Trying to pick the right kodi box
Hello, Is the "pick the Right Kodi Box" still up to date?
I have the feeling that the landscape changed in a few months...

I'm watching 1080p, most of the time h264. I have around 10% of h265 [8bit] videos, still 1080p, with average bitrates.
I have maybe 2% of h265 [10bit] videos. I use a nas, so I don't need so much space on the system itself (just holding kodi db).
For the audio part, I'll use hdmi to my 7.1 receiver. I'd like the system to be easy, and work with my logitech harmony.

According to the "pick the right kodi box" I should go for Chromebox. Although I read on the wiki page that the chromebox struggles to read H265 at moderate bitrates. That would be the weak point.

I'm looking at the following boxes:
Acer Chromebox CXI: Celeron 2957U Dual core 1.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 260€
ASUS CHROMEBOX-M014U: Intel Core i3-4010U Dual core 1.7 GHz , DDR3-SDRAM 4 GB, 16GB SSD, 315€
HP Pavilion 300-030nf: Core i3 4025U Dual core 1.9 Ghz, DDR3 4GB, 1TB disk, 400€
Intel NUC: BOXNUC5I3RYK core i3 5010U Dual core 2.1Ghz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 485€

What do you think I should do?
  • Buying one of these (in that case, which one? Should I stop trying to watch these 10bit videos, cause it's gonna be aweful?)
  • Waiting for the NUC prices to decrease, because you expect it'll come soon
  • Waiting for a new generation of chromebox and buying a new generation, because you expect it'll come soon
  • Waiting for a new generation of chromebox and buying the old generation, because you expect the price will decrease soon

It seems to me that the NUC is a little overpriced for what it does, but I guess it would run for years before becoming obsolete. Am I right? Should I even reduce the requirements to 2GB? I plan to run OSMC.
I would recommend you go with what the dev. Frisch is recommending, that being the:

ASRock Beebox (Braswell)

This is the thread you need to get important tips from, especially in regards to HEVC hardware decoding.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227363

(2015-09-02, 16:55)fritsch Wrote: Get the beebox with 2x2gb memory. Try the image AS live image. Make your Tests and return it, if it sucks.

I will prepare hevc capable builds next week.

and this very important thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

I've currently tested:
10-bit(Main 10) / 1080p / 8Mbps HEVC on a 4 core i5 iMac (2011) / Kodi Isengard and it decodes fine using ffmpeg software decoding with a low CPU load.

also

8-bit / 1080p / HEVC on the ODROID-C1+, running Kodi Isengard / OpenELEC - full Hardware decoding. I have not found the Bitrate ceiling on that yet.

Plus - just for info:
HD Audio to Multichannel PCM (like the RPi does) will be coming to all OS X Mac users in Kodi Jarvis. Its already available on Jarvis test builds.
HD Audio passthrough has been limitation on OS X for a long time.

Nice info, I didn't think to check the SoC (Braswell).... It opens up a new world apparently.
But it's not the only news for me, I didn't even think ARM machines were able to run 1080p HEVC 8bit... so your ODROID-C1+ is even a better example!

I'll check all these because they seem to fit the bill.

I'd rather have passthrough but multi pcm is also fine, if 51.
Nice info...
(2015-09-05, 18:11)pikachu320 Wrote: Nice info, I didn't think to check the SoC (Braswell).... It opens up a new world apparently.
But it's not the only news for me, I didn't even think ARM machines were able to run 1080p HEVC 8bit... so your ODROID-C1+ is even a better example!

I'll check all these because they seem to fit the bill.

I'd rather have passthrough but multi pcm is also fine, if 51.
Nice info...

For info the ODroid C1/C1+ only does PCM 2.0/DD/DTS at the moment - no multichannel PCM or HD Audio bitstreaming. It's not clear if this is a driver or hardware limitation.
Ok, I didn't buy my hardware yet, so I sorry if I bump this...
With the recommendation of wrxtasy, I checked on other hardware.

I'm now hesitating between Cherry Trail based and Braswell based hardware.

My requirements haven't changed: running linux, with harmony remote, having HD audio multi channel, and playing 1080p H264 (high bitrates) + HEVC 8bit + HEVC 10bit (cf. proportion above) from NAS.

For braswell I'm thinking the beebox (N3000 or N3150 - I don't know: I guess 3150 is better for the few HEVC 10bits I have)
For Cherry Trail, I don't know if they would have enough firepower for my use case, but they seem less expensive.

What do you think?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to pick the right kodi box0