Music player in latest builds gone downhill
Hey i just updated my from the last stable build (v2.0.1) to this one "Xboxmediacenter - March 12th 2007 Svn Rev8103 Build, compiled by T3CH" and the only bad thing about this one is that when you play a song it adds every song in the same folder to the now playing list. It sucks now because i like to go through and listen to a song then add it to the playlist by pressing "Y" or if i wanted to add a whole folder i would just press "Y" on the folder. Also the "random" button has gone and you are just left with "shuffle". Does anyone know of a way to fix these two problems or if they will be changed?
think there is an option in settings for that.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Or instead of clicking to play the first sone you could Queue it which would only put that song in the playlist then you can continue like normal
any idea where it is in the settings then?

having to press Y on a song just to play it doesnt really make it any better. just say i have a list of songs i want to make a playlist out of and im not sure which 1's i want in it. instead of just playing the songs the normal way then pressing Y to add them to now playing i would have to write the songs that i want down on a piece of paper or play all the songs then remove the 1's i want. i just dont see any advantage of having it this new way. would they be able to add a seperate "playlist" page to access aswell as now playing. also can you guys add the random button back in as i would rather use random instead of shuffle since i like to go through my songs and choose a song still even when it is on random. any reasons why these things where changed in the first place?
any idea where it is in the settings then?

having to press Y on a song just to play it doesnt really make it any better. just say i have a list of songs i want to make a playlist out of and im not sure which 1's i want in it. instead of just playing the songs the normal way then pressing Y to add them to now playing i would have to write the songs that i want down on a piece of paper or play all the songs then remove the 1's i want. i just dont see any advantage of having it this new way. would they be able to add a seperate "playlist" page to access aswell as now playing. also can you guys add the random button back in as i would rather use random instead of shuffle since i like to go through my songs and choose a song still even when it is on random. any reasons why these things where changed in the first place?
There is no option.

Y simply queues a bunch of songs to the current now playing list. Play replaces the now playing list with the item you play. It's not a playlist, it's the now playing list.

You want a playlist editor.

Maybe, just maybe, there's one on it's way...

As for random vs shuffle, there is NO difference except for the order in which the songs are displayed. If you just use playlists as a list of songs, as it's intended, then they're displayed by default in the playlist order. The now playing list, however, displays them in the playing order. Simple.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

yeh well it makes sense how the now playing actually shows now playing songs now but a playlist editor is definately needed. i also knew there was no difference in order of songs between shuffle and random but if there was still a random button that would be nice because it doesnt shuffle the songs around so you can still see the proper order of songs. if you had a shuffle button and a random button i'd say the random button would be used alot more than the shuffle button.

alot of people whose xbox's i mod/update dont want to update to the new builds for the same reasons i dont. but if there was a playlist editor and a random and shuffle button all problems would be solved.

sorry for my ranting. keep up the tremendous work guys.
Sorry, never gonna be random and shuffle. There will only be shuffle.

I repeat: The playlist when you click on it is listed in order, whether you have shuffle on or not. Only the Now playing list will show things in the order they will be played (makes perfect sense, doesn't it). So just don't view using now playing.

As for the other function, check the changelog.

Quote:alot of people whose xbox's i mod/update dont want to update to the new builds for the same reasons i dont.

Same here. Queueing an entire folder to the Now Playing-screen on selecting a single song seems a bit much.

I like my playlists (not treated as folders) to start at random, so I have to enable shuffle in the now playing screen.

But now my regular albums also get shuffled, because they are loaded into the now playing-list. So I have two options:
1) have playlists start shuffled and manually unshuffle albums anytime I just want to play an album
2) have albums play chronologically and manually shuffle playlists after loading them

I don't like both. Sad Why do albums get loaded into the now playing-list? Does it improve on the way it works in the 2.0.1 release? (which I'm still using now, because of this behaviour) It doesn't for me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Is there any way around this behaviour? Maybe in advancedsettings or something? I would really like to upgrade to a newer XBMC (have you seen those skins?!Big Grin ) without being annoyed by queueing and shuffling issues.
Queuing an entire folder to the now playing window makes perfect sense, as the now playing window (surprisingly enough) shows you what is now playing (ie the album/folder!)

Now, if you want your playlist to list in a random order, then I suggest you write up a small patch that randomizes it on load, and add a setting to enable that. (eg "Always randomize playlist listings")

If you can't do that, then yes, manually switching shuffle on and off (it's on the playercontrols dialog) is the only way to do it, just like every other music player to my knowledge.

Remember: A playlist is just a list of songs - so is a folder. Why should they be treated any different!

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music player in latest builds gone downhill0