• 5(current)
Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database?
no worries - easily - and often - made mistake Smile
I would really like this feature as well.

I have no clue how to fix this inside XBMC, but it would be easy to create something for this on Linux/OS X and possibly Windows. I'm planning on migrating to XBMC on Linux, so I might create something to get this running.

What I would do:

- Create a simple webpage on which you can you enter the movie title and the location of the movie. This can be a number, if you have your movies numbered or whatever you use to identify your movies.
- Upon submitting the form with the movies it would either put these directly inside the XBMC database or
- Create a text file (possibly a MySQL database) which contains the list of movies. This list would then be used to create a series of directories in your movie-dir which then contain a auto-generated flashfile with the information you submitted

I know it's a dirty workaround but something is better than nothing.
I would really like this feature as well, has there been any progress on this?
kri kri Wrote:I would really like this feature as well, has there been any progress on this?

The status is nobody is working on it, so if you want the feature you'll have to program it or find someone willing to do so.
redtapemedia Wrote:The status is nobody is working on it, so if you want the feature you'll have to program it or find someone willing to do so.
It surely is a popular request though? I don't see why it is just being ignore out of hand, thats all.
May be that we can make our requests here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51605 it's been discussed. It seems that some developers are thinking about adding new features into the video library (custom categories, etc)

regards,
With ember media manager you can add "fake" movies. Then EMM will generate a short avi file with a custom background and a text of your choice.
kri kri Wrote:It surely is a popular request though? I don't see why it is just being ignore out of hand, thats all.

A popular request it may be, but the devs code what interests them personally. Being an open source project though, if it does interest someone then they are free to work on it.
MaxNL Wrote:With ember media manager you can add "fake" movies. Then EMM will generate a short avi file with a custom background and a text of your choice.

This is only a annoying workaround - no solution for the problem/missing feature.

If so many people seem to need/want that feature - how about collecting some donations for it? Could the devs tell a estimated workload and thus a number how much it would cost to implement this? Can't be to difficult if one is already into the source of XBMC. And when every user yelling for this feature is donating lousy 5 bucks - it'll should be easy to get the founding. OpenSource means that the source code is freely available, but it doesn't mean that everything has to be free of charge. Just have a look at other OpenSource projects.

Btw. it'll be cool if there would be a possibility to donate for special features/bugfixes on the bugtracker - just like in "mantis" bugtracking system.
ehm, you should check this thread:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48895

especially the end...
da-anda Wrote:This is only a annoying workaround - no solution for the problem/missing feature.

If so many people seem to need/want that feature - how about collecting some donations for it? Could the devs tell a estimated workload and thus a number how much it would cost to implement this? Can't be to difficult if one is already into the source of XBMC. And when every user yelling for this feature is donating lousy 5 bucks - it'll should be easy to get the founding. OpenSource means that the source code is freely available, but it doesn't mean that everything has to be free of charge. Just have a look at other OpenSource projects.

Btw. it'll be cool if there would be a possibility to donate for special features/bugfixes on the bugtracker - just like in "mantis" bugtracking system.

"Bounties" have already been discussed and it's not a direction the devs wish to take.

edit: For an explanation of why people are opposed to Bounties please see: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...ies&page=3
thanks for information to both of you. As I don't have any clue of c++ and don't have the time to learn it I think I have to look for a different piece of software then. It's the same issue with boxee and MediaPortal kinda sucks. Maybe I find a commercial solution that fit's my current needs - although I'd like to stick with openSource stuff.
I am still playing with the latest builds of XBMC, mostly looking great with some minor annoyances.
So after cataloging my movies/shows/music/pictures in my local HDD I was thinking of my big DVD collection (which I am not going to rip save a few commonly used films)

I found this in the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Cata...ake_files)

Is this still the preferred method? Do you have any tip or trick to warn the unsuspecting user that some movies will play instantly and some other movies he/she is expected to find the correct DVD and insert it (hopefully the DVD will autoplay)?

Thanks!
Try the Offline Creator:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40329
Hi guys,

I just submitted the source code for a solution to this problem. I simply added the support for the volume label to XBMC. Whit my patch whenever adding a movie, also the volume label is stored with it. So, when trying to play the movie, if the correct disk is not in the drive, the application will prompt user to insert it.

Information on the disk label is also available among movie informations shown by the skins, so that when you browse your archive you are able to see on which disk each movie is stored.

I hope this will be included in next releases...

cheers
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database?1