• 20(current)
Music Development
(2015-12-18, 03:56)scott967 Wrote: I think there is a bug. User reported this in windows support. It looks like when ID3 v2.3 tags are used and the default separator (space-slash-space) is used in ARTISTS or ALBUM ARTISTS tags the second artist is stored with a leading space (tested with UTF-16 encoding in ID3 2.3 tags, then changed tags to ISO 8859-1 and updated with no change).

I think you are right Scott, I'll see if I can get a fix into Jarvis.

But before I meddle I am a little unclear why we treat splitting the TXXX:ARTISTS tag by the separator so differently from splitting other tags? For most tags we just call StringListToVectorString(stringList) regardless of version, but for ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS for version < 2.4 we call StringListToVectorString(TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit(stringList.front(), TagLib::String("/"))). Maybe something in the ID3 definition I am missing, and Evilhamster doesn't seem to be around to ask. Anyone know a bit more?

My thinking is that we should be calling TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit with g_advancedSettings.m_musicItemSeparator (default slash-space-slash) rather than a hard coded "/" no spaces.
I don't know about id3 definition, but in Yatse I do trim starting and leading slash since a very long time to address that and never had any complain or remark about it.
(2015-12-19, 20:16)Tolriq Wrote: I don't know about id3 definition, but in Yatse I do trim starting and leading slash since a very long time to address that and never had any complain or remark about it.

Not quite sure what you are saying, sorry. ARTISTS (note the S) tag has not been around long, and I don't think Kodi has been returning trailing and leading slashes, or at least I hope not. So what slashes have you been trimming?

The immediate problem seems to be with TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit. Given parameter "/" (no spaces) as current code it brakes and removes slash but leaves trailing and leading spaces in a tag with " / " as required elsewhere by Kodi. So ARTISTS = "AAA / BBB" becomes "AAA " and " BBB". But given parameter " / " it breaks at space and leaves the slash e.g. "AAA" and "/ BBB".

Additional to that odd behaviour I don't understand why we are using TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit anyway?
Sorry I trim space, was reading your post while answering :p
(2015-12-19, 20:07)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 03:56)scott967 Wrote: I think there is a bug. User reported this in windows support. It looks like when ID3 v2.3 tags are used and the default separator (space-slash-space) is used in ARTISTS or ALBUM ARTISTS tags the second artist is stored with a leading space (tested with UTF-16 encoding in ID3 2.3 tags, then changed tags to ISO 8859-1 and updated with no change).

But before I meddle I am a little unclear why we treat splitting the TXXX:ARTISTS tag by the separator so differently from splitting other tags? For most tags we just call StringListToVectorString(stringList) regardless of version, but for ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS for version < 2.4 we call StringListToVectorString(TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit(stringList.front(), TagLib::String("/"))). Maybe something in the ID3 definition I am missing, and Evilhamster doesn't seem to be around to ask. Anyone know a bit more?

My thinking is that we should be calling TagLib::StringList:Confusedplit with g_advancedSettings.m_musicItemSeparator (default slash-space-slash) rather than a hard coded "/" no spaces.

I suppose related to the long-standing 2.3 issue that ARTIST tag spec calls for just the "slash". Every other tag (other than TCOM which Kodi doesn't use) has no spec and every software uses its own convention. Kodi has the default space-slash-space, which I always thought was intended mainly for use in nfo files (or xml for music library import). Using space-slash-space in 2.3 tags I always found problematic, which led me to take advantage of the "prioritiseapetags" that existed in advancedsettings so I could leave my 2.3 tags alone and just tweak the APE tags for Kodi.

At one point there was a problem with multiple MBIDs in TXXX: tag and IIRC the solution was to allow various separators. This worked because MBID had a known format, but for the ARTISTS we don't have that luxury. ISTM that the Kodi defined separator (default space-slash-space or as set by user) should be used in parsing the tags. I don't know about Picard, but in MediaMonkey the user can specify the separator to be written to tags (except the TPE1 and TCOM which force just the slash). MM defaults to semicolon-space as does other software (based on observation of tagged files). It tends to be an issue for GENRE (TCON) as that often has multiple values. However we currently handle TCON I think should work the same for ARTISTS.

scott s.
(2015-12-19, 23:18)scott967 Wrote:
(2015-12-19, 20:07)DaveBlake Wrote:

I suppose related to the long-standing 2.3 issue that ARTIST tag spec calls for just the "slash". Every other tag (other than TCOM which Kodi doesn't use) has no spec and every software uses its own convention. Kodi has the default space-slash-space, which I always thought was intended mainly for use in nfo files (or xml for music library import). Using space-slash-space in 2.3 tags I always found problematic, which led me to take advantage of the "prioritiseapetags" that existed in advancedsettings so I could leave my 2.3 tags alone and just tweak the APE tags for Kodi.

At one point there was a problem with multiple MBIDs in TXXX: tag and IIRC the solution was to allow various separators. This worked because MBID had a known format, but for the ARTISTS we don't have that luxury. ISTM that the Kodi defined separator (default space-slash-space or as set by user) should be used in parsing the tags. I don't know about Picard, but in MediaMonkey the user can specify the separator to be written to tags (except the TPE1 and TCOM which force just the slash). MM defaults to semicolon-space as does other software (based on observation of tagged files). It tends to be an issue for GENRE (TCON) as that often has multiple values. However we currently handle TCON I think should work the same for ARTISTS.

