"Follow Me", save a bookmark or playlist on a XBMC machine and resume it on a other?
Thumbs Up 
Nick8888 Wrote:XBMC isnt just about adding all the features which could possibly ever come in handy like other applications. Its main focus is on simplicity and ease of use.
Well spoken! http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde..._manifesto

Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Video Sync

I love clownshoes' suggested GUI because it would allow video sync too, in addition to the follow me feature. I usually like to have several TVs around the house all playing from the same live TV cache during the day. On weekdays it's news, on weekends it's sports. I tend to move from room to room a lot. I move between the bedroom and the bath/dressing room while I dress, between the kitchen and family room during diner, etc. I'm surprised more people don't watch TV the same way.

I'm doing this on an SD Tivo with the signal distributed via a coax cable pre-wire. I pause the Tivo and all the TVs pause. I fast forward through a commercial and they all fast forward and stay in sync. This set-up isn't practical for HD though. Synchronized video play would be great for me.

clownshoes19 Wrote:...In the left hand menu there should be an option called "Neighborhood Media Centers" it will search for other xboxs/PVRs and tell you what they are doing ex: Xbox name is watching Spideman 3... If you press A you join that xbox... If it isn't paused then it syncs up....
Exclamation 
Neil Wrote:Video Sync

I love clownshoes' suggested GUI because it would allow video sync too, in addition to the follow me feature. I usually like to have several TVs around the house all playing from the same live TV cache during the day. On weekdays it's news, on weekends it's sports. I tend to move from room to room a lot. I move between the bedroom and the bath/dressing room while I dress, between the kitchen and family room during diner, etc. I'm surprised more people don't watch TV the same way.

I'm doing this on an SD Tivo with the signal distributed via a coax cable pre-wire. I pause the Tivo and all the TVs pause. I fast forward through a commercial and they all fast forward and stay in sync. This set-up isn't practical for HD though. Synchronized video play would be great for me.
OFF-TOPIC, please use this other topic thread for discussion about synchronizing music/video-stream playback on multiple-Xboxes (ie. multi-zone audio/video) => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=6207

Thanks!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i would be very intrested in this feature as well
1+ I would be interested in this as well, and I like the idea of having a centralized database...
Question 
Don't know if this has been brought up before...

I have 2 XBMC systems in my house and all the files (movies, pictures...) are stored on my WHS box and sometimes we watach a movie on one TV and want to continue watching where we left off on the other TV.

Is it possible to define a network location on both XBMC boxes to save the bookmarks ? This would make XBMC more like a multiroom DVR Big Grin

Thanks
currently no
So I was watching a movie in my living room the other night, and wanted to finish it in the bedroom. Would there be a way to sync the resume spot so that when i started the movie in the bedroom, it would ask if I wanted to resume where i left off? I don't know anything about coding, but this would make a lot of peoples lives a bit easier I think.
Once we have a central databse, sure.
See these related topic threads: http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=synchronize

Nod
Most of this "follow-me" requests make the assumption that the user lives alone, it seems; or simply ignore conflict management.

Making ALL your XBMC instances do the same thing would equate to locking them all up from other potential users. A simpler solution would be to get yourself a whole-house sound system or such.

The nice thing about multiple frontends is that each one can function independently, using the same storage backend or not.

I'm all for WAF since that's what allows me to continue experimenting with projects like XBMC, but i really don't think the wife would like for her movie or tv show to be stopped because i suddenly decided to listen to some music while roaming across the house.

This request looks like a nice idea on paper but quickly falls short in real life. i don't think you'd want to "plot" your course through your house on a UI just to make sure that out-of-plot instances get left alone.

Bookmarking and resuming on another instance seems much more feasible (and only useful for video, really).

But then maybe not everyone has a family. Tongue
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
I don't think that problem is insurmountable.
What about leveraging the User Profile against a centralized database that reports the actions from all users? To activate the "Follow Me" function, a user would simply sign in to the room they're currently in, 'reporting' their current position to the network. Such a sign in would sign out that same user from the previous room, like Yahoo IM. In particular, this function might not require a password to move to another room to make it easier to move. Also the profile itself would maintain the bookmarks necessary to pick up on for the "Follow Me" function.

In the effort to not require centralized, network-based code in XBMC, a discovery script that would enable and disable this centralized code through the GUI when other XBMC units are recognized on a network could be enabled with a new heading from the main menu such as "Network". There the sign in/follow me function, as well as future functions such as remote administration/control or transfer control could be enacted.

I'm not a programmer, but is this feasible?
Multiroom audio is an addon currently available...
Now we don't have a simple resume functionality. We need to talk about it first. And not only about movies, about music and audiobooks as well.

Resuming where left on each audiobook (or music) folder would be a great deal.

I think a plug in could pass these settings over the network wire as well so you have it in every room. Not a difficult staff for someone who knows python for XBMC...

Take care

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Follow Me", save a bookmark or playlist on a XBMC machine and resume it on a other?0