Android scapegoat
Bloody Sugar Powered Android Robots- I blame Google ! Wink

And if I hadn't stepped on that butterfly back in the 80's the world would be a better place.

The thing is, no one really knows what things would look like now if Kodi hadn't been developed for Android. Would the "explosion" of devices used for piracy still happened at the scale that it did? Would people selling/buying dual boot systems or go for a 2 device solution? Maybe, maybe not, who could say for sure (maybe once I get my alternate reality machine up and running I can tell you.) Smile But my guess is that you would only have slowed things down and at some point you would still have to deal with the same scale that you see now.

But one thing is for sure, pirates are going to pirate and freeloaders are going to freeload. If people want to do something they will find a way to do it and there will always be other people who will take advantage of those people wanting to do it.

This notion though that Android is somehow to blame, even partially, is about as silly as those that blame Kodi itself. I lost count of the number of times that I've heard "Kodi may not be developed for streaming pirated material, but that's what everybody uses it for" or "if the Kodi devs actually cared about Kodi being used for piracy they would do more to stop it from being used that way". That kind of nonsensical thought, and the people that push it, is what's caused the "explosion" not what platform Kodi is installed on.

As for all this damaging Kodi's reputation (and just going from memory on what has been said on the KordKutters vids), it's my understanding that the "Team" has been able to work with the likes of Nvidia, Intel, Dell (Alienware) & Google. So maybe Kodi has gotten a black-eye in some corners, but it also seems that some doors have been opened too, and some of that may be due to having an Android port.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
If there were a version of MrMC for Android which did not allow use of python addons i would use that - i'm fed up of everyone assuming that because you use Kodi you are a pirate. (IMO the kodi brand has a worse rep than xbmc ever had for piracy unfortunately - i thought a lot of the drive to move away from xbmc was dissociate the brand from piracy, that has definitely failed)
I'll start a poll over in MrMC forums and then we can gauge the interest Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
IMO the problem is not about piracy or addons but more how Kodi is positioned in the market and what it want to reach.

Kodi is the sum of a lot of things and the result of an not really managed at first product. (Not a critic, but tons of things were added with time).

Currently addons are wonderful and unlock the power of Kodi as well as skins. This is what users comes for. (Management of the media could be one, but the lack of server part is killing this a little, today everyone have a smartphone, an upnp device like tv somewhere, and a computer).

Good player quality is important and Kodi is great, but on each platforms there's players with at least the same quality, so not really a point, what should be the point is that the player is multi devices and could be rendering point all over the house and outside but would require a server part.

Actually it's maybe a little too easy to install external repository and the thread that talked about adding big warnings about those could help a bit, so that users think before directly using them.

Anyway as I said the question is what is the target of Kodi, and once it's defined push the project so that users talks about it for that target and not for the users that use the product out of it.

Since currently it's more or less advertised as a media center platform that can play almost anything. Users retain that it can play pirated content since it's part of the message. (The about page should talk about that)

And by listening to user needs that are not filled yet, maybe the correct target can be defined. Why does Emby or Plex are successful ? But yet those users do want to use their backend with Kodi front end ? Lot's of questions IMO Wink

But some answers can be found with just some analysis with enough perspective.
(2016-01-08, 17:19)MrMC Wrote: I'll start a poll over in MrMC forums and then we can gauge the interest Smile

Btw I like this on your forum Big Grin

Quote:1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again
(2016-01-08, 17:33)Tolriq Wrote: I

Actually it's maybe a little too easy to install external repository and the thread that talked about adding big warnings about those could help a bit, so that users think before directly using them.

Hmmm, this. This would be a solution to put a damper on these shitty addons filled with pirated crapware. Remove the ability to install any 3rd party repository from Kodi or addons by manual installation.
Have 2 repositories, 2 official ones i mean, controlled by Team-Kodi. One being the one that exists today, where stable skins and addons are kept. The other one being a beta-testing repository, for WIP skins\addons that are in alpha-beta stage, with a explicit warning for end-users that they are unstable and not fully certified by the Team. There new skins and addon can be submitted , even if they are not fully functional.

