Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo
(2015-08-12, 19:15)Milhouse Wrote: Allowing multiple installs of add-ons with the same id seems like such a significant complication for such a rare, if not entirely contrived, situation. I bet it rarely if ever happens (outside of developer circles). Anyone that wants to make it happen can simply unpack one of the add-ons and manually change the id.

Add-ons with the same ids should be avoided if possible. If I were to create a new add-on when one already existed, and my version is on steroids, it's down to me to choose a unique id (it can be similar to the existing id, but not the same).

.... but what if you chose to use the same id?

I guess it comes down to how well you guys want to protect the integrity of the addons, obviously conflicts will only happen via 3rd parties and not within the official repo, so it's a matter of if the Kodi team feels it's important enough to put in an extra mechanism to protect against such situations where it primarily affects unofficial repo's?

Multiple installs was just a suggestion to see what the feedback would be, I think it would be nice for novice users to be able to do, but I'm gathering to be too difficult a change at this point
I also distribute a version of USTV Now for my users. (On-Tapp.TV)
I changed some code so that my add-on would trigger it properly.

I long ago changed the id and name to avoid this kind of thing.

I've recently updated the code with the changes Lunatixz made (I credit you in my add-on description).
I think the website changed?

I'd consider removing mine and directing to the one on the Kodi repo... but I feel I have to ask one thing of Lunatixz.

Do you get any commission/referral fee from USTV Now if a user subscribes at the site to use your copy?
(2015-08-13, 16:29)DixieDean Wrote: I also distribute a version of USTV Now for my users. (On-Tapp.TV)
I changed some code so that my add-on would trigger it properly.

I long ago changed the id and name to avoid this kind of thing.

I've recently updated the code with the changes Lunatixz made (I credit you in my add-on description).
I think the website changed?

I'd consider removing mine and directing to the one on the Kodi repo... but I feel I have to ask one thing of Lunatixz.

Do you get any commission/referral fee from USTV Now if a user subscribes at the site to use your copy?

The only referral link I have is on my personal website, and the only forum mention of my website is related to a different plugin.

I do not direct users to sign up and there is no mention of my personal website in the plugin itself:
https://github.com/Lunatixz/XBMC_Addons/.../addon.xml

I'd agree that our plugins are a mirror copy, and one version left on the official repo makes things a lot easier for the both of us...

If at anytime you want to push code, fork my repo and i'll be happy to add anything along with credits to you.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
OK cool.

What I'll do is install your copy and check if it works with my EPG (which I reckon it should) and if that's OK, I'll let you know.

I'll also take mine out of my repo. It's not a dependency on my other stuff so all I'd hopefully need to do is change my ini file.

It would give me one less thing to think about too. lol
(2015-08-13, 15:41)Eldorado Wrote: .... but what if you chose to use the same id?

Then you're making a rod for your own back and that of your users, and (this is just a guess on my part) you will get no sympathy when you eventually ask for the original add-on to change it's id to avoid a conflict with your new add-on... Wink
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-13, 17:02)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-13, 15:41)Eldorado Wrote: .... but what if you chose to use the same id?

Then you're making a rod for your own back and that of your users, and (this is just a guess on my part) you will get no sympathy when you eventually ask for the original add-on to change it's id to avoid a conflict with your new add-on... Wink

Oh definitely of course!

But just to be clear, this situation here is in the reverse where the 3rd party already existed for some time before the official repo had one submitted, so I guess it's up to the Kodi team to decide if they wish to put any effort into adding a more unique key/hash to addons rather than depending on just the addon id

I still like my multi install idea tho Smile
(2015-08-14, 18:01)Eldorado Wrote:
(2015-08-13, 17:02)Milhouse Wrote:

Oh definitely of course!

But just to be clear, this situation here is in the reverse where the 3rd party already existed for some time before the official repo had one submitted, so I guess it's up to the Kodi team to decide if they wish to put any effort into adding a more unique key/hash to addons rather than depending on just the addon id

I still like my multi install idea tho Smile
If you allow 'multi install' then you need a new id to "really" identify addons, and you are back to square one! I can assure you it ill never happen as the entire purpose of the addon id existing in the first place is to uniquely identify an addon. What you want (to prevent "hijacking") is the ability to sign addons.
What I would like to see in Kodi (as a security measure) is the addon manager blocking the update of a given addon if the same id is in the official repository (and installed on the system maybe) even if the addon version elsewhere is higher. Some time ago I installed a known russian 3rd party repository and it updated my youtube addon automatically without exactly "my consent".
binding an addon to the repo it was installed from...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
So this 'USTVNow' is a legit service? I mean, it has to be or this thread would have been shut down, right? I just find that interesting.

Also, this is the best Eleazar Coding thread yet! Big Grin
(2015-08-14, 21:57)DJ_Izumi Wrote: So this 'USTVNow' is a legit service? I mean, it has to be or this thread would have been shut down, right? I just find that interesting.

Also, this is the best Eleazar Coding thread yet! Big Grin

Yes it's legal...
@Lunatixz: re. my earlier posts above.
I've done a few updates on my repo, including retiring my copy of USTV Now.

The official one works fine with On-Tapp.TV so all is cool. Smile (plus it saves me maintaining it).
@DixieDean, Cool... if you ever have a suggestion or code to add let me know Smile
Will do. Smile

Thanks
Is there any way for a user to protect themselves from conflicts like this happening?

I have to disagree with what I read as official team dev's seeming to suggest that this sort of thing is somebody else's problem -
since a conflict can be initiated by any repo in any direction, this is everyone's problem and best solved by kodi.

Personally I like Memphiz' idea with respect to binding addon to repository it was installed from. From the user perspective, there isn't even a way to identify what addon is installed from what repository.

This happens more than one would like to think esp. when old abandonware addons get maintained intermittently by different parties and someone adds them to their personal repo or what have you. The permissive nature of the addon system is kind of an unnecessary security risk too IMO.

I'm personally in the unhappy position of wanting the latest updates on some not-centrally-maintained addons, and certain repos do a halfway decent job of issuing updates, but then one has to accept all the rest of their crap and trust their judgement about not touching my existing addons. It's not a comfortable situation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo0