How to handle wide icons
It seems like XBMC, for games at least, should have a folder (similar to how trainers are handled) that all wide icons can be stored in, rather than a default.tbn in each games folder. These icons could be indexed by their official UDATA names (for example 0face007) and when XBMC switches to wide view it automatically checks if there is an icon there for it to use.

This would make the whole thing much more transparent to the end user, and keep them from having to go into each game folder to upload a default.tbn.

Also, this would let XBMC handle both wide and the official normal icons at the same time. When a wide view is selected, it could go check the folder for an icon to use, when a normal view is selected it could just go get them out of the xbe (or however it does it) like it does already. This is in contrast to now, where when XBMC finds a default.tbn, it uses it in every view style, making wide icons unattractively appear in list and normal icon views.
Oh, in case I wasn't clear, the way this could be more transparent to the end user is that a zip of wide icons for all games could simply be circulated by 3rd parties, and this could be dropped right in for instant support for wide icons for games for all (or most anyways) games. 3rd party compilers/packagers of XBMC could even include these packages in their downloads in advance to make it even more transparent.
UDATA is not a unique mapping - particularly for emulators/homebrew stuff.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

all games have a unique id (used currently for kai I believe), use that instead of udata name...
seeing that the udata name is the hex string of the game id....

and yes, those are 0 for a lot of homebrew
You can never make anyone happy can you :\ people so wanted wide icons as an option for ages ever since NineT9Mustang first made them. Now they are in and handled a hell of a lot better than they ever where

* You can save per folder view settings so only your game folder that has the wide Icons will display them
* You can actually still use normal Icon views for other non game things like emulators and apps
* You actually get a choice between big and small wide Icons

But people still complain they look bad in list view Sad here is a hint if you want to view the games in list view "Dont use wide Icons in that dir"

Sheezzz
spiff, didn't know that hehe. ofcourse automatic lookup in a folder/zip would only work for games
I wasn't complaining and I'm sorry if I gave that impression! I'm very appreciative of all the work that everyone puts into this and I'm just trying to give my ideas on how XBMC could be even better than it already it is!

First off, obviously my suggestion for automatic lookup would only work for games. I'm pretty sure all of those have a unique UDATA name so this would work?

I'm not sure I understand why there should be any problem creating an automatic mapping from a folder where the wide icons could be stored that XBMC automatically looks up. It already has a database that it stores thumbnails in under Userdata so obviously it is possible to create a mapping that works?

Furthermore, with regards to the don't use wide icons and expect lists to work comment, the fact is that XBMC still displays the options for list view and standard icon view even when wide icons are installed. If these options are displayed, how is it wrong to request that they be properly handled? Again, this isn't a complaint, but instead just a way I see for XBMC to be even better than it already is. I for one, do have wide icons installed, but when I'm scrolling through looking for something in particular, I appreciate being able to use list view to
quickly find it, and I think it is useful. If the solution is just don't use the other views, then maybe XBMC should automatically hide the options to use the other views when wide icons are installed?

Sorry about being split over two posts again, accidentally hit the post button before I finished typing. Thanks again for everybody's hard work on this, you guys really are the best for volunteering your time to help out everybody. Wide icons are supported now better than they ever have been before, and it's fantastic. I really do think that my idea to make using them easier and more transparent to the user could make wide icons and XBMC even better though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to handle wide icons0