Apple TV 4
(2015-09-10, 01:57)freddy12 Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 00:47)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2015-09-09, 22:48)Soli Wrote: For lots of various reasons, there's about zero chance of Kodi being available in the Apple store, ever. But a jailbroken device might have the chance of being the first one-box-does-it-all device (save 4K). I know the Shield box might apply to that too.. but not quite.

what makes you say that? what feature does the new ATV supposedly have that Shield does not?

In my opinion Shield is still a much more powerful device.

Everyone has different wants and needs the only thing that has me sold is the MLB app, the shield to my knowledge is unable to do that? I maybe wrong on that

I watch MLB almost every day on the Shield Android TV using Kodi's own MLBMC.
(2015-09-09, 22:20)MrMC Wrote: That new iPad Pro has some ponies Smile

Can you harness them and make them go in the direction you want is the question... Wink
Hopefully the ATV4 will open up for 4K at some point and with KODI on it as an app, I think it could be quite nice upgrade from an old 1080p NUC.

What I do not get is all the boasting about faster graphics than consoles and most PC's and all they want is casual gaming on it? Why not take a stab at the console market and provide a real controller instead of using the remote and additional iPhones/iPods?

Still room for improvement...
(2015-09-10, 03:20)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 01:57)freddy12 Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 00:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: what makes you say that? what feature does the new ATV supposedly have that Shield does not?

In my opinion Shield is still a much more powerful device.

Everyone has different wants and needs the only thing that has me sold is the MLB app, the shield to my knowledge is unable to do that? I maybe wrong on that

I watch MLB almost every day on the Shield Android TV using Kodi's own MLBMC.

Do MLB stream to the app you are running at 60p. That seemed to be one of the slightly glossed over, quite interesting, aspect of the ATV 4. MLB are going to stream at 60p to the device (so 60Hz motion, as 1080i and 720p broadcast TV can support) rather than at 24 or 30p which most streaming services have run at (fine for 24p scripted drama and movies, but lousy for 60Hz entertainment and sports shows)

The BBC have just introduced 540/50p and 720/50p to their iPlayer catch-up service in the UK to support full 50Hz motion on sport and entertainment shows, and the difference is significant. It finally means that IP-delivered web Catch Up isn't a poor-relation to PVR off-air recording in motion rendition-terms. (Or some of the custom VoD services which have also supported 50Hz motion)

However - I think this is a moot point without jail breaking. VLC had to remove Dolby decoding from their iOS app recently, so it is likely that any Kodi app officially released would lose a tonne of codec functionality - though as the ATV supports bitsreaming that may be a caveat?
It's typical of Apple to launch one thing at a time.. Apples strategy is to take things a little slowly.. after a while there will be tons of casual games.. And then there will be a big cry after real games with a real controller..

So next year the atv5 with a dedicated controller and a10x cpu/gpu and 4k videos will launch next year as the "one more thing" .. possibly with a twist as interrupting the closing musical act in one of their guitar solos after the third song when everybody thinks the event is over.

Tim and Kojima come out and introduces a special edition of mgs5 with gfx to rival the PS4, and Siri with an Otacon voiceover and everybody is going complete and utter nuts. This is how I've always imagined it. And then they take over the gaming world too.

Did anybody buy the Tegra to game on? Exactly. (Not to mention that most android games really suck compared to the vast and cheap library of good casual games on iOS)
(2015-09-10, 10:24)noggin Wrote: Do MLB stream to the app you are running at 60p.

Honestly, no idea. I'm mostly just happy it's reasonably HD MLB. Baseball is kind of like the 8mm film of sports. Very, very little happens that requires a high framerate, so I just don't notice whether it's there or not. I imagine it'd matter more to me in football, basketball, or hockey.
(2015-09-10, 10:29)Soli Wrote: Did anybody buy the Tegra to game on? Exactly. (Not to mention that most android games really suck compared to the vast and cheap library of good casual games on iOS)

Color me skeptical that the apple tv is going to be the ARM device that finally beats consoles at their own game. For that to happen, you need buy in from the AAA gaming studios, and for that to happen, you need to convince people that the ATV is going to be a better gaming experience than the Xbone or PS4. And more importantly, you, as the hardware company, need to be ready to pay AAA gaming studios a TON of money to take that leap of faith.

