• 3(current)
Music Development
Thanks for your thoughts Paul.

As I see it the mods made by Evilhamster are a general improvement rather than a fix just to suit Picard. The introduction of mucisbrainz ID support in Gotham (I think, I have been trawling a lot of historic code to try and understand the current design, rather than reinvent a previously discarded wheel), and the move towards "artistcredits" intenally as well as having a concatonated artist string and a vector as left a few oddities. I suspect more changes were intended (to eventually get rid of the string and vector) but never happened. But that is about what in under the hood, I think that users want is to be able to control what artist description they see, and have Kodi identify artists so their music can be browsed conveniently. The changes help that.

Any improvement to the music library will have to be backwards compatible (although a re-scan will probably be inevitable), and not Picard specific (I have only used it for test purposes, mostly use Mp3tag).

Totally get what you say about tagging and flexibilty. Not going to shoe-horn anything Smile

Of course we will never please everyone. But the initial hurdle is getting started, especially without an experienced Kodi dev to oversee and authorise changes. No one wants to risk breaking the music library, and the devs don't have the spare capacity to check a load of mods from some new upstart (no matter how well meaning). Changes need to be small and obvious, but that isn't going to get us new functionality. Tricky!
Thanks Dave, all clear. There's obviously a lot of debate on github, and I think Scott is able to understand the issues and explain any concerns far better than I can. Certainly don't want to be negative about the upgrades, it's great you guys (particularly Evilhamster) are taking an intrerest, and a real shame there aren't more dev's into music (or musicians into dev). Wonder what happened to JMarshall.
Unfortunately Jonathan retired some time ago. We miss him real badly Smile
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
In my trawl of Github history to understand the current design, JMarshall and Night199UK have been the main drivers for the music library. Have they both moved on?
Oh, blurghh. Well, if he ever googles his name and comes across this thread - thanks for all you did and all your help Jonathan.
Jep. nIght199uk is kinda mia. Unfortunately it happened when the musicbrainz bomb was placed in the music section.. so we ended up with a "sub-optimal" snapshot (at best).
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Jonathan (JMarshall) had been involved from just about the start the project, so after 10+ years of being around he needed a break, no one knows for sure if he's gone for good, and Night199UK was the main driver behind the Musicbrainz integration, but then I think real life issues came up just after merger of that work and he hasn't contributed anything since, hence why most of us aren't that knowledgeable on the Musicbrainz stuff as it was never properly documented.
So its down to "us" to gratefully and respectfully build on their legacy then Smile
(2015-09-03, 19:04)WelshPaul Wrote: Oh, blurghh. Well, if he ever googles his name and comes across this thread - thanks for all you did and all your help Jonathan.

Just want to be clear, I meant that sincerely not sarcastically. Jonathan was always really helpful and patiently tried his best to resolve any problems novices like me had.
(2015-09-03, 19:34)DaveBlake Wrote: So its down to "us" to gratefully and respectfully build on their legacy then Smile
I just want to be clear too, I meant that sincerely not sarcastically!!

I think Kodi is great, and I really want to contribute to it. After years of earning my keep on all kinds of commercal projects I am looking forward to putting something back into open source, and the music and data side of things is just the right area of interest and expertise.
Great to see the activity, thanks guys!!!

I just tested the test built by mkortstiege (thanks!). Unfortunately, It does not work with my setup. I tested with both MP3 and M4A with same result. The artist view now shows "artist 1 feat. artist 2" rather than showing "artist 1 and "artist 2" as separate entries (as it does for MP3s with Alpha 2). Let me know if I can provide further infos.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2015-09-04, 00:47)steve1977 Wrote: Great to see the activity, thanks guys!!!

I just tested the test built by mkortstiege (thanks!). Unfortunately, It does not work with my setup. I tested with both MP3 and M4A with same result. The artist view now shows "artist 1 feat. artist 2" rather than showing "artist 1 and "artist 2" as separate entries (as it does for MP3s with Alpha 2). Let me know if I can provide further infos.

That is not the expected behavior, would it be possible for you to provide me with the tags of the files so I can figure out why you are having a problem? Could it be that you have removed some/all musicbrainz tags from your music (you wrote something about that as your workaround earlier).
First of all, thanks evilhamster for working on this. Fantastic to see you and Dave working on the music library.

It may also be related to my settings in Kodi? I am only using local data and have disabled "prefered online info".

I have removed the artist-MBID and also the albumartist-MBID. I kept the other MBIDs. Hope the new approach can work without MBIDs as otherwise it would break compatibility with the MP3Tag and other non-Picard users.

How can I extract the tags from the file to send to you?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Without those tags it will treat it like a music file without musicbrainz tags, so it will work like it has always worked (in regards to artists). Look at the following two example:

1)
Artist = Wyclef Jean feat. Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo
Artists=Wyclef Jean / Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo
MusicBrainz Artist Id=4f29ecd7-21a5-4c03-b9ba-d0cfe9488f8c / 7bd9e20e-74b9-446a-a2ed-a223f82a36e7
Will result in two artists in kodi:
Wyclef Jean
Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo

2)
Artist = Wyclef Jean feat. Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo
With result in one artist in kodi:
Wyclef Jean feat. Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo

In both cases the artist displayed when playing will be:
Wyclef Jean feat. Cyndi Lauper aka Luscious Loo Loo

The point in only using the artists tag when the files contains the MusicBrainz Artist Id is to avoid problem with legacy files that also use the artists tag for some unknown reason, if they have both MusicBrainz Artist Id and artists we can be reasonably sure on how we should handle it.

Could you try again (with a re-tagged album where no tags have been removed)?
Got it, so I will need to add the MBZID back to have this working. Is Kodi actually now using it for anything or just a check whether MBZIDs are used for legacy? For example, I will have some albums tagged as follows:

Artist = Favorite artist
Artists=Favorite artist
MusicBrainz Artist Id=4f29ecd7-21a5-4c03-b9ba-d0cfe9488f8c / 7bd9e20e-74b9-446a-a2ed-a223f82a36e7

What will be the result? Please note, there are two MBIDs, but the renamed artist and artists name has just one. Also, the renamed one is different from the ID.

Beside my manual renaming, there is also an issue with alias names (or whatever MBZ calls them). The artist (pulled by Picard) will be the alias name (as referenced for this release), while the MBZ ID always goes back to the original artist name. Do you know what case I am referring to?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Development0