Bug Kodi still not able to stay on secondary monitor (playing video)
(2016-01-06, 19:53)_novalis Wrote: Hi there,
I know this has been an issue for years now and I can't believe it still is...

I'd like to have Kodi run fullscreen on my secondary monitor, which is connected via HDMI to a beamer. I'd also like to switch between window and fullscreen mode . But only on the secondary screen. Once I put there, it should stay there. Is that too much to ask? It seems so.

The switching (backslash key on Windows) between fullscreen and window mode always results in a sort of stopover at the primary monitor. And it only happens in video playback mode.

for example:
I start Kodi. It appears on the primary monitor (by default. No way to change that either) in window mode. I can live with that.
I drag Kodi to my secondary monitor. I start a video. I hit backslash. Now Kodi is fullscreen on the primary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in window mode on primary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in fullscreen mode on secondary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in window mode on secondary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in fullscreen mode on primary monitor. And so forth.

If no video is playing, behaviour is as expected. Switching between fullscreen and window mode happens on the secondary monitor.

Settings->System->Video-Hardware->Use Fullsceen window is on
Switching that to off (using real fullscreen) makes things even worse. Don't want to go into detail here.

Anyone to confirm this behaviour?

Thanks,
novalis

Hi novalis,

I have the exact same problem and don't know how to fix it. you're most certainly not the only one with it. if you find a solution please let me know as i'm struggling and have to run it in windowed mode in order to watch on my secondary monitor(which is my TV). Perhaps it's because the TV runs at 60HZ and monitor at 100HZ? or maybe it's the resolution difference. I'm not exactly sure. Thanks for your post and good luck. Cheers

EDIT: the way i fixed it was I went to settings->Video output-> full screen#2 . As for the task bar i simply took it off my second monitor and it seems to be working except after restart the settings don't stick. It always seems to default to windowed mode inside of kodi. Any input will be greatly appreciated.Also I was wondering if I can make it open on my second screen by default? seems like there could be a simple fix that i'm missing perhaps. Cheers
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just upgraded from Kodi 15 to Kodi 16, and now my setup it's not working properly.
I've got two monitors, and always played Kodi on my secondary monitor. Now it starts correctly, but whenever I play something in fullscreen, it always switches to the first monitor.

It never did that, so I assume it's a bug in Kodi 16. I really would like to play in fullscreen, and not in windowed mode, so for the moment that's not a solution I'm interested in.

If it's any help, my primary monitor is 144hz, and the 2nd 60hz.

EDIT: Sadly I went back to Kodi 15.2, which works perfectly.
You could investigate Kyrpton, it has a new feature 'full screen window', try it in portable mode, before a full commit. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
This kinda made me angry, too. Kodi would loose focus when any other program was used and Kodi will minimize
Using windows Screen Resolution from desktop right click or Display Control Panel --> Screen Resolution:
Extend desktop, make the the "main display" the screen you do NOT want to watch Kodi on
With Kodi running go to System - Settings - Video Output.
Select the option Use Fullscreen Window.
Assuming Kodi is running on "main display" use the key combination Shift+Win+[left arrow or right arrow] to throw Kodi to the other monitor
Hopes this helps someone else who just wants to watch Kodi and play Farmville2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi still not able to stay on secondary monitor (playing video)1