Zotac Zbox with Kodibuntu dies frequently
Hi,

I bought a ZOTAC ZBOX CI320 nano about half a year ago and installed Kodibuntu on it. Now the problem I have is that it turns off occasionally, even when it is not in use at all.

What I observe:
- The box sits there doing nothing, suddenly makes a click noise and the power LED turns red. If that is the case, nothing is visible on the screen.
- Sometimes it runs two weeks fine, sometimes this happens five times in a row with only a couple of minutes runtime after reboot.
- I also have experienced that if I am too annoyed to reboot it immediately (it has disk encryption so I always need keyboard and TV screen to boot), after a while the LED may turn back green, but nothing can be seen on the screen.
- In two cases the BIOS had been reset to default when I booted the machine.
- I ran memtest86+ for more than 10 hours and didn't see any error.

I am wondering:
- What is going on here?
- How can I debug the issue further? Is there any way I can check whether the motherboard has any defects? Looking at the last syslog messages before the crash, the last message would be nothing extraordinary (i.e., just some cron message or so, followed by a lot of ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ and then the next message after the reboot.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Tobias
Have you already upgraded to latest BIOS?
Hi,

thanks for your message and the hint. I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (where the hardest part was to create a MS-DOS USB memory stock) which worked fine and at least the machine is now already running fine for two hours ;-)

Thanks,
Tobias
Hi again,

well, it's down again. Very weird, even though the main LED is red, the connected USB disk is spinning constantly and pushing the power button on the server doesn't have any effect. I need to remove and re-insert the power cable to boot the machine again; never seen such a thing before. What else could be wrong?

Thanks,
Tobias

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox with Kodibuntu dies frequently0