• 2(current)
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?
lack of memory is the main issue with a web browser. the more stuff we put in xbmc, the less memory available for actually displaying media. i don't see what the big hassle with starting a separate app for browsing is - you're not going to be able to do anything else at the same time in any event.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

you are right.

xbmc as dash and the browser as app and if i want stream something, the browser could make a .strm-file and exit to xbmc, which play the file immediately.

i don`t know if it is possible but it would be cool.
linksbok
so you know
(lightfast @ mar. 08 2004,22:24 Wrote:i love to to see this in xbmc, its a great browser

only problem is that its so quiet while browsing it needs music in the background... would be total ownage to be able to be browse the net and let stuff download while you watch your media... hell it would be to good if a bittorrent client was ported as well...

could browse to a few torrent sites click the torrent, start it downloading then go watch your media... after that watch the film or whatever you just downloaded
if you want all that, use a pc. the xbox is likely to run out of memory just using the web browser, let alone a torrent and a video stream.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(bobrooney_78 @ mar. 08 2004,14:38 Wrote:a special xboxmedia-website (designed for the xbox-webbrowser) where i can stream (.strm-files) or downloading (.torrent Wink ) videos like movie-trailers or xbmc-skins...
i really like that idea!!
those rss feads are quite nice but i still have to program the ui myself. a simple browser like links would do the trick.

i don't have a clue if there are other browsers (like firefox) could do the same while running as a thread?
hmm..seems every1 is in agreement that it would drain resources too much..if this is the case....

maybe since xbmc can be a dash ..we could have a link "my browser" to launch linkbok's browser (or another 1 if/when it comes along) in the main menu between "my music" and "my files" ?

then make a tag appropriately in the .xml ?
okay. everyone agrees that we are working with limited memory here. also everyone agrees that xbmc. although wonderful, can't possibly include everything. it will never do your laundry, clean your apartment, or feed your cat. it will probably never have a full web browser either because that is a large project in itself.
however what it can do is become more customizeable via the xml file so that maybe along with/instead of music, videos, picutres, files we could add surf the web (which would be a bookmark to an app such as linksboks) or play super nintendo (which would like to xsnes9x). extending the xml syntax would get closer to pleasing more people, or at least giving them the option to please themself.
--jaga

p.s. and by please themself, i mean configure the menu's exactly as they'd like to, not masturbate.
--jaga
about that memory problem. can't it be loaded in the pragma section.. so it wouldn't be loaded by default and can be unloaded again?

and what about a extremly simple browser (only bmp, text and tables)... in that way pages can be created specially for xbmc which contain .strm and .pls files..
perhaps some news and skins ?!

what do you devs think?
i would really like to see the possibility to add menu buttons on the startup page of xbmc myself, that way i can put whatever i want there, be it a link to linkboks or a folder or whatever.

this is would give everyone the freedom they would like, i don't want the browser within xbmc, just a nice way of launching it.

since python scripts are more and more developed ( someone is working on a pop3 email client it would be more than great to have it launch from the startup page instead of going through the submenus to start it.
as for the 'special' xbmc web sites, why doesn't someone just write a python script to connect and parse a special page. it's doable and it wouldn't use much memory. if that is done then the dev's are a bit more likely to add in a handler to let you launch a stream found via the python script/psuedo browser.
--jaga
--jaga
would be great at the home menu select the rss scrolling control and when you click it, open a browser page with the web link associated to the corresponded news item you were are seeeing?

thanks
Star 
i won't go that far to use a full web browser to read further descriptions of the rss news headlines. what about just making the headlines "selectable". after selecting a news headline simply parse the <description>-tag to the screen...
okay, i understand the focus of "media player", but also the weather forecast was implemented ( :kickass: ). and an enhanced rss support would bring xbmc once again a bit closer to beeing a perfect living room application!

cheers,
arrowx
new to xbmc and was wondering if it had some kind of web browser built into it, or do i need something else or is it even possible to do with thw xbox?

thanks
moving to the "feature suggestions".

there is a xbox webbrowser called lixbox.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
where could i find some more info on this, i searched the forum and nothing. want 2 know if it is as app like xbmc do i have to install linux, do i need keyboard...etc.

thanks
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?2