Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?
Lightbulb 
I like this search...

tivo-has-a-new-search/

Something similar in XBMC would be cool Smile
I would admit a simple jump to Letter would be useful. With a big library it can be a pain scrolling through them all to get where you want.

Maybe you should post a feature request Smile
As you can see from the image, different types of media is searched. Movies, music, trailers, photos. Even searching on youtube etc is possible.
HexusOdy Wrote:I would admit a simple jump to Letter would be useful. With a big library it can be a pain scrolling through them all to get where you want.
jmarshall Wrote:7. I have code (currently not in SVN as it's still being refined) to jump through the list based on keyboard input when you hold down SHIFT. Currently implemented as: SHIFT B -> takes you to the first B. SHIFT->BO takes you to the first entry starting with "BO" (if it exists). Times out at 1 second for more than one text input, and ignores current text input if there isn't a valid match (eg no "BO" things to find, would jump to the O's on press of the O)
This is in SVN now, so jump-to-letter is just SHIFT+Letter.

My favorite xbmc search is the FilterSMS though, love it. LOVE IT.
The Tivo filtering is not like the XBMC described. It's across music and videos etc kind of like spotlight/desktop search I guess
The music library search is across everything in the music library, and it's a live search.

This just appears to search more stuff at once?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:7. I have code (currently not in SVN as it's still being refined) to jump through the list based on keyboard input when you hold down SHIFT. Currently implemented as: SHIFT B -> takes you to the first B. SHIFT->BO takes you to the first entry starting with "BO" (if it exists). Times out at 1 second for more than one text input, and ignores current text input if there isn't a valid match (eg no "BO" things to find, would jump to the O's on press of the O)
Awesome! I can't believe this has been available for so long and I just barely figured it out.

I was about to suggest such a feature when I decided I better search first. Smile I'm use to MCE where you can just start typing the name on the keyboard and it'll jump through your media list. I didn't think it would be possible on XBMC because so many of the keys are mapped to other function. I never thought about holding down SHIFT.

One question though, is there any way to jump to titles that start with numbers?
Lightbulb 
I tried Windows Media Center the other day and found a nice little feature that I´m missing in XBMC.

If I go into movies all my movies are displayed one after oneother and if I have, let´s say 100 movies and I want to watch the 50th movie I have to press a button 50 times to get to that movie.

In WMC you can simply use the numeric buttons to search for a specific movie. If you press Num 2 twice you get a B and all movies containing "B" in the title are displayed, the rest are not shown. Then you can go on and Num 6 three times to get an "O" and all movies containing "BO" in the title are displayed and the rest are not shown.

You get the idea... The beauty of it is that the movietitle doesn´t have to start with "BO", just have it somewhere in the title.

Ofcourse this alsa worked for music, images etc. Everywhere you wanted you could use this search option. Pretty neet huh? Smile
I really dont know where to put this question. I dont know where the changes i want to make belong skin/script/xbmc source...

Here is what i am looking to accomplish. I want to implement a feature that will allow me to filter on not just the title but the year, plot information, filename, actor, genre. I would like to be able to search for something like "bank clive" (part of the plot and actor name) and get the Inside Man or search for "monster 2009" (part of the title and year) and get Monsters Vs Aliens. Also i would like to be able to filter using file names, extensions "1080p mkv"(resolution and file extension) I would really like this to work just like filter does now, only allow me, to filter based on more data.

So what i am asking for is where this changes would have to be made. Can i create a script/plugin that would do this? Is it something i can control from a skin modification? Or do i need to modify XBMC?
Investigate smart playlists. They do the filtering side.

The search is handled by the button appropriately labelled "Search" - it won't work for more than one search term, however. It's not live updating in the video library, though it is in the music library.

There's also filtering (which generally isn't implemented in most skins) for SMS or word-based filtering of the current list.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Yea i found filter in some of the skins that i use. Filter does most of the things i want (to bad its restricted to title only). Is there a way to map a key to Filter. I know how to map keys i just dont know what the Filter Action Name is. I would like to be able to just press a key and start filtering. If it does not exist what needs to be done in order to make it work?

Also where is the xbmc code that handles filtering? If i wanted to include plot and year into filtering what file/s would i have to modify.

Smart Playlists look interesting but it does not look like it would handle the kind of thing i want to do.
The filtering is done in GUIWindowVideoNav.cpp and GUIWindowMusicNav.cpp. Look for FilterItems. The filter button is an edit control for fast filtering if you're using the keyboard. You could use SendClick() in your keymap (using the appropriate button id - grab it from the skin's XML) to go to it on button press.

If you're on the remote, then there's FilterSMS2-9 actions available via keymapping. This does the same as filtering but uses an SMS mask (eg 2 hits ABC)

Thanks for all the info.
Lightbulb 
As bigger libraries are becoming more common I think it would be good to see better seach integration with xbmc.

Especially within music but for myself and I'd imagine others with larger video collections mere sms jump is not enough as there can be several hundred movies under some letters.

I'd love to see a permanent seach box integrated into the interface which could be navigated to and entered using sms style text or a keyboard which could be used to quickly search within the current view for easier finding of files.
all of this is available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?2