Online Highscores - multi entries per name or not?
This is mostly to Rockstar® but I think others might want to chime in:
I recently checked the high scores for Tetris:
http://xbmcgames.dirtyduckdesigns.de/ind...index.php#
and noticed that 9 of the top 10 scores were made by a very good player called 'dave'.

While 3 of those scores are duplicates because of a fault of mine (fixed in next release), I'm thinking that the high score list should be more player-centric than score-centric. In that a higher-score by the same player should replace that player's previous highest score.

This way you get a world-ranking of players as opposed to playing-sessions. I know that in sports people can beat their own records but rankings are usually done on a per athlete basis I think...

I'm really not just saying this so I could be second instead of third in my own game Rofl
I think its a great idea, dave has given up posting scores for now as its a bit pointless. Today he got to level 10 and a score of over 2300, which puts my scores of 900 to shame lol.
What changes do you have planned for your next release?
Keep up the good work, Stu
Button configurator, bug fixes, widescreen support, language support, auto updater...
Hi.

Good Idea.
I was thinking about this "problem" too and I think I will do your idea as main scorelist and put a link ("show full list") on the bottom of every list.
Hopefully I'll finish this weekend.
This is only good if significantly more than 10 players are playing but I think having the scoreboard more 'open' would encourage others to submit scores.
When I was in school today I was thinking about this again.
It would be good to have more options on the page and in the lib so I will extend both a little.
The option to show as much scores as you want is already in the lib so it has to be on the page too in my opinion.
The option to "hold" players will come this weekend.
If you or anyone else have more suggestions just let me know.
I'm open for everything.
It's done on the page.
Check out here.
Let me know if its that what you wanted.

I will now add it to the highscore lib and send it to you when it's done.
Rockstarr-
Im getting weird submission errors I can't figure out with the new library. Did you change all the string inputs / outputs to ints? I think insert_new_highscore is the only one that is throwing a hissy fit. The other functions still take the strings fine.

Code:
File "Q:\scripts\Snake\src\libary\onlinehighscores.py", line 96, in insert_new_highscore
IndexError: list index out of range
I see the error.
You will get a new one soon.

But I'm confused.
I didnt changed anything on this function and the error was in there all the time.
So the version wich tetris runs with right now would have to give this error too. Eek
Strange.

Anyway... new one is coming via pm in a few minutes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Online Highscores - multi entries per name or not?0