Thanks for the input Scott, very helpful to be able to discuss this. The IDE 2.3 spec does call for just "slash" in TPE1 (artist) creating the "AC/DC problem". But, just as you thought, Kodi will always use its seperator setting when parsing tags (with the current exception of ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tag where "slash" is hard coded). Not sure what issues you encountered with using space-slash-space in 2.3 tags, but if MediaMonkey does force "slash" without spaces for TPE1 then Kodi will see it as a single artist unless the separator setting changed to just "slash" too.

From the data I think "semi-colon" makes a better name separator than slash. Zag did a search for me on TADB, and while there are artists with "/" in their name e.g. AC/DC, there were none with ";" although there is probably some exception out there somewhere. General support for multiple input separators is attractive, say both "semi-colon" and "space-slash-space" and ensure that we trim any white space in the individual extracted artist names, but I digress from the bug in hand.

I don't see where TXXX tag spec in 2.3 varies from 2.4, so why Evilhamster coded ARTISTS for the versions differently. I wish he was around to ask. I will search Git for some clues.
It used to be that a multi-disc album in the library would display the tracks like so...

So the first disc comes first, then the tracks for the second disc. With recent Jarvis builds, however, tracks are now ordered as follows for multi-disc albums. And I have the disc number field in the tags filled out.

Is there any way to get them to sort the way they used to? It doesn't make any sense for them to be sorted the way they currently are. Thanks!
I'm not sure we have got music sorting quite right with the changes that are in Jarvis, but in initial testing I am unable to repeat the problem. Which Jarvis build are you using?

Also I am using Confluence, not sure if skin can make a difference but which skin are you using?

[Edit: a daft question true, but with bugs devil is always in the details]
At a guess his own skin Wink

Maybe a daft question, but you do have Sort by track selected?
(2016-01-09, 13:21)jjd-uk Wrote: At a guess his own skin Wink

Maybe a daft question, but you do have Sort by track selected?
Good guess, but I've been using a mod of Arctic Zephyr for a while now. Wink Haven't been using Mimic but plan to keep it alive.

My bad guys, thanks for checking. I had it set to sort by Name rather than Track. Duh! I didn't realize because I was looking at the music playlist window rather than the library view. All good now...

One more question...Is there currently an issue with showing album art in MyMusicPlaylist.xml? Tested in multiple skins and I can't get album art to show in the music playlist window.

Here's my log, along with the excerpt below...

http://pastebin.com/t0B1NK7d

Code:
10:10:40 T:13412   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (MyMusicPlaylist.xml) ------
10:10:40 T:13412    INFO: Loading skin file: MyMusicPlaylist.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
10:10:41 T:13412   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (playlistmusic://)
10:10:41 T:13412   DEBUG:   ParentPath = []
10:10:41 T:12452   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
10:10:41 T:12452   ERROR: CArchive::streamin_bufferwrap: can't stream in: requested 1852729455 bytes, was read 4532332 bytes
10:10:41 T:12452   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::Run - Unhandled exception
10:10:41 T:12452   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader 12452 terminating
10:10:41 T:13412   DEBUG: RetrieveMusicInfo() took 532 msec
10:10:41 T:15904   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
10:10:41 T:15904   ERROR: CBackgroundInfoLoader::Run - Unhandled exception
10:10:41 T:15904   DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader 15904 terminating

Thanks, appreciate it!

Update: Strange, I found one album art that showed up in the music playlist. Rest were empty though. Tried again, now I got artwork for the first 7 of 10 playlist items.
Good catch jjd.

Missing art a cache issue maybe? Art for 7 out of 10 sounds very odd. I have chased my tail quite a few times over cache and switching versions for testing, so clear out the .fi files and see if the problem mysteriously vanishes. If not then will dig some more.
Right again Dave, thanks! Probably had this issue ever since moving to a new htpc. It was weird that only music playlists were affected, didn't have any art issues in the library. Removing MusicPlaylist.fi fixed it.

Thank you!
I've been playing around a bunch with MyMusicPlaylist and with the Jarvis change that allows absolute focus in lists I have it working pretty well with both party mode and regular mode.

scott s.
(2016-01-11, 06:17)scott967 Wrote: I've been playing around a bunch with MyMusicPlaylist and with the Jarvis change that allows absolute focus in lists I have it working pretty well with both party mode and regular mode.

scott s.

Does this mean that the artwork for the currently playing track will be displayed in playlists by default (he asks hopefully) rather than the item in focus usually the first track in the list
I too have been playing with Musicbrainz tagging and Jarvis b4 and having great results. I see in the change log that KODI now pulls artist info from the ARTISTS tag in the files, fixing all my issues with artist1 feat. artist2 problems. The ARTISTS tag has been recently added to Picard with ver. 1.3.2. and the format is ARTIST1/ARTIST2/ARTIST3 and so on. Beyond that KODI still pulls from the ARTIST field in the track naming template, so songs still show up as ARTIST 1 feat. ARTIST 2 as tagged by picard. Brilliant! Even problematic albums like B.B. King - Riding with the King, (Which is a collaboration with Eric Clapton) shows the album under both artists in artist list and all the artwork is as expected too. Then I installed KODI beta5 and it went to hell. It looks like maybe its pulling Artist info from both ARTISTS and ARTIST tags, because again im getting single artists as ie. B.B. King & Eric Clapton but also getting them separately too. Reverted back to Beta4 and happy again. Hope it is fixed before official release or give us the option in the settings to choose which tag to pull from for artist.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Development0