Deinterlacing for 1080i LiveTV?
Hi,

I was playing around with my RPi2 and it is really doing things well. I'm using VDR backend on my my server, and connect from the RPi2 client using VNSI.

The official OE releases are not so good with 1080i deinterlacing. I see that in Kodi 16.0 testbuilds there is a new type (or improved) deinterlacing for 1080i material. Can you tell me is it better in what aspect, does it handle 1080i50 LiveTV material much better then official builds, or I should not hope too much, 1080i50 with high quality (at least as ION) deinterlacing is just too much for RPi2?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231092

Thank!
The Milhouse test builds do yadif2 style deinterlace at 1080i50 / 1080i60 which is high quality.
The official builds do this for SD (although there is a bug in 5.0.8 which is fixed in 5.95.3 which reduces the quality).
They use a simpler Bob deinterlace for HD.

The HD advanced deinterlace is still being tested/tweaked, and requires overclock, so is only recommended for testers.
It will appear in stable builds when it's ready.
Thanks popcornmix, these are good news indeed!

I was doing some testing on my pi few weeks ago, and I used one of the Milhouse test builds Kodi 16.0, I can't check just atm which version.

But if Pi2 is capable of yadif2 deinterlacing at 1080i50 then it is a major advance compared to poor Bob.

If I go with the #0730 build, then yadif2 should be already included for 1080i50? How can I enable it, using MMAL-Advanced type?
Just a quick help, what is the recommended overclocking for this to work?
(2015-07-31, 13:11)gurabli Wrote: Thanks popcornmix, these are good news indeed!

I was doing some testing on my pi few weeks ago, and I used one of the Milhouse test builds Kodi 16.0, I can't check just atm which version.

But if Pi2 is capable of yadif2 deinterlacing at 1080i50 then it is a major advance compared to poor Bob.

If I go with the #0730 build, then yadif2 should be already included for 1080i50? How can I enable it, using MMAL-Advanced type?

Try (in config.txt):
Code:
gpu_freq=300
force_turbo=1

and set the deinterlace method to "Advanced" and "save as default for all videos"
(2015-07-31, 13:14)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-07-31, 13:11)gurabli Wrote: Thanks popcornmix, these are good news indeed!

Try (in config.txt):
Code:
gpu_freq=300
force_turbo=1

and set the deinterlace method to "Advanced" and "save as default for all videos"

Thanks! I will do this with the latest build and the settings you recommended tonight once I'm home.
Setting deinterlace to Advanced should be using OSD while playing a 1080i tv stream (video options), or in the system configurations?

I ask this, because there are quite a lot of combinations available in Vide Acc. system menu, which one to chose and enable, disable?
(2015-07-31, 13:18)gurabli Wrote: Thanks! I will do this with the latest build and the settings you recommended tonight once I'm home.
Setting deinterlace to Advanced should be using OSD while playing a 1080i tv stream (video options), or in the system configurations?

I ask this, because there are quite a lot of combinations available in Vide Acc. system menu, which one to chose and enable, disable?

Deinterlace is configured through OSD when playing a video. Doesn't matter if the video you are playing is interlaced or 1080i.
If you choose "set as default for all media it will apply to everything.

Make sure "Deinterlace video" is set to "auto" and "Deinterlace method" is set to "MMAL - Advanced". Then "Set as default for all media"
Excellent, I do this and will check how does this perform (especially compared to ION deinterlacing, which is really great). Will report here back for sure!
I was using build 0717, now I'm updating to latest 0730 and will report back here my findings regarding livetv 1080i50 deinterlacing.

OK, updated and watched some soccer, news, etc. in 1080i50. I must say I'm very impressed by the quality! Perhaps my nVidia ION is maybe a little better on deinterlacing, but hard to tell, it is possible that I only imagine this. Perfectly good quality for livetv!

For overclocking i have the following:

arm_freq=950
core_freq=400
gpu_freq=300
v3d_freq=400
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=6

force_turbo=1

disable_overscan=1

Not sure if these settings are correct or not, seams to me it is working fine.
Also, not sure about the overscan setting, should it be 0 or 1? How does this affect the picture?

According to System Info, CPU temperature is 71 C.

One thing I noticed whit this, and the previous builds too: with MMAL-Advanced on some 1080i50 channels the top line of the picture is flickering. I managed to overcome this by setting zoom level to 1.01, this minimal adjustment solves the problem, no flickering, or at least it is not visible.

I have Adjust refresh rate and Sync disabled.
Under Acceleration OMXPlayer is enabled.

These are my first findings and impressions. Great work, I must admit. If there are any recommendations how can I make settings even better, please share with me.
disable_overscan is not used by Kodi, so just delete it (it may have a minor efffect on the splash screen of openelec before kodi loads"
Ok, I'll remove overscan line.

The rest of the overclock settings are fine like this?

Any other recommendations or tips?

This little pi2 is really amazing, especially thanks for your excellent work!

Since there is no resume/standby on pi, should I just leave it on at the Kodi home screen when not in use? Or any other power saving options?

Btw, are these build available for Minibian too or just OE?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deinterlacing for 1080i LiveTV?0