I see this as a middle-ground solution for the situation, somewhere between nuking the entire Python addon facilities like what davilla did in MrMC and the current situation.
(2016-01-07, 00:43)Soulbind Wrote: The only way to eliminate this is to drop Python and the Addons completely , but that means dropping the hard work of dozens of devs and hundreds of (non-parasites) Python coders, also limiting Kodi to local playback (which is what i use it for anyway, but that`s just my personal usage).

The more I learn about Kodi the more I wonder the same thing. Addons started as a great idea but it's the addons that have created the piracy explosion. The OS has nothing to do with this, as others have said, users would use whatever OS is available.
There is a feature request discussion here about adding a warning for 3rd party repos/addons.
(2016-01-08, 21:47)Soulbind Wrote: Hmmm, this. This would be a solution to put a damper on these shitty addons filled with pirated crapware. Remove the ability to install any 3rd party repository from Kodi or addons by manual installation.
Great idea.
Make kodi shit to discourage piracy.

<thumbs up>
(2016-01-08, 23:10)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 21:47)Soulbind Wrote: Hmmm, this. This would be a solution to put a damper on these shitty addons filled with pirated crapware. Remove the ability to install any 3rd party repository from Kodi or addons by manual installation.
Great idea.
Make kodi shit to discourage piracy.

<thumbs up>

How in the world would that make kodi shit? The official repos would still be there, and anybody wanting to promote their addon\s would do it through the official channels. Win-win for everybody. Or maybe you didn't read my entire post, just the part you quoted.
No, I read it. A nice, locked-down controlled safe environment. Won't someone think of the kittens?
And when I want to edit a skin, or run my own scripts, or adapt an add-on to suit my needs, I guess I'll just submit it here so team kodi can decide whether it's worthy.
Meanwhile the nasty pirate chappies will just go away - they wouldn't dream of continuing to use older builds or, heaven forbid, changing the code.
(2016-01-08, 23:24)trogggy Wrote: No, I read it. A nice, locked-down controlled safe environment. Won't someone think of the kittens?
And when I want to edit a skin, or run my own scripts, or adapt an add-on to suit my needs, I guess I'll just submit it here so team kodi can decide whether it's worthy.
Meanwhile the nasty pirate chappies will just go away - they wouldn't dream of continuing to use older builds or, heaven forbid, changing the code.

Did you see the light? I can remember a lot of other posts on other forums where you liked them
(2016-01-08, 23:37)misa Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 23:24)trogggy Wrote: No, I read it. A nice, locked-down controlled safe environment. Won't someone think of the kittens?

Did you see the light? I can remember a lot of other posts on other forums where you liked them

What?
I can see the logic about having a warning over 3rd party repositories but then it would discourage the less tech savvy people from using legitimate addons allowed on these very forums that aren't in the Kodi repositories.

For example I use the ESPN College Player addon every weekend during the college football season, this makes a service I pay for and that requires my legitimate login a far better audio/visual experience through Kodi than the web service ESPN serve up.
These ones are in the Kodi repositories but I could say the same for the excellent iplayerwww and NBC Sports Live Extra addons, both are far better viewed through Kodi than their app or web based official versions.

I'm not a saint and am not going to pretend to not having used piracy addons in the past but its a long time since I did, imho these days they are all pretty poor and bug infested with damn poor quality on their streams,
my hope is that the team here do not go down the route of getting rid of addons and sooner rather than later one of the media companies will start working with you to supply a better service to their paying customers through Kodi and convert the cord cutting generation into paying what is still small sums compared to TV subs for reliable quality streams instead of free P.O.S. services that a vocal minority of users would lead people to believe is all Kodi is good for.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android scapegoat0