Auto download icons (and wide icon) thumbnail feature
Lightbulb 
hi there,

with a lot of pleasure i noticed the new wide icon support, which is also discussed over at xbox-scene.com. now, in my eyes it would be a great feature to generally get icons automatically. there is a site called mediaicons.org, maintained by emp3r0r, which is growing quite fast and can be seen as the #1 wide icons archive.

furthermore, i am processing the cover data of the 150k covers at cdcovers.cc into another icon type we call "tilted" icons. those are nice looking 3d shots, with the advantage that they can be generated automatically per script, which is what i am doing as we speak.

so atm, there are ~1000 wide icons, 5000+ tilted (and ~20'000 more to come once finished generating) hosted at mediaicons.org, and available via an easy-accessible api (amazon.com has an api for things like that as well, just to mention it).

so in my understanding, this could work like this: from a user's perspective, the "get thumb" module has another option "search online", which runs a search and displays the result as 64x64 icons. the style settings (wide, tilted, with shadow etc) can be configured in sources.xml, by adding the settings to the bookmark/thumbnail element, for example:

Code:
<bookmark>
    <name>Movies</name>
    <path>F:\Movies\</path>
    <thumbnail>
        <mediaicons category="2" format="2" style="2" />
    </thumbnail>
</bookmark>

so what do you guys think about it? i'm interested in comments and suggestions, and of course the feedback of our fellow developers :)

...and since this post perhaps needs an eye catcher, here some examples of the new icon styles: ;)

ImageImage
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Nice idea/feature! I was waiting for something like this Smile

Quote:with the advantage that they can be generated automatically per script

Could you explain how this is done?

Regards
asciii
asciii Wrote:Nice idea/feature! I was waiting for something like this Smile
Could you explain how this is done?

basically 4 phases:

1. get the latest covers from cdcovers.cc
2. parse the barcode of the scan in order to know if it's upside down
3. generate the tilted icon using photoshop's c# api
4. upload it to mediaicons.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Wow, looks good. Good work. Auto download is a cool feature..
The main problem I have with this site is if you are not an uploader of a icons or donate money to that site you do not get full quality wide icons
Yah but even without the full quality file the tilted 3d box icons are 256x256 and all the full size icons are way bigger than you'll ever see on xbmc anyways. and xbmc.ckdvt.com only has up to that size of icons as well
i'm generating them in 256x256, more is overkill imho. so everyone can access the maximal available resolution.

as for the wide icons, i can partly understand your concern, but let's not become this an issue, i'm sure that the owner of this website is willing to compromise somehow.
The site to be used for icons nowadays is http://www.mediaicons.org .

Contains both tilted and wide icons.
Thumbs Up 
I'm willing to do anything to help, just ask me!
freezy

Do you have the action for making the nice tilted 3d boxes?
Vashie Wrote:freezy

Do you have the action for making the nice tilted 3d boxes?
yes, there is one floating around, but i dont use it directly, my generation prog is entirely in c#. i made some slight changes as well, so they look a little better and i added some auto cropping too.

i'm working on a webservice now for complete automation (synchronisation with cdcovers.cc), and the remaining 10k icons will be uploaded to mediaicons.org soon as well.
I know this is a little bit of topic, but does anyone know how to force XBMC to refresh the cached icons?
I can delete them out of the userdata/thumbnails/video folder, but all my video icons are in there as well, so it's a bit of a pain.. expecially when your trying out different icons all the time...
1: Nvidia Shield TV (2017) 16GB - 2: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 3: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 4: Beelink MinixMXIII II
NAS: unRAID 6.3 Pro • Case (NZXT H440) • MB (MBD-X7SBE with SIM1U+) • CPU (Xeon X3360) • RAM (4x2GB DDR2) • SATA (6 On MB, 8 AOC-SAT2-MV8) • PSU (EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2) • HDD (2 x Toshiba 3TB parity, 6 x WD Red 3TB xfs, 1 x 512GB SSD cache)  • UPS (APC BR1000G)
The full text index has been rebuilt and was set to automatically update. As a result, the Find API call should be returning up to date results. Also, this call always returns links to download the icon, however, you will most likely want to preview the icons before you choose one since there can be multiple ones to choose from.

For this, you can slightly change the download link for previews. All previews are in JPG format for faster loads and downloads are in PNG format for quality. Also, downloads are tracked in the database to help measure popularity. Therefore, it makes sense to use the preview links to display the icons the user can pick from and the download link once the user chooses the icon.

Preview Medium
http://mediaicons.org/GetIcon.ashx?key=3095&format=2&style=0&type=med (6 KB)

Preview Large
http://mediaicons.org/GetIcon.ashx?key=3095&format=2&style=0&type=large (17 KB)

Download
http://mediaicons.org/GetIcon.ashx?key=3095&format=2&style=0&type=download (134 KB)

I'll be adding these tips to the API documentation.
I would love a tilted Icon scraper, there is no way I am downloading and renaming all for 700 or so dvd movies Smile
Try this IconFinder if you have your movies on a network share. You may have to map a network drive but I was able to download icons for ~140 movies in less than a hour. There is future support planned for scanning an FTP site to support files on the xbox.

I will provide source code if anyone is interested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto download icons (and wide icon) thumbnail feature0