help in hardware choice
Hi,
for years I've been using iomega multimedia drives for media consumption, and I think it's about time that I upgrade my setup, I've been thinking on purchasing a tv box and a NAS to do so, and here I am asking for advice. The main use I think I'll have for the box will be to play video files, but now that we have Netflix here in Spain, maybe I'll subscribe. What I don't think I'll use it for is for gaming. So, with this in mind I thought the MINIX Z64 could be a viable option, but then I saw that most of the android boxes don't play Netflix in HD, so now I'm more convinced of the WeTek Core, which if I'm not mistaken will be out tomorrow, and it seems that will be cheaper than the Z64. What do you think of the choice for the intended uses?

Also, I know maybe this isn't the place for it, but can anyone help me with the NAS? I've been looking mainly at Synology and Qnap. The most important feature is that it works well with the tv box, but when I get it I'll try to install a Minecraft server on it for me and a couple of friends (I don't know if it's possible at all, but I'll try).

Thanks for the help.
The Core's last remaining Firmware bugs are currently being sorted out as I type. I'm not sure of the release date, that Countdown clocked linked to on the WeTek website is for discounts for users of other WeTek products I believe.

I'm one of the Beta Testers of the WeTek Core and also a big fan of the meaty TV series that Netflix has on its service as well.
(even better when you use a geo-unblocking service)

Yes the Core has 1080p HD Netflix plus HD playback of other DRM streaming Apps. A first for a small developer of a Kodi Android media box outside of the major multinational, tech media companies. Smile
The cool function that I really like is the TV auto switching into its 24p mode when Netflix video starts for silky smooth video playback.
At the moment during testing of the Core, couto27 and myself are struggling to get 5.1 Audio out of the Netflix App however.
I need to dig out my S/PDIF cable and do further testing.

AMLogic have a pretty well sorted out Linux Kernel that gives you proper 23.976fps/59.94Hz (+ others) video sync, refresh rate switching and excellent quality TV deinterlacing. Known problems with a few codecs and .vob containers are already detailed in the WeTek Core thread. Even those are likely pretty rare in a users collection, unless you have lots and lots of DVD ISO rips or your name is Noggin !! Wink

What AMLogic lacks and has fallen behind with lately, is basic lossless PCM Multichannel Audio output. It cannot do what the RPi2 does, namely decode HD Audio to multichannel PCM and output that. You still get the usual 5.1 lossy audio output however that all media players are capable of. Hearing the differences between lossless and lossy is still up for debate too. You really need high quality speakers to do lossless audio justice.

I would not buy a Core if you have an extensive Bluray collection ripped to a NAS with those iso rips containing HD Audio. Get an Intel device instead like a Chromebox or Braswell box to do the Audio justice. After all thats what you bought Blurays for in the first place for was it not ?

However if you want a decent solid quality TV deinterlacer / Kodi / Netflix + more. All in the one box media player, that ticks all the essential Kodi boxes requirements then the Core should be a nice release. Its pretty snappy too. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help in hardware choice0