• 5(current)
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)
malloc Wrote:IMO there are a lot of our keyboard shortcuts that make no sense. Two that come to mind immediately:
If you'd like to quit, press 's'?
If you'd like to stop a video, press 'x'?

Really, where's the wife factor?
I agree that that the default keymapping needs an overhaul to make it more intuitive/logical after Atlantis 'Gold' is out, but that is off-topic in this thread, this thread discussion was about mouse behavior in XBMC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
malloc Wrote:Can you name a commonly used program that uses such a behavior?

Are we allowed to use "special" keys? Windows keyboards have that context menu key. It's difficult to buy a keyboard these days without one, but I don't know how the key is mapped in Linux.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
malloc Wrote:Are we allowed to use "special" keys?
For Windows and Mac, sure Nod ...now again, this thread is about mouse behavior Rolleyes
Well, if you'd like to dismiss all keyboard alternatives then my opinion remains the same. Don't attempt to map right click or double click to anything because we can't count on it existing on all hardware, and it's not intuitive to double click some random place on the screen to bring up a menu.

Again, I already asked this once, and I even quoted myself when you missed the question. Can you name a commonly used program that has this double click behavior?
malloc Wrote:Don't attempt to map right click or double click to anything because we can't count on it existing on all hardware, and it's not intuitive to double click some random place on the screen to bring up a menu.
The double-tap/double-click to go "Back" function was just an idea, please completely ignore than suggestion if it will help the discussion move on, (again that is something that could be solved by skinning).

The real 'issue' at hand is the Context-Menu, which would not be on a random location as you would obviously double-tap/double-click on the specific item that you want to bring up the Context-Menu for.
this all seems to come full circle to it being a design issue of the skin.
click-hold?
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
i was thinking the same thing, but do all touch screens support that? i was also thinking of gestures, but i'm pretty sure very few support that.
I've never used a touch screen very much, but if it can be detected, then sure.

We really have 3 actions needed on a single item (particularly in the filemanager, and I think also in the playlist windows, but possibly in future in other sections)

1. Selection (single click?)
2. Default action (double click?)
3. Context menu (click-hold?)

The whole "back" thing is easily handled by embedding buttons in the skin.

An alternative to the click-hold is a separate area on the item to single or double click for the context menu - this would require a fair amount of code changes though, as well as skin changes.

Cheers,
Jonathan

can you give examples of those three actions? I'm assuming selection = play, but that also sounds like it could be the default action. context menu is obvious. why do we need a file manager in the new platforms? it seems like the ftp server argument applies.
Selection is choosing an item for use. Basically picking out an item or group of items that you then apply an action on. It's currently enabled in the filemanager (as you say, possibly useless) to do multi-file copies/moves/deletes. It may also be used elsewhere (now playing lists, or playlist construction?)

Identical to how most desktop UIs operate. Single click to select an item, double click to do something with it (open a folder, run a program, open a document etc), right click to bring up a contextual menu.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Could get around all those options by displaying the context menu somewhere at all times. Selecting anything from the context menu will run the function on the solely selected item.
Yeah - we could just have another button in the UI to bring up the context menu on the selected item. This would be relatively straight forward to implement.

Nuka1195 Wrote:click-hold?
For mouse that would work too instead of double-click, but like mention; not sure if all touchscreens support click-hold.

jmarshall Wrote:We really have 3 actions needed on a single item (particularly in the filemanager, and I think also in the playlist windows, but possibly in future in other sections)

1. Selection (single-click?)
2. Default Action (double-click?)
3. Context Menu (click-hold?)
I really like that concept, good idea as long as all touchscreens supports "click-hold", that would definitely work well then.

jmarshall Wrote:
malloc Wrote:can you give examples of those three actions? I'm assuming selection = play, but that also sounds like it could be the default action. context menu is obvious. why do we need a file manager in the new platforms? it seems like the ftp server argument applies.
Selection is choosing an item for use. Basically picking out an item or group of items that you then apply an action on. It's currently enabled in the filemanager (as you say, possibly useless) to do multi-file copies/moves/deletes. It may also be used elsewhere (now playing lists, or playlist construction?)

Identical to how most desktop UIs operate. Single click to select an item, double click to do something with it (open a folder, run a program, open a document etc), right click to bring up a contextual menu.
You also have Boxee's skin concept where "Selection" (single-click) brings up a mini sub-menu (that is not the same as the full Context-Menu but something much simpler), their mini sub-menu is skinned to have the basic button options of "Play", "More Information", and "Trailer". If this concept was introduced into our skins as well then "Selection" (single-click) would bring up this kind of mini sub-menu, and "Default Action" (double-click) would start playback of that item directly (if "Play" were skinned to be the default action) instead of popping up the mini sub-menu.

However for the File-Manager I like the idea of "Selection" (single-click) only high-lighting items and then the "Context Menu" (click-hold) having the options on what to do with those high-lighted items, but I think that in the File-Manager view it might be simpler just to have skinned button that the user can press to bring up the Context Menu after he/she high-lighted the items they want to do something with, ..though this conflicts with consistency how I personally would prefer the non-File-Manager views, as in the media center views (Music/Videos/Pictures) I think I would prefer if the Context Menu was not a separate skinned button in the GUI as I like it when it is only pops up when one press the button for it on the remote or with mouse/touchscreen input would only pop up if did the click-hold (or double-click if touchscreens do not support 'click-hold').
Now that XBMC is available for Windows ... does this increase the chances of Touch Screen Support ?
With Touch Screen Devices dropping in price and "Multi-Touch" coming for Windows 7, is Touch an option for XMBC now ?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)0