That last part is where I'm guessing Apple is gonna balk.
Yes. I wasn't serious-serious. Still, there's clearly an untapped market between casual gaming (iOS) and hardcore gaming (ps4). And that's where I think Apple will fit in.. and after a while..maybe even more hardcore games. And there's a lot of pretty good games on iOS already, even (older) console ports that will just need a small update to cater for an external controller... and they'll work across iphone/ipad/atv, and there's a huge audience ready to buy your games with 2 clicks, and so on and so on..
(2015-09-10, 02:52)bornagainpengui Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 00:24)Ned Scott Wrote: So if a certain talented iOS developer made a fork/version without python, while still retaining most of the core features that makes Kodi useful, then that might possibly get on the app store? Wink

Without python is that even possible? Better yet, if addons of any sort are possible doesn't that immediately disqualify Kodi from being in the app store? Serious question here, not just making a joke.

Depends on addon, plain xml's like skins, I think those would be ok. Any addon that loads a binary, not a chance.
As for python-less, the fork MrMC has already stripped it out and if you follow the commits, you can see where we are headed... Smile
(2015-09-10, 01:57)freddy12 Wrote: the only thing that has me sold is the MLB app, the shield to my knowledge is unable to do that?
This impressed me as well. I want an App like this for European Football. I know I won't get one, because of TV licences. The USA Sport Leagues are much better in this stuff.
(2015-09-10, 09:19)bleze Wrote: Hopefully the ATV4 will open up for 4K at some point and with KODI on it as an app, I think it could be quite nice upgrade from an old 1080p NUC.

What I do not get is all the boasting about faster graphics than consoles and most PC's and all they want is casual gaming on it? Why not take a stab at the console market and provide a real controller instead of using the remote and additional iPhones/iPods?

Apparently it doesn't have HDMI 2.0

(2015-09-10, 19:13)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 09:19)bleze Wrote: Hopefully the ATV4 will open up for 4K at some point and with KODI on it as an app, I think it could be quite nice upgrade from an old 1080p NUC.

Apparently it doesn't have HDMI 2.0

No need - it doesn't do 4K.
The A8 chip that is currently in the Apple TV is capable of playing 4k video, and the HDMI port on the Apple TV is HDMI 1.4, which is capable of delivering 4k at 30hz. The hardware is likely there to achieve 4k, its the lack of 4k content on iTunes that can compete with Netflix or Amazon streaming services that is likely preventing Apple from saying that the Apple TV supports 4k at this time.

My guess is that sometime in the next 8 months Apple will announce streaming support for 4k through iTunes and that the current Apple TV now has that functionality. HDMI 2.0 is only really necessary if you're trying to watch sports or play games, neither of which are going to be possible on any streaming box.
Plex announced for ATV4. Don't see why Kodi couldn't also make an App. I'm still on my original ATV2 jailbroken because I've yet to find a better Kodi box.

It looks like the shield could be the replacement though it is a bit pricy.

I like the ATV because it integrates with iTunes well, the airplay for it is insanely useful, a very comprehensive rental service for when I can't get someting on torrents, etc..Plus obviously it runs XBMC.

I'd love word from a Dev if they plan on doing a ATV4 version it would be great to upgrade.
(2015-09-10, 12:49)Soli Wrote: Yes. I wasn't serious-serious. Still, there's clearly an untapped market between casual gaming (iOS) and hardcore gaming (ps4). And that's where I think Apple will fit in.. and after a while..maybe even more hardcore games. And there's a lot of pretty good games on iOS already, even (older) console ports that will just need a small update to cater for an external controller... and they'll work across iphone/ipad/atv, and there's a huge audience ready to buy your games with 2 clicks, and so on and so on..
Just as I expected. The first MFI controller for ATV4 has already been announced, the Steelseries Nimbus. The ATV is gonna be big on casual games and cheap games. I remember lol'ing when I saw angry birds on playstation store for 60usd for the ps4. Same game is going to cost 99c/free on ATV4, and (probably) a lot of games that you already own will be made compatible with the ATV4, so chances are that you already own a few free games.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 42