• 10(current)
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
@cyber7 mind your language and stop shouting.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-03-18, 09:04)nickr Wrote: @cyber7 mind your language and stop shouting.

edited and fixed. Sorry for the shoutout Sad
Could you explain why this is "the brilliant chance" for kodi? Kodi is not about money, there is not a single cent involved for every release you download.

I don't see anything at all useful by implementing yet another two non standard APIs and doing the vendor's job to implement his non standard API.

So, can you summarize, why kodi should find / add manpower for that?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just adding my 2 cents..

I've been using XBMC / KODI for a very long time, first on Linux and more recently on Android. I have been reading the forums for some time but only recently joined.

Why? Because it's a pretty hostile place.

Some of the key members of the community are incredibly rude to people and the "if you don't like it go start your own media software / forum" attitude is really not conducive to a good community.

I've been trying to understand the source code in hopes of eventually being able to help with small patches, but I realized I would need help from experienced developers to really get the whole picture and I'm not sure that would happen.

I feel that if you were to actually post a job opening for a developer it would read:

Must have 10+ years experience developing XBMC / KODI and must be at least as familiar with the whole source code as our most experienced developers, ideally more.
Must be willing to accept that patches may be rejected for no obvious reason and without explanation (and sometimes rude comments).

.. going to be hard to attract new developers like that. That might actually not be true, but to a non-KODI-developer, that is how it looks from the outside.

Having said that, I know it's not as black and white as that. In the end, I am incredibly grateful to everyone in the KODI community who make this amazing software possible, from the long time developers, through those who added things then moved on, to the moderators, wiki maintainers and users helping each other here. I'm sure this will pass and KODI (or maybe KODI & SPMC) will continue to grow into something even more impressive.
I am a Kodi developer and member of Team Kodi. For me, all this started by submitting small patches to the source code. Nobody, especially non of the settled developers, expected that my code has to be perfect in the first place. They were quite patient with me, explained things and guided me into the right direction. This way I learned a lot about the code areas I was trying to poke into and finally was able to build kind of reputation as a Kodi developer - step by step...

And to be fair, especially the developer you're are shouting here at to be an a*****e was and still is really very supportive to me.

Not saying that it always works so good like it did in my case, but wanted to give an example that not everything Kodi team members are doing wrt community building and developer attracting is bad.

Just my 2 ct
(2016-03-18, 09:49)ksooo Wrote: I am a Kodi developer and member of Team Kodi. For me, all this started by submitting small patches to the source code. Nobody, especially non of the settled developers, expected that my code has to be perfect in the first place. They were quite patient with me, explained things and guided me into the right direction. This way I learned a lot about the code areas I was trying to poke into and finally was able to build kind of reputation as a Kodi developer - step by step...

That's great, sounds like how it should work!

My comment was based on how it looks to me.. but if that's not the reality that's good news.

Off-topic: Is there a general overview of the KODI source beyond the old XBMC Wiki Page?
(2016-03-18, 10:05)Gothicawakening Wrote:
(2016-03-18, 09:49)ksooo Wrote: I am a Kodi developer and member of Team Kodi. For me, all this started by submitting small patches to the source code. Nobody, especially non of the settled developers, expected that my code has to be perfect in the first place. They were quite patient with me, explained things and guided me into the right direction. This way I learned a lot about the code areas I was trying to poke into and finally was able to build kind of reputation as a Kodi developer - step by step...

That's great, sounds like how it should work!

My comment was based on how it looks to me.. but if that's not the reality that's good news.

Off-topic: Is there a general overview of the KODI source beyond the old XBMC Wiki Page?

Nope, sadly not. That's one of the weak things of kodi - documentation is bad :-) It's really best to read the "interfaces" they are commented nicely. When I started in 2k11 - I loaded the kodi src via the Makefile in to eclipse - then build it, started it and after a certain amount of time I pressed "pause" in eclipse. Found 20 threads running, got shocked - searched on of them that I was interested (SoftAE) and stepped through it.

Made a map from it:

Started hacking.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I must admit, as one of the other guys on here has mentioned before, sometimes the dev's here can be very hostile and ultimately off-putting. There was a point when I was about to start skinning and designing graphics, but stopped mid-concept because officials were just bulldozing their voices to others in a not so nice way.

I think both sides could and still can handle this a lot better, but I guess egos will always clash. You guys need to group back up, give your heads a wobble and possible weed out the mean, hostile atmosphere that has engulfed XBMC/KODI for quite a few years now. I feel that if doesn't then releases will start stagnating and the project might (not soon) start to die.
Just remember, its not just about developing Kodi but providing support.

Unless a whole bunch of users and Android device sellers are going to step forward for the Android side of Kodi to actually provide support, then I do not see any additions to the standard API's, that are now required being allowed to be added to the master Android Kodi code.

You only need to spend time here in the Android Sub-Forum to see the fragmentation and clusterfuck it has become with unsupported devices from Android sellers flogging pump and dump shit that simply does not work properly.

Simplification and standardisation so everyone is on the same page is the only way forward.

(2016-03-18, 18:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Simplification and standardisation so everyone is on the same page is the only way forward.

That's a great idea.

If only some Kodi developers or volunteers can put a wiki or guides together of how all the standard code and API's should look like with previous examples also or where to find them for Android then I think it would be much easier for the chip companies to get guidance to follow the correct route to implement their support for Kodi and make their code compatible with all the correct API's.
Then a forum or other easier way to share ideas and discussions with the chip companies, where they, Kodi Team members and Kodi users can all contribute and help each other out should be implemented. It's the only way to stop fragmentation of all the different Kodi builds. Then all companies, users and Kodi Team members that participate should all be treated with respect and there should be no biased towards or against any company for any constructive ideas or discussions. All companies that participate and bring new ideas and feedback to the table shouldn't just be disregarded because 1 or 2 people disagree with them, a common ground must be found for all.
If a new chip company is started today and they want to support Kodi, they won't even know who to contact at Kodi to begin with.
It must be made clearer and there should be better communication channels and information provided.
(2016-03-18, 19:19)mo123 Wrote: If only some Kodi developers or volunteers can put a wiki or guides together of how all the standard code and API's should look like with previous examples also or where to find them for Android then I think it would be much easier for the chip companies to get guidance to follow the correct route to implement their support for Kodi and make their code compatible with all the correct API's.

https://developer.android.com/guide/index.html
I'm guessing this was meant to be in reply to the other posts that got split off?

Those other chip companies know, they just don't care. Proper support means time and money. It's a different culture, where QA almost doesn't exist.
Got to laugh at half the shit I am reading here... I was active when the one and only Spiff was moderating the forum and knocking up patches for fun! You guys that are complaining about the current mods need to pull that silver spoon out your mouth! (Spiff would have shoved it up your arse)

That is my 2 cents as well Smile

Try to find a compromise guys no value in everyone taking different paths especially as your did have a bro-mance at some point Smile

I could always sweet talk the old generation with a virtual beer Smile or crate...
Compromise would be nice, but it takes both sides to agree to one :)
(2016-03-18, 20:04)Ned Scott Wrote: Compromise would be nice, but it takes both sides to agree to one Smile

Absolutely! Just waiting on the other ;-)
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3