• 6(current)
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)
we these EEE touchscreens launching in the next few months, it may attract more attention to touchscreen specific navigation.

http://www.t3.com/news/asus-eee-touchscr...-uk?=36945

^^ would be nice to have that as a front end for XBMC for audio etc..
XBMC is already controllable via USB (HID) Touchscreens as long as the touchscreen emulates a mouse.

More intuitive one finger touchscreen (same as one button mouse) GUI and skin support would however be more than welcomed, for the ability to navigate throughout XBMC skins with just one finger on a touchscreen.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
jw76 Wrote:we these EEE touchscreens launching in the next few months, it may attract more attention to touchscreen specific navigation.

http://www.t3.com/news/asus-eee-touchscr...-uk?=36945

^^ would be nice to have that as a front end for XBMC for audio etc..

First up can I thank you JW for posting that link. This is what I have been waiting for mounting to my telescope!! Much better than a bulky laptop. The warm PC components behind the screen keeps the Liquid Crystals in the LCD panel from freezing up at night like those on a laptop can. The touchscreen in combination with a virtual keyboard is The perfect interface at night out in the field with the scope. The thoughts of panning around the sky view in the Planetarium software by dragging the sky with your finger and then tapping on a galaxy and the scope moving to it is too cool for words. The fact that it is power efficient is a massive bonus when running on Batteries. I was a little worried though whether it had the horsepower to run the planetaium software and imaging software etc and thus I did a lot of research on this device.

Heres what I found which also applies to our XBMC application.
There will be at least 2 versions the ET1602 and ET1603. The specs are the same except for two things. The ET1603 has a built in Battery. Not really an advantaeg for XBMC. But the other difference is that the ET1603 instead of the integrated GMA950 has ATis Mobility-Radeon-HD3450.

Does that change the suitabilty of this EEEtop touchscreen device for XBMC?

Again this would be too cool for words. We will have 2 Home Cinema projectors believe it or not (Don't ask! Wink ) This device if it can handle 720p will be amazing, not having to turn on the PJ to listen to music. For the other PLasmas n the house I am looking closely at the eeebox. Anyway hopefully in a few months when we complete our house renovation and are ready to kit it out, maybe by then both the eeetop and eeebox hardware will both have been updated to the dual core atoms and the ati mobility in the eeboxes. Hey how much will a dualcore atom be? Maybe I could upgrade both to dual core atom anyway even if asus don't. Do the current chipsets in these devices support dropping in of the new dual core atoms? When I proceed in 6 months, do the devs think we will be any nearer to hardware decode?

As it stands now though, will the atom 270 1.6ghz at least do H264 720p? Thats all I really need. Will XBMC navigation (Touchscreen or not) be more responsive on this level of hardware than the original Xbox or AppleTV. Will access times to content via SMB on NAS storage be any quicker. I am hearing worrying things about the Apple TV. ie that it can pretty much handle 720p but that navigation isn't as responsive.

Will we ever see hardware decode in XBMC??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOlQ2qgxsVA

http://www.autopareri.com/forum/scienze-...eetop.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8CUTimT...re=related
calibos Wrote:This device if it can handle 720p will be amazing, not having to turn on the PJ to listen to music. For the other PLasmas n the house I am looking closely at the eeebox. Anyway hopefully in a few months when we complete our house renovation and are ready to kit it out, maybe by then both the eeetop and eeebox hardware will both have been updated to the dual core atoms and the ati mobility in the eeboxes. Hey how much will a dualcore atom be? Maybe I could upgrade both to dual core atom anyway even if asus don't. Do the current chipsets in these devices support dropping in of the new dual core atoms? When I proceed in 6 months, do the devs think we will be any nearer to hardware decode?

As it stands now though, will the atom 270 1.6ghz at least do H264 720p? Thats all I really need.
I have been asking that question myself. Would be good if anyone could provide a definitive answer to that. Think a lot of people are considering buying a eee model, or atom core related product as a htpc. Would consider eeeTop, but don't see a dvi/video out on it, so wouldn't be a good vj. Seems to be the case with lot of monitor-integrated computers. Sad
I've just got an eeeTop, great little bit of kit (no performance testing done yet, 720p might be pushing it)....

...but very frustrated with no back button/functionality in XBMC Sad

Reading the thread the simplist and universal "win" here has got to be incorporating a back and context icon into the skin...forget drivers for this and that, it will takes ages!!

I vote for a back & context menu buttons/icons in the skin!!

Simple, effective...job done (and I dont have to break out the keyboard!)

Great job to all the guys involved/community - hope this gets fixed ASAP

Regards,

James
jimbobdog Wrote:I've just got an eeeTop, great little bit of kit (no performance testing done yet, 720p might be pushing it)....

...but very frustrated with no back button/functionality in XBMC Sad

Reading the thread the simplist and universal "win" here has got to be incorporating a back and context icon into the skin...forget drivers for this and that, it will takes ages!!

I vote for a back & context menu buttons/icons in the skin!!

Simple, effective...job done (and I dont have to break out the keyboard!)

