pvr.mythtv add-on feature request - option to disable recording per client
I would like to be able to set on a client by client basis who can record shows and who can't.
The intent is to have 6 tuners on mythtv with 2 allocated to DVR and 4 available for live tv viewing.
With a house with 4 TV's, I don't want to lock any of them out of viewing TV because one or more of my family members all want to record multiple reality TV shows.
Maybe toggles for Allow Record, Allow Play Recordings, and obviously allow LiveTV.
A pin for changing setup would be nice, but I have no idea the additional development.
6 tuners should be able to record/watch around 30 channels, depending mux setups.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Shouldn't that be configured in the backend, how many tuners to use for DVR/LiveTV?

Even if only one client were allowed to record, if that client choose to record enough programs, all tuners or to many tuners, could be in use to make someone not be able to watch LiveTV.

If the backend only are allowed to use two tuners for recording, all clients can always watch LiveTV.
I agree the backend is the place to do this.

Assuming you have more than one DVB card, you can prevent a card being used by the scheduler by setting 'Schedule order' to 0 for that card (it's in mythtv-setup, Input Connections, <select Input connection>, Page 2). I think this applies to all 'virtual' tuners on that card.

Alternatively / or as well as this, you can set 'Allow Live TV to move scheduled shows' on the kodi client. (Addons->PVR CLients->Mythtv PVR Client->Settings->General)
I have this set to on, but as I have 9 tuners (3 cards with 3 virtuals for each) and only seem to use one frontend at a time, I can't really comment on how well it would work in your situation.

I have noticed however that live TV fails to start first time sometimes. This seems to be because my backend storage hard disks have gone to sleep and don't power up to store the recording quick enough, causing kodi to time out. Try the channel again 5 seconds later and it almost always works. (You may be blaming your offspring's obsessive reality TV recording unnecessarily ;-)

Another thing which might help is to set the Schedule order and Live TV order for your cards differently (they default to the same) that way card '6' will be preferred for Live TV and card '1' for recordings. (Pick the card which responds quickest for Live TV if you have a choice)
I'm using a HDHomerun Prime with a CableCard (and soon to add another set). I don't believe the combination with the CableCard allows muxing.
Metaron, it sounds like you're saying that I can change Schedule order and Live TV order in the backend. So am I right in assuming I can put some tuners as never record and some as never Live TV? (I obviously still need to wrap my head around dynamically assigned tuners, and probably post on the mythtv forums).
I think if you set the priority for a tuner to a -ve number it won't use it for that use. Read the help tip at the bottom of the screen when you are in the correct field in mythtv-setup.
The mythtv backend does allow for this via the input connections. But it is not without its flaws. I have a HDHomerun CC, and I make one tuner always prefer live tv, and the other 2 are normal. My mother in law watches TV and never uses PVR functions, and she always has the tv on, so as long as that is the case My wife and I have 2 tuners to watch live tv and record shows. It works, as long as my mother in law has the tv on first. there is no way to make her KODI instance force Tuner 3. That is not how mythtv is designed. I also always set my kodi instances to prefer recordings and stop live tv just cause I am paranoid.Nod

Another key problem that could probably be made better with the kodi pvr is say you are watching a show up stairs while someone downstairs is always watching that show. Right now it will use 2 tuners to let 2 people watch the show. You could though go to recordings/livetv and then start the show from there (it exists cause it on a buffer from the other room) and start watching that way, so now you have 2 people watching a show, with only one tuner in use. This use case isn't always great though. Take Sunday I moved to the kitchen to cook before halftime of the football game, while it was still going in the living room. I could not easily use only one tuner, cause if I started from the recording/livetv area, it would put me at the beginning of the game, and I would of had to fastforward up to the buffer, and possibly been out of sync, which gets annoying for live sports.

Also if one person is a channel hoper in commericials you now have a bunch of smaller buffers getting made.
(Living Room)
core i7 HD4000 running MythTV .27 and XBMC 16
on XBMCUbuntu 14.04 with 24Hz, DTS-HDMA 7.1
(Bedroom)
core i3 Intel Nuc MythTV .27(front end) and XBMC 16
on Xubuntu 14.04 with 24Hz,
(Mother-in-Law)
Second Gen Raspberry Pi running OpenElec
Droid Turbo with kodi and live tv!
Exists a PR made by lucylang to add option to disable timers.
But now kodi doesn t work with timers disabled as previous version until helix. It simply crashes. So to make it we have to fix these issues and then we will enable the option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr.mythtv add-on feature request - option to disable recording per client0