Linux AMD Fglrx Drivers Hardware Decoding
I'm using the proprietary driver for my AMD APU as it runs around 10c cooler - a must for my passively cooled system. It seems that any recent documentation aimed at AMD hardware acceleration is targeted at the open source driver.

What is needed to get hardware acceleration working under the fglrx driver?
what is needed is that fglrx supports vdpau and works properly
We don't support fglrx at all and will never do so. They did not release specs for xvba years ago, write the worst driver that is available on earth. Now after 3 years of nothing they implemented VAAPI in a non thread safe way ... I sent them patches, but they ignored it.

Fglrx: The biggest No that you can think of. Work with radeon oss devs to get your machine cool.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-10-12, 18:54)fritsch Wrote: We don't support fglrx at all and will never do so. They did not release specs for xvba years ago, write the worst driver that is available on earth. Now after 3 years of nothing they implemented VAAPI in a non thread safe way ... I sent them patches, but they ignored it.

Fglrx: The biggest No that you can think of. Work with radeon oss devs to get your machine cool.

Yeah kind of thought as much - I take it there is no unsupported way of getting the old xvba support? I would absolutely use the OSS driver if it were not for the temperature thing - that is absolutely critical to me; it would be more convenient to use the OSS driver as I would not have to compile the driver every time I update my kernel. What's the best way to get in touch with the radeon driver team?
XVBA was never merged and killed 3 years ago, after AMD did not care a single bit to bring it forward. Then it was made obsolte by oss / vdpau.

Best way to get in touch with driver team: #radeon on freenode or if you can make a new bugreport on bugs.freedesktop.org under category DRM/Radeon
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fglrx Drivers Hardware Decoding0