USB Mass Storage
And now the other side Wink What about add a function to make XBox a fake USB Mass Storage? You could be able to connect it to a computer and navigate on the files... Yes, we have ethernet that is faster and versalite, but it could be usefull for example to use XBox as a USB Mass Storage with TV output in the same way that others, and maybe it could allow to control XBox from PC or others things so...
El Piranna Wrote:and maybe it could allow to control XBox from PC or others things so...

I like the sound of that...
321erik123 Wrote:I like the sound of that...

Well, in fact you can now do it, by i say as XBox where another PC device... USB is just a serial port evolution, and since you only need to write and read data on that port to use it for what you want (you only need to send and read the data in a determinate order so data has a meaning...) it should be easy to add something similar here... I repeat i don't know how to do it, but if we have USB access it should work...
The USB spec is not symmetric. Cables all have an A plug on one side and a B/miniB/ device on the other. The xbox and PC essentially both take in the A plug and act as roots of the 'USB tree'. There is no way to connect roots together.

Basically the XBox doesnt have the hardware to behave as a USB device so this idea is impossible. The type of topology you want is supported by something like firewire but not USB.
Asteron Wrote:Basically the XBox doesnt have the hardware to behave as a USB device so this idea is impossible.

Oh, shit... I sayed it because there are special USB wires similar to the old "null modem" serial conectors that allow connect two PCs between them for transfer data. Maybe it would work with that...

It similar to this (really this is more of what i was saying... Big Grin)

El Piranna Wrote:It similar to this (really this is more of what i was saying... Big Grin)

In fact, it seems it's more relactionate with this other topic i put the same time than that (they are two diferent concept of the same thing...).
WTH.... I guess that center bit is like two USB network adapters + crossover cable?
Asteron Wrote:WTH.... I guess that center bit is like two USB network adapters + crossover cable?

I think yes (if i understand correctly). As i have read at the link i put on the other topic (UsbNet) it seems it has a chip with two usb-b adaptors conected betwen them, so you connect one USB-master at each end (for example the XBox and a PC) and it pass the data from one end to another. Over that run something similar to a TCP/IP net protocol so you can transfer data as betwen two computers connect by ethernet. THIS is what i was asking for on the other topic: add this support so usb linux powered gadgets (iPodLinux, for example) can be connected by USB-Net and break-out the 4GB limit since you don't connect to a USB drive, instead you're using a net connection over USB.

There are other similar adaptors with two USB-master conectors used to connect two usb periphericals (for example a digital camera and a hard disk) but cost a lot more...

Oh, and i have read that there are A-A wires without chip but it seems they work but doesn't have electrical meaning so they can break your machines, and there is an usb extension called "USB On-The-Go" that allow to switch from usb-master to usb-slave and viceversa by software, so you can connect what you want, when you want, how you want and with you want (some similar to '60s "Free Love" with a nerd point :p)

I knew it: i should have make the two ideas at only one topic...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB Mass Storage0