Questions on keeping Kodi consolidated for purposes of backup
Hey there,

So I've been using Kodi for a while now, and have been endlessly tinkering the entire time. I've finally gotten Kodi to operate how I want it to, but I'm curious about how to best keep it backed up.

I see the Kodi Backup addon, which I'm able to use. However, I'm confused on the difference between the following folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi
C:\Users\[Me]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi

It seems as though the roaming folder is what gets backed up. Is that truly the only thing I need to have backed up if I ever make a complete re-install of Kodi to restore from?

The reason I ask is that both of those folders has a 'userdata' folder, and I have some thumbnails, fanart, etc saved in the Program Files one. However, I'm thinking I need to get everything I want backed up placed into the Roaming folder and just forget about the Program Files one. Is that correct?

In addition to that, I'm worried that my install of Kodi has gotten somewhat bloated. I have tons of old addons/repos/scripts/skins that I no longer use, and I'm trying to figure out how to best "reset" myself to a clean install, but still have the addons/repos/scripts that I do intend to use. Is there any great way to consolidate things easily? Maybe delete everything that isn't enabled?
Generally all you need is in roaming. Note that the concept of that folder is you can have multiple users on your windows system, each could have their own settings, etc. If you just have a single user, or all users have identical settings/library, you might consider running Kodi in portable mode instead (use a shortcut with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe" -p). That way everything is in the single "Kodi" folder.

scott s.
Also typically speaking admin rights are needed to write stuff into the Program Files (x86) folder and sub-folders.

There's no guarantee that the user account running Kodi will have those available, and if not then you'll be in all sorts of problems when you try to run it and actually use it. Hence why the individual user data is saved into the appdata folder, where you will have access.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Ok, sounds good. I've moved all pertinent files into the appdata folder.

Does anyone have further insight on how I can best "clean out" my version of Kodi? I've got lots of old repo's/addons/scripts/skins, that I no longer use. I can always start from scratch and just install the necessary addons, but I was just curious if there might be a better way before going into that.
(2015-08-11, 11:23)DarrenHill Wrote: Also typically speaking admin rights are needed to write stuff into the Program Files (x86) folder and sub-folders.

There's no guarantee that the user account running Kodi will have those available, and if not then you'll be in all sorts of problems when you try to run it and actually use it. Hence why the individual user data is saved into the appdata folder, where you will have access.

Good point. I never install anything to Program Files myself, but that's a personal choice. Obviously MS designed Program Files to protect users.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions on keeping Kodi consolidated for purposes of backup0