Great job to all the guys involved/community - hope this gets fixed ASAP

Regards,

James

i wouldnt hold my breath...Fortunately, skinning is relatively easy to learn and shouldn't take you long to figure out how to add a couple buttons. You should check out the online manual for help in skinning, and take a look in the skinning forum for extra help. Also, you can find a skin there called empty http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29743 that is basically a super simple skin, should help you figure out the basics of skinning.
any more on this
any other reports from EEE top or HP touchsmart users?
I've just bought a EEEtop ET1602, and the first attempt isn't optimal.

First, the eee specs seems quite limited. I think it's more the memory than the CPU as running XBMC on windows the RAM usage is a constant 80%.
Second, the lack of on-screen functionalities in the skin makes it impossible to browse conveniently. That's the major drawbacks so far.

I've also tried in many ways to run directly using XBMC Live. However, I can't manage to make it boot properly; reason : no display.
I've opened another thread on this...

So at the moment, I use Itunes on Windows ...
Hy guys,
I have an issue with my touchscreen while using xbmc: it get crazy, in other words it looses the calibration. I move my finger over the whole screen and the cursor move just on the border and not even aligned with my finger position.

The Touchscreen is an eeti one and it works great with all other applications (not tested with many sw let's say OS, gedit firefox and the update manager).

The curious thing I realized just now is that if I disable the mouse, the arrow on the screen changes its shape, and I can move it wherever I want via the touchscreen, I have my calibration back again ... on the other side the interface does not react anymore (obviously, given that the mouse has been disabled )
I am a programmer so I could change the code if needed
Please help ... my super HTPC project is stucked ...

:confused2:
Do not know if I should post here...

Windows EEETop users, here are some PM3.HD modified xml files with the "Back" button included.

I made it fast and I tried to make the uglyless I can. I did not made all pages but it should be enough (I hope, otherwise, just say it, I'll try to have a look later)

Donload link here :
Deleted as a new version is available but waiting for a moderator to allow it Wink

Installation :
Using 7-zip
just unzip and overwrite files in your XBMC installation.

Know issues :
1) I just made French and English translation (anyway, it is simple as it is "Back" in English and if you are able to read this post, you should be able to read "Back")
If you really want to translate the string, here is an exemple for German translation : Localize your XBMC\language\German\strings.xml file
Add this line :
Quote: <string id="13420">Back translation</string>

to get something similar to this :
Quote: <string id="13419">Software</string>
<string id="13420">Back</string>

<string id="13600">Apple Remote</string>

Know issues (or bonus ?)
1) I had to remove all buttons on the "music visualisation" page because I wanted to get the previous menu back without pausing the sound.
If you want to pause the music, just touch the right part of the screen and you will get it !
If you do not want this feature, do not copy the MusicOSD.xml file.

Enjoy

Made for XBMC Atlantis release on March 20th 2009

All credits come to PM3 and xbmc devs. Thank you guys for all your haaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrdddddddd work Wink
Of course this is not the appropriate thread ...
Bruno Wrote:Of course this is not the appropriate thread ...

Bruno, please feel free to open a new thread ! Nod I would find doing it a little bit pretentious from myself ! Plus, after 15 days, only 15 downloads Confused

Here is an update made those last days (04/07/2009) :
Download link

What's new :
Now there is a 'back' button included even in the 'settings' menus.
MusicOSD has now 8 buttons! Do not worry to much if it seems complicated as I choosed (at least, in my opinion!) the easiest way to assemble buttons
- Click on the center of the screen to get back the titles selection screen (Still without pausing the sound).
- Click on the right (center) of the screen to get 'next' song
- Click on the left (center) of the screen to get 'previous' song
- Click on the right (bottom corner) of the screen to get fast forward
- Click on the left (bottom corner) of the screen to get fast rewind
- Click on the top (right corner) of the screen to call the 'audio' menu (will let you change the volume)
- Click on the bottom (center) of the screen to get pause or play (especially when fast forward/fast rewind are activated)
- Click on the left top corner and the top center of the screen to get the pause/play button
Volume bar has been added to MusicOSD

Installation :
Using 7-zip. Just unzip and overwrite files in your XBMC installation (You do not need previous files of 03/20/2009)

Know issues :
I just made French and English translation (anyway, it is simple as it is "Back" in English and if you are able to read this post, you should be able to read "Back")
If you really want to translate the string, here is an exemple for German translation : Localize your XBMC\language\German\strings.xml file
Add this line :
Quote:<string id="13420">Back translation</string>
to get something similar to this :
Quote:<string id="13419">Software</string>
<string id="13420">Back translated</string>

<string id="13600">Apple Remote</string>

Enjoy

Made for XBMC Atlantis release on April 07th 2009

All credits come to PM3 and xbmc devs. Thank you guys for all your haaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrdddddddd work Wink

Old release of 03/20/2009 :
See above if needed
i would think having an update would be a great reason to open a new thread instead of asking someone else to do it and then just continuing to post off topic. don't worry, it's not pretentious. you've got something to give back to the community. is it pretentious of xbmc to post news when they've got a new release?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello there!

Another question for touch screen usage:

Is it possible to map keyboard keys within the skin? For example: 4 buttons for the 4 arrow keys and a button for 'enter'. This way you can navigate thru the inteface with a touchscreen. I know there is a onscreen keyboard available so it seems possible, but don't know how.

I would like it to be a 5-way navigation keyboard that pops up if I touch my screen.

Thanx for the help!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)0