differentiate between holding button and normal button press
Lightbulb 
Hey guys,

as everyone here knows, xbmc is now awesomer than ever, and it's really hard to find good suggestions for such a perfect app, but i think this one is plausible.

Is it possible to let XBMC differentiate between a normal button press (on the dvd remote for example) and a long press (holding the button)? because that would be awesome, we can use this to assign held buttons for alot of options, like instead of pressing the power button to turn off the xbox (which i often do by mistake) it would be by holding down the power button for 2 secs or something, and other stuff like if you hold down a number button it would go directly to a window, like holding down 1 would go to the videos tab, and 2 for music... etc

i hope i was clear enough for you guys to get what i mean, thanks again for your awesome work.
you cannot use the power button in this way because it is a hard electronic switch beyond the control of the software.
the other suggestions feel to me to be 100% unneccessary and will only serve to make XBMC even more confusing for the n00b users...
SleepyP Wrote:you cannot use the power button in this way because it is a hard electronic switch beyond the control of the software.
the other suggestions feel to me to be 100% unneccessary and will only serve to make XBMC even more confusing for the n00b users...

i dont agree with you on that, maybe your on remote the power button is hard switch, my remote for example sends a constant signal just like the volume button for example (i got an infrared sensor), and this suggestion has already been implemented in xbmc in stuff like fast scrolling (if you keep pressing channel up/down), or volume increase/decrease rate if you also keep pressing on their appropriate buttons, so this can be done, and yes it's usefull to me (and i'm sure alot others)... as for noobs, they can simply like... not use it! (or maybe learn to?)
I believe SleepyP is talking about the power button on the actual Xbox as opposed to DiGiTaL_SiN which I think is talking about a mapped "power button" on the remote.

Actually... I think that this would not be a new feature. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think XBMP had this feature. Where you could map one function to the button for when you just press it once and another for when you hold it down.

It could defiantly be useful for instance as a power off button on the remote. Clicking it once could bring up the shutdown/restart/logoff menu, while holding it down could shut the Xbox right off.
That's exactly what i mean,

I actually have a Radioshak universal remote, which has a function on it's power button where you can set a button combo to be executed when you press it (buttons macro). I have it set exactly like what you said, if you press the button a single quick press, it brings up the shutdown menu, but if you hold it down, it opens the shutdown menu, and presses OK, which will result in the xbox shutting down Big Grin

However, this is just a workaround, and will only work if you've got a universal remote with a recording function like the one i mentioned. it would be nice to see XBMC support holding buttons nativly.
Or holding down the stop button for 4 seconds causes the xbox to eject. A lot of DVD players will do that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
differentiate between holding button and normal button press0