[REQUEST] LCARS (Star Trek) inspired skin for XBMC possible? Any volunteers?
@NickyZero and killarny, please let us know if you two (and later maybe others as well) would like to coolaberate in the making of a LCARS open source skin and you would maybe then like to join the official XBMC Skinning Project (a sub-project of XBMC for skinners and their open source skins).

As long you agree to not violate any copyrights and ask before you modify anyone else's skin in the SVN (or wait until you have been asked) then register accounts on SourceForge.net if you do not already have one and PM me the usernames so I can add you to the project with full write access to the SVN and the trackers (for bugs, patches and requests).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
maybe killarny too, then all three could Smile
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Personally, I'd love to submit my work to the repository, but I wanted to get it in a more usable state first (at least, for more than one resolution).

Now that you mention copyrights, I'm not sure about the font and sounds that I'm using - I downloaded them from one of the lcars resource sites out there, but I don't know what the real license status is on them. However, all my graphics are original.
Killarny Wrote:Personally, I'd love to submit my work to the repository, but I wanted to get it in a more usable state first (at least, for more than one resolution).

Now that you mention copyrights, I'm not sure about the font and sounds that I'm using - I downloaded them from one of the lcars resource sites out there, but I don't know what the real license status is on them. However, all my graphics are original.

I Agree with regards to getting it into a Stable state first, As for copyrights, Don't worry I have written (well, emailed) consent from the owner of lcarscom.net to use any resources from his site, on the condition we show him the final result Laugh
NickyZero - Currently making LCARS for XBMC
All info can be found here and here

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
Forgive Double Post (This forum really needs an edit button!)

But a thought occurs to me,

Seeing other people talking about cloning existing skins, and the legallities (sp?) of it; Can we actually make & release an LCARS based skin?

Although I have been given consent from the owner of LCARSCOM (see previous posts) we don't have the consent of Paramount, who legally own Star Trek and therefore LCARS in name and probably design?

Can someone clear this up before we end up in some kinda law-suit?

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
That's a good point. I would hope that these types of efforts are seen as homage rather than infringement, but who knows.

I remember similar concerns over OSX related skins a long time ago; didn't Apple try to sue a bunch of people for making OSX visual styles for Windows? I assume that Apple ended up losing that battle, judging from all the OSX skins that people made (and still make).

Perhaps this situation is similar?
Big Grin 
As far as I can find out, no one has ever been sued for cloning/replicating LCARS, ...without trekkies (devoted StarTrek fans) the StarTrek franchise would not be as big as it is today, so I am sure that Paramount do not mind people cloning/replicating LCARS for non-profit purposes like skinning free software.

Like I wrote here before: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110
Quote:on a side note, most non-software companies will probably give you their permission to use their images/pictures if they used as non-commercial promo for their products. Like for example, I'm sure that car manufacturers, comics publishers, or movie producers/directors, etc. have would be glad if you use their pictures in a skin as long as it just promotes their products in a positive way.

Cool
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:As far as I can find out, no one has ever been sued for cloning/replicating LCARS, ...without trekkies (devoted StarTrek fans) the StarTrek franchise would not be as big as it is today, so I am sure that Paramount do not mind people cloning/replicating LCARS for non-profit purposes like skinning free software.

Like I wrote here before: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110

Cool

Cheers for that Gamester, If anyone from Paramount starts on me, I'll be sure to send them your way Laugh

Sure please do, but don't worry, big company lawers always send a nicely frased cease and desist e-mail/letter first, kindly asking you to stop before the take any legal actions. We only had that happen once before, and that was for the HP media center clone skin a few years back, (note that it was a commercial media center software which was was cloned which is a huge difference).
Yeah as long as you not actually directly ripping the graphics and sounds from their videos and other media they have released and making them yourself or getting them from other people who have done so its useally fine.
Take the mc360 skin for example Microsoft had no problem with it as long as we made it all ourselves and didn't just rip their images from the 360 hdd
Are you guys still trying to work on this? I finally rescued the skin files from my partially completed LCARS skin from over a year ago and it's kind of reignited my desire to make this skin. I'd be happy to work with you guys if you're interested.
I would like to work on it, but my jobs don't leave me very much free time anymore :/

It's too bad nobody has made a nice skin editor yet - things would go a lot faster if I didn't have to relearn the xml format every time I want to sit down for an hour to work on my skin.

timdog82001, you or anyone else is free to use my skin code and graphics if you wish. I'm probably not going to have any significant free time for the next few months, but I'll be happy to chime in with help when I can. Maybe we can get a skin to the point where it can be 'good enough' for the skinning svn, and then we can just work on it as time permits afterwards?
Yeah, I don't have a ton of free time with school, but I'd still like to make this a reality eventually. Would you (and NickyZero, if he's still around) like to meet up in irc or msn messenger or something and talk about it?
That's fine with me.. I'm almost always lurking in the #xbmc* channels on freenode - I'll keep an eye out Smile
NickyZero Wrote:Sorry been a way for a while guys, been caught up in a few other projects around the net, as well as job hunting, but I think im about 80% off of figuring some kinda ambient audio idea, and 60% away from an alpha,

Hah the ambient audio, that'd be great Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] LCARS (Star Trek) inspired skin for XBMC possible? Any volunteers?0