Multiple WiFi adapters
Hi,
I'm running OpenElec 6.0.0 (Kodi 15.2) on a RaspberryPi 2. I have several WiFi adapters but my focus is on those:
(1) Edimax EW-7811UN (Manufacturer: Realtek; driver rtl8192cu)
(2) LP-Link (Model BL-LW05-SR1; Manufacturer: Ralink; driver rt2800usb)
(3) TP-Link TL-WN722N (Manufacturer: ATHEROS; driver ath9k_htc) Model

All adapters work fine separately to connect to a WiFi router.
(1) does not work as Access Point (neither under OSMC)
(2) does work as AP under OSMC (under OpenELEC GUI setting is 'flickering').
(3) does work as AP under OSMC (under OpenELEC GUI setting is 'flickering').

I want to operate 2 at the same time under OpenELEC:
(1) to connect to a local router, (2) (or (3)) to open an AP.
The point is: the OpenElec settings does not allow to specify which adapter to use for what purpose. If I switch on "Enable 'tethered' Wireless Access Point" it stays for about 2 seconds before going off automatically again without any message (operation of adapter (2) alone gives me the SSID and Passphrase options).

Does anyone know a way how to explicitly specify which adapter to use for which reason?
And how to get (2) or (3) 'stable' working under OpenELEC ? OSMC is quite 'slow'.
Eg. (1) for simple wireless network access and (2) for "Enabled 'tethered' Wireless Access Point".

Note:
I want to have (2) as AP for my Smartphone Remote App to control Kodi when a TV does not support HDMI-CEC.
I do not necessarily need a network 'forwarding' over (1).

Any help will be appreciated
Mmmhh ... it seems ... no ideas ?
I am guessing you want this for when you travel and find a hotel TV that doesn't support CEC. If this is a home situation, you could just connect both the Pi 2 and smartphone to the access point to control it.

I can't help with the PI 2 as an AP, but a simpler way for hotel TVs is just carry a small remote and a Flirc. The bright side of this is that you wouldn't have to be worried about configuration issues at the hotel and having no remote.
Or if you prefer to home brew, with a few wires and an IR sensor plus an old remote you can add your own via the GPIO pins. Search "gpio remote" for tutorial examples, such as the one below.

https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-r...r/overview

I got my components from CPC and it cost a couple of quid. Runs beautifully on my Pi zero, and leaves the data USB port free for a drive.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you guys for your help.
I know the possibilities about infrared control, but it is not an option for me.
I wanted to know if there are possibilities to control multiple wifi adapters in Kodi and how...
I've never heard of anyone doing so.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-17, 11:35)DannyBoyKN Wrote: Thank you guys for your help.
I know the possibilities about infrared control, but it is not an option for me.
I wanted to know if there are possibilities to control multiple wifi adapters in Kodi and how...

It's possible with connmanctl, and then editing your config to remove the preferredtechnology setting. The only issue is that ConnMan only connects to the first preferred technology on reboot, so you would have to manually reconnect each time.
Thanks, I'll take a look at connmanctl.
Can you point me to any links/help/manuals, etc. ?
Otherwise I'll search myself

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple WiFi adapters0