OS X Apple Remote Quits Responding
I have a debug covering the remote becoming unresponsive.

Basically, the sequence is wait for problem (remote becoming unresponsive) - try keyboard - try remote - quit

Between 19:57:41 and 19:57:56 i tried the remote and immediately prior to 19:57:40

Here is an sequence:

Remote unresponsive
19:57:40 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: OnKey: space (0xf020) pressed, action is Pause
19:57:40 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnPlay from xbmc
19:57:41 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: OnKey: space (0xf020) pressed, action is Pause
19:57:41 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnPause from xbmc
Remote unresponsive
19:57:56 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: OnKey: 0 (0xf200) pressed, action is
19:57:59 T:140735213400064 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnQuit from xbmc

For reference here is the debug settings I used:

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
<debug>
<extralogging>true</extralogging>
<setextraloglevel>64,2048,32768</setextraloglevel>
<showloginfo>false</showloginfo> <!-- Change this to "false" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</debug>

EDIT - Can anyone advise how to gather a good debug for the dev's here? Memphiz ? Others ? Should I "sample" a particular running process next time it happens for example ?
I have the same problem too... The osx updates have not solved: in my Mac Mini 2012 upgraded to OSX El Capitan, Kodi 16.0 sporadically loses control of the Apple Remote.
All the proposed solutions have not solved my problem, the only solution is to exit Kodi, toggling the "Disable remote control infrared receiver" off and back on again or a reboot.
:/
Anyone know how we should get a decent debug or set of samples for the devs ?
Any updates on this? This is still ongoing for me.
Krypton latest nightly is better - stops responding but at a lower frequency

I can see why as it is a time consuming and difficult thing to debug and hard for a Dev to find time and energy and to prioritize over other issues

I am pretty sure it is a kodi issue as VLC has native apple remote support and does not show the dropouts or intermittent iTunes dropouts. Also mostly when the problem occurs, iTunes is still responsive to the apple remote once kodi has been quit

Try delayed start and other things mentioned in various posts - some do seem to help

I am also a fan of the rcd patch which stops iTunes auto launching - I will put it back on now there is an El cap version and advise.
Same issue here. Remote will be fine for a few days, then it will stop working randomly. Only a reboot will fix it.

Once it happens I it will often re-occur a few more times in quick succession (say 15min and it will stop working again). Then it will be fine again for a few days. Really odd stuff.

Almost bought a new mac mini until I came across this thread as I had just replaced the HDD with an SSD drive and thought I must of damanged something during the upgrade.

Fix would be awesome as love using Kodi.
Macbook Pro 13 last non retina, silver apple remote, el capitan

Had exactly the same problem for months... just installed "Candelair" from IOSPIRIT (free).
https://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/

It is working well until now, remote does work faster and with more precision. I had a problem with switching channels via rstp. (Kodi crashed) It´s gone, too!
Has anyone here had any luck with this? I had some decent results by applying mrlukin's fix. (Posted on 2016-02-22 03:04) The fix is a bandaid, mind you. If the remote stops working, you have to wait several seconds before it'll reset the IR controller.

Yesterday was a real battle with the remote for some reason. Had to go through several troubleshooting steps before the remote stabilized. (Disable/re-enable the remote in System Preferences, reboot, install updates, clear NVRAM, etc)

MacOS Sierra is due in a few months. I wonder if it'll be an improvement.
The apple remote code was re-factored for other reasons lately and is much better in the latest nightlies - it does still die but a lot less often - I also checked all possible sources of interference and tried a range of changes to my plasma - if you search plasma and IR interference you get a lot of hits ..
I have never had any issues with the remote in previous XBMC/Kodi versions. But with the 17.0 alphas and nightlies I'm having major issues with the Apple remote. It doesn't respond and I get the OS X volume overlay if I press Up/Down.

I've tried to reboot the computer, restart Kodi, turn the remove on/off in OS X Settings, install Candelair. Nothing works. I've only managed to get it to work once in 17.0, this was after a Kodi restart and I toggled the remote on/off in the Kodi settings. But I haven't been able to activate the remote by reproducing the same steps.

If I switch to Kodi 16.x the Apple remote works flawless without any other steps than starting Kodi, if I go back to Kodi 17.x the remote doesn't work. So it's this is definitely a Kodi 17.x issue I'm having.

Edit: I'll create a new thread for my issue, since it doesn't work to begin with and looks like a Kodi 17.x issue only.
Is Kodi set to launch at boot/login ?

If so try without this and/or without "start on menu press".
(2016-08-15, 09:39)Gigantur Wrote: Is Kodi set to launch at boot/login ?

If so try without this and/or without "start on menu press".

No. That makes no difference. After several OS X and KODI major version upgrades, the problem still hasn't gone away. Toggling the IR off and back on seems to be the only reliable way to get it working again. I have two MAC MINIs paired with their own Apple Remotes and they both have the same problem. It didn't start happening on the second one until I upgraded it to Sierra.

Not sure if this is related to the way KODI interfaces with the OS, but I find it interesting that the KODI team haven't responded to this issue whatsoever.
What should i say about this? I don't have any ir remotes to begin with. Its not my use case and just from staring on the code i didn't spot anything wrong. I even updated the interface library to latest at one point. Not sure what else you expect.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I also stated at one point that someone should grep the system log for "XBMCHelper" when the issue is present and post the resulting log. Even there was not much response and i didn't see anything in those logs too.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-11-05, 12:51)Memphiz Wrote: What should i say about this? I don't have any ir remotes to begin with. Its not my use case and just from staring on the code i didn't spot anything wrong. I even updated the interface library to latest at one point. Not sure what else you expect.

I can respect that. Thanks for posting that you checked into it. I mentioned this quite a while back about the problem and got no response. I appreciate you taking the time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote Quits Responding0