Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo
(2015-08-11, 19:17)Eleazar Coding Wrote: As I said, our add-on was quite different

So let me get this straight, you used/abused an existing add-on id to create a "quite different" add-on and are now upset when the original add-on is updated? Why didn't you just create your own unique add-on id rather than attempt to hijack the original? Whenever an add-on is forked you shouldn't continue to use the original id (at least, not without agreement from the original author).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
This add-on was in our repository for the past several years, and has been linked to in official USTVnow documentation, and we've done a lot to make it more user friendly. We didn't use or abuse any existing add-on, when we began maintaining it it had not been working for a long time prior. it wasn't in the official repository until last month.

I've been thinking a bit about this and I don't mind it being in the official repository, it will probably be easier for users in the long run there anyway, but I do think that this general issue should be addressed on a universal scale in order to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I've messaged Lunatixz and hopefully we'll be able to work together to bring some of the changes we made in order to improve user experience in our version, to his version and the official repository.
(2015-08-11, 19:17)Eleazar Coding Wrote: In addition to the fact that USTVnow's site has been linking to ours for years: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions

Just want you to know I spoke with my contacts at USTVnow and they removed those outdated instructions from their website. I asked them to redirect users to Kodi, and the forums here.

Honestly I think it's always going to be in the best interests of everyone to leave code clean, void of advertisements and in the official repository.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2015-08-12, 00:04)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2015-08-11, 19:17)Eleazar Coding Wrote: In addition to the fact that USTVnow's site has been linking to ours for years: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions

Just want you to know I spoke with my contacts at USTVnow and they removed those outdated instructions from their website. I asked them to redirect users to Kodi, and the forums here.

Whoa
Just to make things clear, there are no ads in our version of this addon, the fact that people keep repeating that is just nonsense.

Our code is clean and much easier for newbies to use. With that being said, there's clearly no respect or fairness in this thread, so we'll be forced to rename our addon, even though we've been using this addon ID longer than the version that we are discussing.

I feel that we're being treated unfairly and being bullied in this situation. We had this addon ID in use for over 2 years with over 800,000 installs, now our users are getting updates from another developer instead of from the developer who's addon they installed, seems fair lol.

We're going ahead and changing our addon ID (this is the second time we've had to do this) - hopefully it won't happen again; but clearly based on the way this issue was addressed i'm sure it will happen again sooner or later.
to get respect you have to earn respect
(2015-08-11, 20:59)Eleazar Coding Wrote: This add-on was in our repository for the past several years, and has been linked to in official USTVnow documentation, and we've done a lot to make it more user friendly. We didn't use or abuse any existing add-on, when we began maintaining it it had not been working for a long time prior. it wasn't in the official repository until last month.

I've been thinking a bit about this and I don't mind it being in the official repository, it will probably be easier for users in the long run there anyway, but I do think that this general issue should be addressed on a universal scale in order to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I've messaged Lunatixz and hopefully we'll be able to work together to bring some of the changes we made in order to improve user experience in our version, to his version and the official repository.

I'm not trying to float my own boat, but your version wasn't that functional... Most/if not all users were using my version, it's been like this for almost two years... Both forums have multiple posts on the subject.

I reviewed your code, Only changes I noticed was a registration assistant... That featured a lot of self serving name dropping... which is what I meant by ads.

I'd be happy to work with anyone to improve the Kodi user experience. As long as there is a basic understanding that pushing a healthy Kodi experience is my primary goal.

again... I never meant to step on any toes with the addon id.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I've just gone ahead and deleted the current addon from our repository (where it's been for over two years, as opposed to Lunatixz version that has only been on it for a month or so) and put up a new one under a new addon ID and new addon name for that matter.

I still think that it's unfair to say that it wasn't "that functional." It does everything yours does, in addition to having a easy registration assistant at the beginning so that newbies can actually use the addon as opposed to opening something they have no idea how to use. I don't exactly see anything that I'd call "self serve name dropping" either.

There's also no way in the world that more people were using yours than ours, ours has been installed with every single Wizard and TVMC configuration since XBMC HUB was launched, that's millions of installs. We also have hundreds of shares on Facebook for our guide on using this addon. In addition to the fact that until today our addon was the only one listed on official USTVnow documentation.

