[REQUEST] LCARS (Star Trek) inspired skin for XBMC possible? Any volunteers?
are you "killa" in irc?
Wow, I've been busy lately... sorry timdog. I am still interested in collaborating, and thinking about taking up Gamester17 on his offer to put my skin on the repository (if it still stands) as I think that would allow more people to check it out, and encourage development.
no worries as I've been incredibly busy as well with midterms and spending all my free time trying finish getting my new linux box perfected. I'd be interested on working on this sometime, but probably not till after christmas...real life caught up with me soon after I posted on here
This is my first post (I have a PPC, so I had been watching xbmc from afar until recently) and I was just wondering if there has been any progress on this project. I feel horrible having my first post be a whiny one, but what can you do?
everybody seems to have gotten distracted or lost interest. I did quite a bit on the homepage and did most of the settings and some dialogs and so on, but in overall thats not much, and I've been in Costa Rica for the past 3 months, will be leaving for the alaskan wilderness for another 3 months after I get back, and then leaving for ecuador for another 3 months after that. So....don't expect anything from me any time soon.
Hella bumpage! Is anyone working on this? I have moderate graphics skills, and speak fluent XML. I am learning the ins and outs of skinning XBMC. As a huge, life-long Trekkie, a decent LCARS skin would be great!

I downloaded the alpha that was posted on this thread and was left wanting. I am basing my idea on the "Basics" series of skins rather than PM3:HD. I'd really welcome some help.

Thanks!
I'm always checking out MediaStream Redux (now it'll be Confluence) as Jezz_X's skins are great for learning.
Wow, more than a year since I last posted in this thread; time flies. I'm posting yet another in-progress zip of my work right here. I spent some time on it a while ago, but have never really gotten very far. I find that when I do sit down to work on my skin, I get discouraged and somewhat overwhelmed by the complexity of skinning XBMC, so I lose ambition on it quite fast. That said, I'd like to repeat that anyone is free to reuse whatever they would like from my skin as it stands.
Killarny: That is much better than the older one from 05/2008! What can I do to help?
Thanks for the kind words, dave Smile

I know that I'm missing tons of dialogs, and my xml files are based off of an ancient version of PMIII, so I suppose what we really need to do is list out everything that is still missing at least a cursory bit of attention in the skin. I'd really love to be able to collaborate with people on this; if that means adding to the skin repo, then I'm happy to do that. As far as I'm concerned, all of my efforts thusfar are free and "open source" for anyone in the community to use. Not that any of my graphics are the envy of designers anywhere, but they are free as well Smile

One thing I certainly recall being a limitation was the font. I switched to some other font that I found, but every font I've seen that claims to be an LCARS font really sucks for readability at small sizes. The current font seems better, but what do you think? Is it readable at small sizes?

Since there seems to be a decent amount of people interested in getting something LCARS on our XBMC, we all might benefit from working on a common code-base together.
Gave this a try, I don't know anything about LCARS or Star Trek(beyond the common stuff)...skin looks nice, sounds are unique and have they computer/futuristic sound. I didn't think the font was bad at all.
I am so happy to hear there has been movement forward on this. If there is anything someone with no idea how to do any skinning can do to help, let me know.
Hmm, with a touch screen interface this will be a pretty cool thing.

As for the complexities of skinning XBMC I bet it must be looking at the amount of freedom provided by the skinning engine that must mean that it also is quite hard to make it do exactly what you want it to be doing.

I have been thinking about maybe someday getting to working on my own skin but looking at the work that others are doing, your self included, and the quality of their work I wonder if I will ever be able to even get close to what they have done.
if this skin had an info list view, it would be the only skin i used!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOvDFxn76g

This doesn't directly relate to XBMC but I felt people here could appreciate this thing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] LCARS (Star Trek) inspired skin for XBMC possible? Any volunteers?0