Improved UI
hello. i really enjoy using xbmc, it's now my default dash. the software is great and best of all, it's free.

it's always been a pain having to use tv-out software on the pc. it's pretty far from user-friendly and whilst in tv mode the computer can't be used for anything else (there is a workaround but is it really that convenient?). anyway that’s why i like the xbox so much. it’s really really really user-friendly, thanks to xbmc of course. at last, the whole family (no matter how computer literate you are) can use and appreciate a digital entertainment center =)

but i'm amazed at how much the user interface of the xbmc software is similar to that of, shall we say, the “traditional” computer look and feel. this is what bothers me. does the user for example always need to have the options/settings on screen, visible at all times? does the user really need to be able to change the view setting, stack/unstack, have a dvd option presented 24/7?
these options/settings use 1/4 of the screen area (at least on my 28", non-widescreen) which is a bit too much for something that hardly gets used after a while. i did mess about with these in the beginning but now i hardly touch them (music being the exception). well actually, i do still mess about with the "switch view" option in video but that’s just because i use folders and there is no other way to navigate up/down levels whilst in certain (most) modes. this might be fixed now though i'm using 2004-03-09.

so, i think the best way to go would be to have a dedicated screen area for doing exactly what it is we want to do. to browse/view titles. am i wrong?

i’m not saying get rip of the left side menu altogether, just hide it until a certain button/combo is pressed. hey what about the remote controll button called menu? Wink

i would be happy to throw together a mock-up for how the ui could be presented in a more efficient way (focus on browsing/viewing titles) but i wouldn’t want to step on any big toes =) so i’ll just let you chew on my suggestion for a while, let me know what you think. again, great piece of software thanks!

ps. is there a way (edit .xml file) to configure "view" settings for specific folders? i want to get rid or the [..] icon in the root dir. the [..] only shows the first time i enter the video section, the root is default home dir for my videos. this probably doesn't make sense to you but i thought i'd ask anyway.
i agree to all of the above. i think you could get rid of the left menu altogether.
i like the idea of having the option to tuck away the more technical aspects (while being able to show them at will), but as for your ps, see my thread here: http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....2;st=15

it basically suggests a special file called folder.prf to control all display aspects of the current folder.
--jaga
--jaga
(jaga @ april 04 2004,21:49 Wrote:http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....2;st=15

it basically suggests a special file called folder.prf to control all display aspects of the current folder.
nice jaga thanks i'll give this a go.
give this a go?
--jaga
--jaga
everyone has other preferences or ideas.
there is no layout which is perfect for everyone.
i agree that the stack option should be better in the general-settings-menu, but it's only my opinion.
i deleted the normal slideshow-button in my hifi-skin, because r.slideshow does all i want.

also moving buttons or graphics would be nice, but i guess it's impossible or real hard to skin.

>xbmc software is similar to that of, shall we say, the “traditional” computer look and feel.
>just hide it until a certain button/combo is pressed

something like xp hiding none used programs ?

another combo for ir/gamepad for showing menus/settings ?

i think something like this didn't make it easier for noobs to use xbmc.
(onkel bouncy @ april 05 2004,16:08 Wrote:something like xp hiding none used programs ? another combo for ir/gamepad for showing menus/settings ? i think something like this didn't make it easier for noobs to use xbmc.
if we shall go into the details.... obviously a button/combo for hiding the main navigation (settings/options) to enable more space for browsing titles should not be enabled by default! only a fool would suggest otherwise, i know a little something about usability =)

it should be well hidden (must edit .xml) and there for only used by those who aren't "new" to xbmc. this way the user experience for newbies is as before, but the user experience for us non-newbies is highly improved!

there is too much crap on screen that doesn't have to be there on a regular basis. surely you must agree. the xbmc should be designed to fit the masses, not just newbies.

anyway, i'm not pointing any fingers (only wankers do that) i'm just thinking out loud. xbmc rules!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improved UI0