I'm more than willing to make compromises, but to have users like @helta read this thread and tell me that I haven't earned any respect in this community is just insulting.

Now, I'd appreciate if you could get in touch with me over live chat @Lunatixz (I sent you my details by PM) so that we can hopefully work together to provide a better user experience to USTVnow users, since now all of our users are now out of nowhere (without any consent whatsoever) using your plugin instead of the one they installed from our site for the past two years.
(2015-08-12, 01:43)Eleazar Coding Wrote: I feel that we're being treated unfairly and being bullied in this situation. We had this addon ID in use for over 2 years with over 800,000 installs, now our users are getting updates from another developer instead of from the developer who's addon they installed, seems fair lol.

So you're saying you don't like it when people get messaging that suggests that the work you did is being done by somebody else? This is seriously the best thread I've read in a long time. I almost hope Lunatixz asks for donations based on your work next. The irony is just so delightful!
I didn't say that, I said that users who specifically installed our add-on are now receiving updates from a totally different add-on author - that has nothing to do with naive newbies (who couldn't care less) confusing Kodi with TV ADDONS - the two go hand in hand which is why users are confused about that, not because our site suggests it - because it doesn't.

Anyway, I'd like this thread closed at this point to avoid it turning into another bullying match against me.

PS: THE USERS WHO CONFUSE OFFICIAL KODI WITH TV ADDONS ONLY USE KODI FOR ONE REASON - FREE TV! THAT'S ALL THEY CARE ABOUT WHICH IS WHY THEY CONFUSE IT. PLEASE STOP BLAMING US!

I still love you guys and everything you do, hope one day you'll see that all I've done was tried to help.
We will stop blaming you 2 years after you removed ever single instance of the word Kodi from your site.
(2015-08-12, 06:39)Eleazar Coding Wrote: I still love you guys and everything you do, hope one day you'll see that all I've done was tried to help.

you have done nothing to help.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
We should add some sort of identity hash on addon.xml files for the future to prevent serving and addon via different repos. I think we even started discussing that - so at least the user gets a hint like:

"this addon is provided via multiple repositories - the newest version of that addon is now available from a different repository then the one you have installed - how do you want to proceed"
"a. only update from the current used repository in the future"
"b. update the addon from the new repository from now on"
"c. Start bashing Eleazar Coding (for the nights watch)"

Obviously this is some serious feature which needs some major rework (basically a new table in our database which connects and addon to its repo and a check if this connection is about to change during addon updates).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-12, 10:48)Memphiz Wrote: We should add some sort of identity hash on addon.xml files for the future to prevent serving and addon via different repos. I think we even started discussing that - so at least the user gets a hint like:

"this addon is provided via multiple repositories - the newest version of that addon is now available from a different repository then the one you have installed - how do you want to proceed"
"a. only update from the current used repository in the future"
"b. update the addon from the new repository from now on"
"c. Start bashing Eleazar Coding (for the nights watch)"

Obviously this is some serious feature which needs some major rework (basically a new table in our database which connects and addon to its repo and a check if this connection is about to change during addon updates).

At least something useful is coming out of this thread Smile

That's a good idea, though I'm wondering if another option (if remotely feasible) where you can have both versions installed at the same time? I know this doesn't fit with folder naming conventions currently, perhaps add a small hash of some sort to the folder names?

But consider this USTVNow situation, users may wish to try out both and decide for themselves which one they choose to use, having both available allows some comparison shopping

Obviously a simple addon id/folder name isn't going to be enough in the future as this isn't the first addon collision or hijack that we've seen, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this no matter what's in the official repo

ps. The hijack was another incident, not inferring in any way that is situation was one
Allowing multiple installs of add-ons with the same id seems like such a significant complication for such a rare, if not entirely contrived, situation. I bet it rarely if ever happens (outside of developer circles). Anyone that wants to make it happen can simply unpack one of the add-ons and manually change the id.

Add-ons with the same ids should be avoided if possible. If I were to create a new add-on when one already existed, and my version is on steroids, it's down to me to choose a unique id (it can be similar to the existing id, but not the same).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo0