New guy with a question
hey i'm new here and i was wondering...do i need a mod chip in my xbox to use xbox media player?
short anwer: yes
longer answer: may be possible with one of those software mods, where you use a game to get pass the protection. but a mod is so much easier.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

no. you do not need a mod chip. you do need a modded xbox though. that means you need to flash the onboard bios with one of the modified bioses and that will work fine.

the mod chip allows you to switch easily between a modified and original bios which in turn will allow you to use xbox live. if you flash your onboard bios and get onto xbox live you will get banned.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
sometimes it helps to read the faq before posting http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_faq.htm

Quote:q: can you use/run xbox media center on a retail xbox™ without a modchip installed in it?
a: yes, there are some pre-coded hacks (software mods) to run xbmc unmodded, but we do not support how to use them. ps! it is unlikely that xbmc will ever run on unhacked xboxes.
note! we do not support how-to use a software mod or how-to install/use xbox mod-chips.

q: what will a software-mod* or modchip* enable me to do once installed in my retail xbox?
a: many things, these are some interesting options some modchip's will open up:
- enable you to execute homebrew applications/software such as the xboxmediacenter
- install software onto the xbox™ hard drive or launch from cd/dvd+/-r/rw.
- enable you install a much bigger and faster hard drive (originaly xbox has only 8gb),
 (upgrading your harddrive will also speedup loading times and time to bootup an xbox).
- enable you to replace the original xbox™ dvd-rom with a different one, allowing faster loading times and better compatibility of home-burned media like cd-r/rw, dvd+/-r/rw.
- a modchip also allows you play imported xbox™ games & other region dvd movies.
(*this is maybe not legal in your country, check your specific country's law for details).
note! we do not support how-to use a software mod or how-to install/use xbox mod-chips

q: what kind of mod/modchip do i need to install in my xbox™ to use the xboxmediacenter?
a: anyone will do, but we recommend xecuter 2/3, or smartxx or xenium no-solder modchips.
note! xbmc-team and our forums does not support how-to use or install xbox mod-chips!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New guy with a question0