Win [Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 10
Just registered to let you know that I suffer from the same problem.

* i5 760 1st gen
* GTX 950
* W10 (updated last week, when the problem started)
* Kodi 15.2

Changing to full software does seem to have fixed the problem. But that means no more h265 decoding (one of the reasons I just upgraded my GPU). So next I will be trying the fresh install of the drivers. It's a pretty clean install of my drivers, too (I just plugged in the new card a couple of days ago), so if this works for me, it might be worth a shot for LarrxX as well...

This post mainly to make sure there is enough awareness around this issue.
I'm having crashes with some MP4 files (didn(t look into the specifics of the encoding yet), even in full software :'(

It's rare, but it happens at the same moment in the same files, so there's that...

(2015-12-19, 14:15)Chronix Wrote: Changing to full software does seem to have fixed the problem. But that means no more h265 decoding (one of the reasons I just upgraded my GPU). So next I will be trying the fresh install of the drivers. It's a pretty clean install of my drivers, too (I just plugged in the new card a couple of days ago), so if this works for me, it might be worth a shot for LarrxX as well...

What could be worth a shot? I tried a fresh install of Win10, and then just installed drivers and Kodi. Can't get any fresher than this can it? Smile Unless I misunderstood something in your post.

Anyway, would love some feedback.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
(2015-12-17, 23:00)LarrxX Wrote: For my part, a clean install won't solve my problem since it happened on a fresh new install of Win10, not an update, a fresh install. I just installed Win10, nVidia drivers and then Kodi. Had crash issues. Can't get cleaner than that, can you? Smile

It was because of hoschi80's post before you. He mentioned improvement even after a pretty clean install.

Anyways, just removed every driver on my system and installed 359.06. Turned hw accelleration back on and after 10 minutes of play the system crashed again on interaction.

So it's back to software mode.

I understand that Jarvis beta is pretty unstable right now, but does this specific problem persist there?
Just an update:

I rolled back to the 358.50 (using DDU to first clean and turn off automatic update of drivers by windows), and am now running pretty stable with hardware accelleration enabled.

So yeah, that seems like a solution.
Thanks for this info now i can rewind and forward again. What is the downside of this method to change the gfx acceleration?
Asus s1-at5nm10e - Netgear READY NAS 102 - Wired -
-Receiver Pioneer VSX-529-K - ASUS RT-AC58U - USB HDD connected Seagate - SONY BRAVIA KDL-55W955B - Netgear ReadyNAS 102
Well, as I understood it, with content up to 1080p on h264, you'll probably do fine with just software decoding. I think most systems can do so without much problem. But when talking about 4k content, it gets messy and low- to midrange cpu's, like my first-gen i5 will probably no longer cut it. The standard will most likely become h265 and a GPU like my 960 GTX has hardware support for that. So it can take over the load that my CPU would be incapable of handling.

I'm sure there are folk here who can contradict me on that, tho, so don't take my word for it just yet. Thing is that if you don't notice any degrading in image quality or choppy framerates when watching fullHD content, you're probably fine just using software decoding.
...and now I'm having crashes even in software decoding after the latest Win10 update! :'( Crashes occurring during play, even without displaying the OSD! It's much much worse than before!

So now I'm using VLC and it's working flawlessly. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet until this gets fixed.

Rolling back to an old GPU driver is out of the question for me since I use the same machine for gaming...
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Hello from Italy,

my first post in this forum to confirm the same issue in my PC (i5 4690k / GTX 970 ) after Windows 10 1511 update.

With any video, it freeze with no possibility to switch to desktop to kill the Kodi process ... some times it freeze all the whole PC, in both case I need to restart the PC in order to continue.

Acceleration in hardware ... after reading these posts, I will try some update .... but I suppose that there is no solution at the moment.

Gian Luca
(2015-12-20, 00:30)LarrxX Wrote: Rolling back to an old GPU driver is out of the question for me since I use the same machine for gaming...

Well, I just went by my friend's house and she has a GTX Titan, is a real gamer and has Kodi running on the same machine. So I was curious if she had problems too. Turned out she didn't. So I checked and she was running the 358.50 driver. She plays the witcher 3 on ultra (partly, in 1080) so I really don't see any downside to rolling back for now. Especially if the driver turns out to be more stable.

If the new driver is unstable for Kodi, chances are it's going to be unstable for other things too. I really don't see why you wouldn't roll back unless there is an extremely specific change in this new version of the driver that you don't want to drop. Other than that you can roll back and wait for the next iteration of the driver and see if the problem persists there.
(2015-12-20, 12:31)glfp Wrote: Hello from Italy,

my first post in this forum to confirm the same issue in my PC (i5 4690k / GTX 970 ) after Windows 10 1511 update.

With any video, it freeze with no possibility to switch to desktop to kill the Kodi process ... some times it freeze all the whole PC, in both case I need to restart the PC in order to continue.

Acceleration in hardware ... after reading these posts, I will try some update .... but I suppose that there is no solution at the moment.

Gian Luca

When it locks up, can you force kodi to windowed mode? Alt+return or \ (backslash) or in my case the µ-key? That way you should have control again.
(2015-12-20, 13:12)Chronix Wrote: When it locks up, can you force kodi to windowed mode? Alt+return or \ (backslash) or in my case the µ-key? That way you should have control again.

I'll give a try, but last 2 times all the PC freeze (!!).... I'll do some tentative ...

Thanks !
I am also facing the same problem. It only appeared after the Win10 Big Update. I also have a GTX970.
Tried turning off hardware acceleration. Will test it for a while.
Thank you!
There is a way (bug traking) to officially notify this bug to the Kodi team ?
(2015-12-21, 12:45)glfp Wrote: There is a way (bug traking) to officially notify this bug to the Kodi team ?

There is a bug reporting system "trac", but I don't think much work will be done on Isengard. Since
you are on windows I might suggest installing latest Jarvis nightly and run it in portable mode. See
if that affects your problem at all (I just run Win 7 and 8.0 for Kodi so can't help on Win 10. I did put
Win 10 on an old laptop, but that has an NVidia mobile GPU that isn't supported in Win 10 drivers
by NVidia).

scott s.
Note: nothing will be done for Isengard.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 103