Solved HDMI CEC not working with Sony TV (LE7.90.005 RPi3)
Resurrecting this thread as I am still having problems with CEC.
Well actually for one evening CEC studdenly started working! Smile
I was so excited I deluded myself that a new version of LE had arrived and miraculously fixed things. But next day, after TV had been in standby with pi left on, it was broken again. But this does give me a glimmer of hope that CEC from pi to Sony TV could be possible.

My setup has changed since I started this thread. I now have a new RPi3 and LE 7.90.005, (so Libcec v3.1.0)
But same Sony TV. I have tried power cycling again, in all kinds of combinations, but no CEC.

So a debug log here http://pastebin.com/uzike67h and it does have a Libcec error
CecLogMessage - RegisterLogicalAddress - vc_cec_set_logical_address(1) returned device is busy (3)

Anyone decipher this?
I guess it would be better to upgrade to 7.90.007, just so you're as current as possible (without switching to bleeding edge builds) - 7.90.005 is based on a version of Kodi released 8 weeks ago (21 Aug).

You could also try my latest test build, as this includes the very latest libcec master (15 commits added after 3.1.0).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-10-17, 15:38)DaveBlake Wrote: Resurrecting this thread as I am still having problems with CEC.
Well actually for one evening CEC studdenly started working! Smile
I was so excited I deluded myself that a new version of LE had arrived and miraculously fixed things. But next day, after TV had been in standby with pi left on, it was broken again. But this does give me a glimmer of hope that CEC from pi to Sony TV could be possible.

My setup has changed since I started this thread. I now have a new RPi3 and LE 7.90.005, (so Libcec v3.1.0)
But same Sony TV. I have tried power cycling again, in all kinds of combinations, but no CEC.

So a debug log here http://pastebin.com/uzike67h and it does have a Libcec error
CecLogMessage - RegisterLogicalAddress - vc_cec_set_logical_address(1) returned device is busy (3)

Anyone decipher this?
You don't by any chance have a PS4 connected too? I had exactly the same intermittent symptoms/error message with pi3/Sony bravia tv, which cleared up when I unplugged the PS4.

Resolved it permanently by isolating the ps4 with a Lindy HDMI CEC less adaptor.

Pretty cheapish fixSmile

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my Nexus 5
No PS4. I have been through removing all devices, changing ports, changing cables etc.

So went with upgrade to LE 7.90.007 as Millhouse suggested, and CEC started working. TV was already on, and just rebooted the RPi to upgrade (no power cycle). Used it all evening and went to bed putting TV in standby, leaving RPi to do what it does (eventually Kodi sleeps?).

Back to it this morning, bring TV out of standby, it sees it has "recorder 1" on CEC (what it was calling Kodi/RPi) but remote buttons do nothing. Of course debug is off at this point (I was watching video last night). Try to sync from TV and it says "communication fails". Reboot RPi, still no CEC.

So i tried installing the upgrade again (put tar in .update folder) with debug on, but this time no CEC. Maybe 007 over 007 didn't do the same things, or maybe debug changed the timing. Do it again without debug, still no CEC this time. Sad

So it seems that I can get CEC to work on rare occassions e.g. once on power cycle of everything, once immediately after an upgrade of LE. But then it loses it when left overnight, and I can not repeat consistently.

Yet to work up the enthusiasm to try the leading edge Millhouse builds, it is the family system and except CEC it works nicely so I don't want to break it.
Installed a Millhouse build (#1015), with the +15 posts on Libcec 3.1.0, no CEC this time either.

Meanwhile anyone care to look at the logs?
(2016-10-18, 13:31)DaveBlake Wrote: Meanwhile anyone care to look at the logs?

Very few people other than opdenkamp really understand the CEC protocol. You may have more luck reporting the issue here:
https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/issues

Ah - I see you have. Make sure CEC is enabled in component specific debugging before capturing the log (I don't think it was).

Otherwise, I'd check if the TV has a way of updating the firmware. It is quite possible it is a TV side issue.
Re-installing 7.90.007 shouldn't make any difference - essentially all you're doing is rebooting the RPi twice.

I think I've seen popcornmix suggest powering off the TV at the wall socket to fully shut down the TV as they can become a little "confused", so maybe try powering everything off including TV and RPi, then power on the TV, then power on the RPi, then try switching to the RPi TV input.

If that fails, try powering on TV, switching to RPi TV input, and then powering on RPi and see if that behaves differently.

With the Milhouse builds (but not official releases) you can "suspend" the RPi but it's just a virtual suspend, all it does is disable power to the HDMI which allows the connected display to go into eco mode - the RPi itself remains fully powered at all times. You can enable this in Settings > System Settings > Power saving > Shutdown function => Suspend (and then set your timer interval). Not sure if this will have any effect on CEC - I've not seen anyone report issues with this - however it might be best to avoid another variable like virtual suspend until we've nailed down what the root cause is.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I got used to not having CEC on my RPi2 and OE, but getting glimpses of it with LE and RPi3 just makes me realise what I am missing. It is certainly different to OE/RPi2 experiences when I gave up before. I'll add my new logs to libcec issue on git, is opdenkamp around on IRC at all do you know?

