Jittery/choppy playback of MPEG2
Greetings! I'm very new to Kodi, do please bear with me. I've been searching the Internet off and on for a couple of days and have found similar reports, but none of the solutions seem to work for me. Current setup

CPU: Intel i5 661
RAM: 4GB (I forget which brand)
GPU: Intel i5 661

Issue - I recorded a TV show using the HDHomeRun DVR software which uses MPEG2 file format. When playing back the video, it starts to get jittery. It's not video tearing, but it gets jittery. For testing purposes, I turned off Hardware Acceleration and playback was fine. Turning it back on made it jittery again. Next I eliminated the HDHomeRun software by browsing to the file and playing it within Kodi, same issue. Lastly I tried playing the same file with Windows Media Player and did not experience the same issue. As far as I can tell, hardware acceleration is enabled on Windows Media Player.

I've tried using real full screen mode, that didn't seem to change anything. I've looked through some of the other settings in Kodi, but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me.

This issue is not experienced when playing back DVD VOB files, which as I understand it uses MPEG2 as well. Blu-Ray playback is perfectly fine.
Pressing the O button during playback, it would seem that Kodi is using ff-mpeg2video codec for VOB playback. I converted a VOB to MPEG for testing and found that with the DXVA2 enabled it had the same jittery issues, pressing O shows that the codec it's using in this case is ff-mpeg2video-dxva2. Turning that off looks like the codec goes to ff-mpeg2video. Is my solution simply to turn that off?
I have found that Blu-ray playback can use ff-264-dxva2 without issue, so it has to do with that specific ff-mpeg2video-dxva2 codec.
Bump
What version of Kodi are you using?

Since it's DXVA you are having problems with you could try the special Isengard DX11 builds at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218274 since DX11 is the future so no more work will be done on the legacy DX9 that's in the normal Isengard builds. If you still have problems with the DX11 build then post a report complete with a debug log_file (wiki) showing the problem in order that the dev can take a look and see if it's a bug.
Also just for your info, even if Hardware Acceleration is enabled, it is never used for DVD playback that is why you see "ff-mpeg2video" which means the software decoder is being used, and where you see "ff-mpeg2video-dxva2" for the HDHomeRun, this simply means the hardware dxva decoder is being used.

So it looks like your GPU has an issue with using DXVA for mpeg2, and since you're using Win 10 have you made sure you have the latest drivers from Intel website?
Your GPU Intel i5 661 has no official drivers on Windows 10, so there are possible issues with DXVA. So you have to downgrade your windows or upgrade your hardware.
(2015-10-29, 13:44)jjd-uk Wrote: What version of Kodi are you using?

Since it's DXVA you are having problems with you could try the special Isengard DX11 builds at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218274 since DX11 is the future so no more work will be done on the legacy DX9 that's in the normal Isengard builds. If you still have problems with the DX11 build then post a report complete with a debug log_file (wiki) showing the problem in order that the dev can take a look and see if it's a bug.

I'm using 15.2
(2015-10-30, 13:28)afedchin Wrote: Your GPU Intel i5 661 has no official drivers on Windows 10, so there are possible issues with DXVA. So you have to downgrade your windows or upgrade your hardware.

Ah, very true. Thanks! For the time being, everything plays just fine without it enabled so I'll probably just stick with that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery/choppy playback of MPEG20