Bug Rom Collection Browser Special Chars Hack
This is primarily a reminder for me, if i have ever to fix this again, however somebody might find that useful as well.

RCB unfortunatelly has some serious problems, among them is, that it fails on special characters.
For example if you have German Umlauts in your description, RCB simply refuses to scrape that into its DB as it seems.
Or think about Syberia and its Developer Microïds (it will fail as well)

To fix this, there are two steps neccesary (assuming you are on RCB 2.1.2:
For step 1, you need to have your games as .nfo files which you have to reimport into RCB. As for me, the Scrappers give only medicore results anyway, I do them manually.
Now you have to replace every special Character with escape code Sequences (html codes like ä seems not to work, not sure though).
For example ü becomes& # 252; (without spaces of course)
Personally i recorded a macro with notepad++ which now does the trick.

Unfortunatelly, we are not done yet.
For now, the strings are only displayed on the game info page, but not on the collection main page.
For whatever reason, it seems that RCB even handles that stuff different internally.

To have those escaped chars shown correctly on main page, you have to modify the script helper.py which is found under
addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib

Here go to the saveReadString(property) Method and where it says:
Code:
except:
            result = ""

replace result with
Code:
result = property.encode('utf-8')

I consider this an evil hack, but i don't have time to work into it and fix it properly. Also I don't know about other side effects, or if this will work on anything else then windows 7
Thank you .+100500 .Earning your brownie points

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rom Collection Browser Special Chars Hack0