The TV is happy to CEC with both a Humax PVR and Chromcast devices, it is just the Kodi/RPi3 it doesn't work. I had wondered if it was the pi, but now I have a new one with similar issue. TV firmware is up to date. It sure could be a TV firmware pulse8 interaction timing problem, but my only chance of a fix is on the open source side of things isnt it.

Going slightly bonkers with combinations of power up, so far nothing works consistently. On that one occasion pulling the plug on the lot and then back in gave me CEC, but never since. I won't confuse things with suspend.

Oh well at least the family have become Millhouse build test bunnies, maybe that will be useful.
After much help from other devs, thank you all sincerely, it turns out that my current CEC problems are caused by the Humax PVR.

I had wrongly assumed that my issues with OE/Pi2 were the same as those occurring now with LE/Pi3, but that was a mistake. I will never know why OE/Pi2 couldn't CEC (when I had no other CEC devices), but it is clear now that my RPi3 with LE 7.95 can CEC to my Sony TV as long as I do not have the Humax connected.

The underlying cause would seem to be that the Humax uses an Amlogic chip set and (for those that get the tech talk)
Quote:From what I can tell the Humax could be running an Amlogic chip and there is issues with Amlogic's u-boot CEC code that causes interfere with the CEC communication for all connected devices once the device in in standby mode (my Sony TV stops seeing other devices). The hw chip gets stuck after some tx/rx and seems to hog the hdmi cec line.

So even in standby mode the Humax was cocking up the CEC messages.

Of course because I was comming from a setup that could not CEC at all, and I had owened the Humax for months, I misinterpreted the experience of CEC partially working with new LE/RPi3 as being something to do with Kodi or LibCEC.

Work around for the Humax issue: either I bring the Humax out of standby when using Kodi (and sometimes would need to reboot too), or I replace the HDMI cable connecting it to the TV with one that can not CEC.
Can standby be disabled on the Humax?
(2016-10-29, 14:42)Milhouse Wrote: Can standby be disabled on the Humax?
Yes, or at least I think I could just leave it on, but perhaps it has an auto sleep. But with the exception of the Pi (because the only way to turn on/off is to get at the plug) I do try to turn off appliances that aren't being used. Of course the PVR has to be alive enough to check for recording start.

Persoanlly I have a bit of a hate-hate releationship with the Humax, CEC is just the last in a list. The original PVR was a delight to use and a deserved market leader, series track was always dodgy but it was early days for such high tech. I finally upgraded model to get HD, but there isn't much I like about the new one. The UI has followed the fashion of modern "smart" interfaces - less information on screen at a time and many more key presses to do anything. Even my elderly mother mastered using the old one even though she still talked about "tapes", the new version she would be lost (if she was still alive that is)

I don't understand the Amlogic chip set problem, but the Humax firmware gets updated fairly regularly. Maybe I could feedback the issue to them and hope they fix it?

I have been waiting for someone to suggest I use Kodi as PVR, and ditch the Humax completely Smile
Probably worth dropping Humax a line just in case they're not aware of the issue... I've always thought they were quite a decent manufacturer from the reviews of their gear, although I've never owned anything of theirs, but you never know they might be able to do something, particularly if you can provide them with some technical details such as a link to the Github issue.

My PVR is a 16 year old Series 1 TiVo running Linux 2.1.24 (last updated Feb 2002) and connected to my Sky HD box which - because the Sky UI is so slow and cumbersome - I use as little as possible other than to act as the source for the TiVo. Happy to report there are no CEC issues with my TiVo. Smile
Hi,

I just registered on this forum because of this issue and a solution I found in this thread (today!): http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=177937 that helped me with my setup.

(2013-11-13, 16:46)hamkaas Wrote: First the solution:
In XBMC → Settings → System → Input Devices → Peripherals → CEC Adapter:
set "Physical address" to 1000 instead of 0
This value corresponds with AVR connected to HDMI port 1 on the TV, so:
XBMC device → AVR (non-CEC)→ TV(HDMI1)

My setup is a LG TV to Sony Receiver over hdmi arc and my RPi3 w LibreElec also connected over hdmi to the Sony. WIth the suggested solution proposed in the other thread the RPi turns up as a cec device and I at least have control over Kodi with my tv remote. I have however not been successful in getting the receiver to switch to the correct audio source though and I'm not sure that will be possible either.
(2016-10-29, 14:42)Milhouse Wrote: Kann der Standby-Modus auf dem Humax deaktiviert werden?
I had the equal problem with a Sony TV X9005, Topfield PVR2410 Twinreceiver an a Denon X3500H AVR.
with  "Standby-Modus"  aktiv - not passiv, cec works now fine.
... it was a long time to the solution  - Thanks

ps: Google Translate, argh ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI CEC not working with Sony TV (LE7.90.005 RPi3)0