• 4(current)
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?
thanks pike!
(silentyl @ mar. 18 2004,01:27 Wrote:hmm..seems every1 is in agreement that it would drain resources too much..if this is the case....

maybe since xbmc can be a dash ..we could have a link "my browser" to launch linkbok's browser (or another 1 if/when it comes along) in the main menu between "my music" and "my files" ?

then make a tag appropriately in the .xml ?
kewl.... something for me to play with!!! now if i can just get some sort of savegame manipulation and this i think i will be content for @ 10 minutes at least lol
first, i'm not interested in browsing the internet from xbmc.

but i am interested in displaying intranet web pages (in my house). they are html & asp pages to be exact running on a homeseer web server. these are my home automation status and control pages.

would the same effort to create a full web browser need to be applied to have a basic display of a page that would allow submits to an asp web server (basically the pages have some buttons to turn lights on/off)?

i've seen web servers and browsers built into pic chips so i'd think if they were stripped down bare they would not take up that much system resources?

with so much going web based today (router config/status, home media players (mp3, tivo, etc), appliances, etc. i'd think many people would want the ability to use the pages from within xbmc as a central location to control your home.

just my $.02
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
@affini: sounds like you could do what you want with a python script.
i'm not sure if python will be able to display asp pages... anyone know?
(affini @ feb. 23 2005,04:47 Wrote:i'm not sure if python will be able to display asp pages... anyone know?
correct me if i'm wrong, but no matter what kind of web server it is, the browser will just get html tags and content. so there has no question about if a browser support asp or php or jsp/servlet. if you are asking if python support javascript or some other client side script language, that will be the question.
i did some research and here's what i have found so far. if someone is a decent python dev person they may be able to adapt some existing stuff to work on xbmc.

python and html processing
http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/html.html

lots of python info on web pages
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.pyth...ython.html

python browser what is fully html 2.0 and partially html 3.2
http://grail.sourceforge.net

creating a gnome web browser with python
http://patrick.wagstrom.net/tutorials/py...embed.html
- this looks promising... seems to use the mozilla libraries.

browser written completely in python
http://mindx.josefspillner.de/uni/python/browser.html
- source and doc (in german) on site.
first let me say i know the developers have not been fond of the idea of integrating a web browser into xbmc because "it is a media center, not an os," but check this out and think of how many times people requested this in the past before finally accepting that it wasn't going to happen.  i tried searching for some of the old threads on this but they were buried to deep for me.  the source for the new release can be found at:
http://ysbox.online.fr/

also, this was posted on x-s about the release which makes it seem like most of the work is already done:

"this release features a major architecture change, the browser itself is now packaged as a library (the "engine"); the actual app as you know it is simply the first and only "host" application of this library (exluding the "embedded sample" included in the source package)."

"some more work is needed, but this library can (i think) be integrated quite easily into "host" applications (in xbmc or dashboards for example)."

i guess we can only hope that somebody will have an interest in this and take a peek to see how much it would take to implement it. my idea to keep away from cluttering the homescreen with another button is to set it up like xlink so that a button will only appear for it if there is an internet connection present that way people without an internet connection will not be bothered with it. please please please somebody check this one out.
wow, this would be wonderful. i hope it is indeed possible.
--jaga
i was just thinking about posting the info here until i seen the topic on the forums homepage. Wink

integrating the web browser into xbmc would definately be a cool feature now that linksboks has the ability. this would be a huge step into making xbox media center the best application/dashboard of all time! :o

-rocsqualie
it would be an instant ~5mb of bloat.

whats so hard with adding it as a shortcut to the dialogsubmenu and have it quickly available ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it's not hard, just that there are benefits to integrating it. it would be faster to get back to xbmc if it was integrated. the base functionality is already in linksboks, however it could stand to be extended, with the xbmc user-base this is almost certain to happen. also, the author seperated the engine from the host app for uses like this. why immediately shoot it down and say launch it, things like audioscrobbler support are also bloat, what about kai, more bloat! i am not trying to come off as sarcastic, but let's be serious here, many people would use it and many people would love it.
i guess the difference between launching and integrating the web browser, would functionally be the ability to browse the web while listening to music and the ability to click a streaming media link in a web page, and have it launched. visually, a unified interface/keyboard/controls would be nice. i know memory is limited, and i also know at least a few of the devs are 'anti-browser', but for me, it'd be neat.
--jaga
@los93sol

there's bloat then there's bloat.
audioscrobbler is max a cpl of 100k (but i would guess less than 100) and is very much mediarelated
xlink kai is a remote control for their engine, with substantially higher bloatfactor, but not even close to what a webbrowser would be.

at the end, there's 2 things that really matters:

* do we, team xbmc members (thats not you guys) want this (still unknown)
* is it even possible to do and/or would it affect our media playback abilities negative etc
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i think we can summ it up to one thing only:

- is there somebody who gonna add it (thats the great thing about open source btw, you want a feature so add it and don't be pissed if somebody says that he won't) :p
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?2