What happened to Autoswitching to Large Icons
Hello and sorry about my first post being in Development, bit cheeky for a new boy.

Anyway the wife bought me an Xbox for Christmas specially to run XBMC so I've been playing with it since and am getting it set up. I was using the last stable build but then saw the wide icons and thought I'd switch to the latest SVN to get those. Problem is I had Autoswitching to Large Icons set because the wife likes that setting and that's now gone in the latest build. So now either I lose wide icons for games or she loses big icons for album covers, and we all know who's going to win that one.

Anyway looking at the SVN, Autoswitch.cpp was changed in rev 7447 from

bBigThumbs = g_guiSettings.GetBool("musicfiles.autoswitchuselargethumbs");

to

bBigThumbs = false;

and presumably the Settings screen also has changes. Is this really necessary ? and if so will it get incorporated into the next official build ? Oh and if it's not really necessary can the wife have it back please ?

Steve
Change it to true in your own build if you so wish. Or just remove the small thumbpanel from the skin (CommonViewTypes.xml).

If it's for albums vs songs, use the library mode - it remembers each individual level setting you use anyway.

As we save per-folder, the setting isn't really needed as much. I may change it in future to default to a large one (and fall back to small if it's unavailable) - not sure.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the reply jmarshall.

Love to change it in my build but as I understand it only VS2003 will do the job. I need VS for work and home projects but upgraded from VS6 to VS2005 directly so never had 2003. All the stuff I've read says use 2003, is it known for sure that 2005 won't work ? If not then I could put some time into trying 2005. (Yes I know it's a developers forum but's it's a coding issue so I thought it appropriate here ?).

I tried the library view but it really doesn't give me the organisation I need.

The point on save per-folder is valid but with over 1000 albums it will take forever to put the views back to big icons.

Really the point I was making was that I couldn't see a need to change the line I indicated. It just makes the program more specific and less general, ie fixes the autoswitch view to icons rather than give the user the choice.

The saving of per-folder views is great and should be the top method of choosing the view but below that there should be a hierarchy of choice. For example if the logic was somewhat like -

view = UNKNOWN
if (SaveViews)
view = GetViewFromDB(path)
if (view = UNKNOWN) AND (AutoView(CurrentWindow))
view = GetAutoView(path)
if (view = UNKNOWN)
view = GetDefaultView(CurrentWindow)

SaveViews would be a global boolean setting
AutoView would be a local boolean in MyMusic, MyVideos, etc.
DefaultView would be a local setting in MyMusic, MyVideos, etc.

This would give users a flexibility in setting the display that would cover all options.

Steve
i've found this rather annoying as well, for the same reason. i think the settings should be restored similar to what they were before where the user has the ability to pick how autoview behaves in terms of the method to autoswitch and what thumb size. but given how the lists are now fully skinnable, this presents a little bit of an issue. potentially there could be no thumbpanel in the traditional sense.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Exactly. Thus the reason it was removed.

IMO defaulting to a "big thumb" view then dropping to thumb if not available seems like a reasonable compromise.

SteveG: Could library view be improved in any way as far as you're concerned? And no, 2005 won't work.

Cheers,
Jonathan

i guess that would be the easiest solution... what would happen in the event there is no thumb panel configured at all?
Sorry if this is dumb but I can't see what the issue is, it's still autoswitching to an icon/thumb it's just a smaller one now with no way of defaulting to a larger one. It doesn't cause a problem if I manually switch so what's the dif ?

I think I've got a hold of a copy of VS2003 (waiting to hear back) so I'll set up a development environment sometime next week and have a play around. It's going to have to be in Virtual PC so as not to chance messing up my work settings for VS2005 so it's liable to be a bit kludgy but I'll give it a go. One of the reasons for moving to XBMC (from GB-PVR) was so I could do this sort of mod myself.

On the library thing, when I tried it out I couldn't find a way for it to ignore compilation albums and so the artist list had over 1000 artists many of whom I've never heard of, never mind listen to. Earlier today I read a bit of a thread concerning changes to do with this that may have prompted the change from big icons so I'm going to have a good read of that tomorrow and have another go with the library on the latest build.

I'm one of those who listens to albums rather than songs (I just playlist half a dozen albums on a morning and let them play while I work) and so have a preference for a hierarchy that goes artists/albums/tracks with the artists sorted alphabetically, the albums by year and the tracks by track number. Compilation albums are stored in a separate tree as compilations/albums/tracks with albums sorted alphabetically. Obviously everybody's different so it needs to be flexible but a system that would let
me do that would be great.

Steve
kraqh3d: It falls back to list in that case.

Quote:On the library thing, when I tried it out I couldn't find a way for it to ignore compilation albums and so the artist list had over 1000 artists many of whom I've never heard of, never mind listen to. Earlier today I read a bit of a thread concerning changes to do with this that may have prompted the change from big icons so I'm going to have a good read of that tomorrow and have another go with the library on the latest build.
That's an option that was added a little while ago.

Quote:I'm one of those who listens to albums rather than songs (I just playlist half a dozen albums on a morning and let them play while I work) and so have a preference for a hierarchy that goes artists/albums/tracks with the artists sorted alphabetically, the albums by year and the tracks by track number. Compilation albums are stored in a separate tree as compilations/albums/tracks with albums sorted alphabetically. Obviously everybody's different so it needs to be flexible but a system that would let me do that would be great.
And this is entirely possible today. My directory structure and mentality is identical. And Xbmc has no problem with this. The hierarchy does exactly what you want. At each level, you can sort it however you want and Xbmc will remember. You just need enable the option to hide compilation artists to filter them out from the standard artists list. http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...library.3E

** edit **

Note... The sort option described in advancedsettings is currently broken... I'm fixing it right now and adding two other settings which allow the album display to be configurable.
Great, thanks for the help kraqh3d (how do you pronounce that ?).

I guess we've drifted out of development stuff somewhat, I'll have a good go at this and start another thread in support if I get stuck. Half the battle for a new boy is known whether a thing can be done or not, now I know it can I'm half way there

Thanks,

Steve
Current SVN now uses big icons by default for the "auto" view mode.

It's pronounced "kraq h3d" by the way Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

Quote:Half the battle for a new boy is known whether a thing can be done or not

Whether or not something can be done is only one piece of the puzzle but the answer is usually yes. It comes down to how difficult is it to actually implement, and is it worth the trouble.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What happened to Autoswitching to Large Icons0