Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?
Lightbulb 
Jump search function (like WinAmp's "jump") with T9 type predictive text typing input?

would it be posible to ad a search function (like winamps "jump") where you just start typing, an then the matching names pops up?

is it only me, or does anyone else find it unusable to use the existing seach function? it should use the database instead of searching through all the shares to create a live search filter. this seems like it should be a fundamental feature of any streaming media player.

i really miss this feature
it would be mutch faster way to do a search, because you dont have to type the whole name. and especially if you dont know the name of a song exactly

maybe it could be done by a view filter and the "phone" input method/onscreen keyboard and normal keyboard. this way the view filter can exclude the files that doesn't match the words you just entered. this should of course be done in the database to make it quicker.
Thumbs Up 
i get what your saying and defently agree.

maybe an alternate explination to help others get it.

it would be an on the fly search. so your searching for "stairway to heaven" when u type "s" it would jump u to the "s"s then when u hit "t" it would jump you to the "st"'s. you can repeat this process untill you get close enough to just scroll the rest of the way.

this would be much much faster than typing in "stairway to heaven" or the way i format filenames "led zeplin - iv - stairway to heaven" and what if you forget some little part like the album(iv isnt the album stairway to heaven is on) or make a small typo? you have to retype all that over again.

say you want to just jump to an artist on your playlist. youd have to remember the file name of the first alphabetical song. remember that if you have a file list big enought to need to do a search in the first place you probably have tag info off so its not hella slow.

defently would love this feature if you read this and dont get it say so and we will convince you!
(pike @ april 03 2005,19:17 Wrote:so you got a keyboard attached?

how else would this be usable?
there is an onscreen keyboard :d if you had a real keyboard this feature wouldnt be as usefull(but defently good still)
thanx blindguy... nice to se that that at least one person isnt blind to my suggestion :o

but still with a real keyb it would be a very fast way to do a search... ( 2 sec or less :p )

any developer with a comment??
you can use the onscreen keyboard like how it is curently. in the background you see the list of songs moving as you enter letters. when you hit enter it closes the keyboard and leaves you in the spot you jumped to.
is there any developer that would be interested in looking into this?

this feature would really take xbmc's navigation capabilities to the next level... Smile
a preview of how it could be inplemented in the gui with an option to turn the keyboard on and off for users without a remote

without keyboard (text input by phone method or a normal pc) keyboard

with keyboard for joypad input
(blindguy @ april 30 2005,19:34 Wrote:whats the point of a new keyboard, there is already one that you can use to search. the problem we are adressing is how you must currently type the entire length of the file correctly instead of just the first few letters
point me in the right direction if i'm looking at the wrong thing, but i just press search, type 4 or 5 letters (in sms style if i have the remote in my hand) and then press enter/select.

i get a list of tracks containing those letters? i've just stuck "diam" in and get 1 album and 6 songs containing "diamond" somewhere in their name. works on my 1000s of tracks.

i like the interactive format idea - smaller keyboard with the list instantly updating as you press each letter - but it's only a little polish to something that works already as far as i can see?
mou you wouldnt want it to search the middle of the string
your entry in the demo should be "50 c" not "cent"
a little polish... in my opinion it would be a sweet upgrade because you don't have to start over if you typed wrong and there would be no need of typing more letters then needed because you see the result emediatly...

wry not blindguy...? with a search string in the middle of a word like winamp it would possible to find the song that you cant remember the name of

example: eminem - like toy soldiers

ex. of search stings:

-> emi (shows everything with emi, resulting in a list of eminem songs)
-> soldier (if you cant rember the name of the artist, but know that the track name contains the word soldier)

-> oldie :lol: (not that this would come in handy, but still possible)

the currently search function in xbmc does this aswell. so it is only a matter of the self updating results list, not a rebuild of the search function Smile
Lightbulb 
i think the title is self explanatory... dont you guys think it would be nice to be able to do a search for specific filenames using the osk? and on top of that, you should be able to create on the fly playlists as well. (saves a new .m3u file on the hd)

let me know what you guys think!

thanks
there is a search function. it only uses the database, and i dont think its accessible from the osd.

and you can make on the fly playlists... you need to queue the items. queue is available in the context menu, and on both the gamepad and remote (zero). look at keymap.xml for the mapping on the gamepad. i forget what it is. i never use the gamepad.

after you've queue'ed up files, switch to the playlists window. "now playing" from the context menu. it can also be made accessible via a button using xbmc.activatewindow() commands. search the manual (in my sig) for more details on that.

once at the playlists window, you can save the current playlist as an m3u file. the saved playlist can be accessed from music -> files -> playlists or music -> library -> playlists.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
actually i am completing a vehicle xbox installation very shortly.

i would also like to see this functionality added.

if a search function was developed what is the policy on implementing the code in xbmc?

here is the layout, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093940/5

Quote:if a search function was developed what is the policy on implementing the code in xbmc?

it would have a great chance of hitting cvs. implement it, put a patch up on sf.net and i promise you we'll get it in there

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?2