Bug [Music bug] How to define, which image is used as cover art for an album?
I'm probably missing something but I don't even understand why you'd want multiple images embedded in your files, surely for consistency you want the same image in both itunes and Kodi so just have a single cover embedded Huh
I guess to keep front and back covers especially if not keeping the CD?

Kodi does need some improving over this - attempts to keep multiple images but gets it wrong. But no, not going to happen in Jarvis as far as I can see.
@zag Again, Plex manages to detect the correct image in those cases. So it seems to be possible to solve it. But if you provide more details what exactly iTunes is doing wrong here, I'll be happy to report that back to apple.

@jjd-uk: Well as a music lover you do not only want the cover. You want the full thing. Back when CDs where a thing, there used to be booklets Wink and sometimes those had incredibly nice information.

There's another workaround: save booklets as PDF and add that to iTunes in the according album. But having a ton of PDFs in the music library doesn't really seem like the best solution to this problem. Then I discovered, iTunes allowed having several images as covers and even allowing to specify which exact image would be the "main cover" image.

Hope this puts some perspective into why this is important and not an edge case, but a case any music collector / lover / user will run into.
(2016-02-10, 14:10)Syncopation Wrote: @jjd-uk: Well as a music lover you do not only want the cover. You want the full thing. Back when CDs where a thing, there used to be booklets Wink and sometimes those had incredibly nice information.

Ok that I can understand.

Would you mind answering my question "Which image shows when you click on a file in iTunes and do Get Info then in Summary tab should be the cover image?"

Just curious what itunes itself see as the default cover contained in the files.
jjd-uk: not sure I completely understand this question. Do you mean select a track in iTunes, right click on track, select "Show in finder" and are then asking which image is shown in OS X finder.app? If so, I just created a screenshot showing that (sticking to the previous album used as example for this thread). It is the image which is the most left when adding more than one image under the "cover" tab when editing files in iTunes. Also see post #1 in this thread.

No this

watch gallery
Are you using the latest version of iTunes? If yes, the win and osx versions do differ. As can be seen in post #1 from this thread, this is how iTunes displayes the cover and it also indicates which cover is used to be displayed when playing a track from the album in question. The view of the second screenshot you posted does not exist in that form on osx. Neither the "Details" nor the "File" tab (when editing album files) do show a cover at all. There's a dedicated tab for that as shown in the first post.

If I am still missing something do let me know (:
Further testing: found a metadata editor which allows to set images to "Front Cover". Since iTunes fails to correctly set that tag for the image used as front cover I did so manually.

I hoped Kodi might now pick up the correct image as cover image. Removed artist files in question, clean music library (artist now gone) re-add artist files. And it seems, that worked.

But for the album discussed in this thread, it did not. So maybe it just worked by chance.

@DaveBlake: Do you have more detailed info on if this should work? It would at least be a workaround. And if images are set as "cover image" kodi should pick up on them as expected.

Can you confirm this is working / not working as expected?
(2016-02-26, 12:32)Syncopation Wrote: @DaveBlake: Do you have more detailed info on if this should work? It would at least be a workaround. And if images are set as "cover image" kodi should pick up on them as expected.

Can you confirm this is working / not working as expected?

There are 2 bits of code in TagLoaderTagLib.cpp

Code:
else if (it->first == "APIC")
      // Loop through all pictures and store the frame pointers for the picture types we want
      for (ID3v2::FrameList::ConstIterator pi = it->second.begin(); pi != it->second.end(); ++pi)
      {
        ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame *pictureFrame = dynamic_cast<ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame *> (*pi);
        if (!pictureFrame) continue;

if      (pictureFrame->type() == ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame::FrontCover) pictures[0] = pictureFrame;
        else if (pictureFrame->type() == ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame::Other)      pictures[1] = pictureFrame;
        else if (pi == it->second.begin())                                        pictures[2] = pictureFrame;
      }

Code:
// Process the extracted picture frames; 0 = CoverArt, 1 = Other, 2 = First Found picture
  for (int i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
    if (pictures[i])
    {
      std::string  mime =            pictures[i]->mimeType().to8Bit(true);
      TagLib::uint size =            pictures[i]->picture().size();
      tag.SetCoverArtInfo(size, mime);
      if (art)
        art->set((const uint8_t*)pictures[i]->picture().data(), size, mime);

// Stop after we find the first picture for now.
      break;
    }

That may or may not help you understand what is happening as well as I do! What happens isn't random, even if it feels like it, but clearly it needs some improvement.

If only one image is tagged as FrontCover then Kodi should (looking at the code) take that as the cover art image.
(2016-02-26, 17:19)DaveBlake Wrote: If only one image is tagged as FrontCover then Kodi should (looking at the code) take that as the cover art image.

Hmm. So in my case where only one image is tagged as "FrontCover" and another as "other" it is not working. Not sure if this would match the case you mean, where it should be working.
Tagged as you say then it should be working. If you would like to send me the new file I will have a look and see if I can tell what isn't happening and why. But I may be a while, I'm rebuilding at the moment and it is taking forever.
file sent
Testing with that file I get the front cover (image with face) as the album and song thumbnail as expected. I was using master (Krypton) but the code of this has not changed since Jarvis. You are getting the other image? I can not see why your edited image tags (to have a "frontcover") would work for other files but not this one. Sorry.
Hey @DaveBlake, thanks for testing. The funny thing is, if I remove the album in question from my music library, clean the music section via settings (entry gone) and re-add it + update library: once the album shows again, it shows with the second image (the flash) and not the image set as front cover (the one with the face). This is reproducible.
I really don't see how or why that would happen, sorry. Just one album too, very odd. But given that this area needs some attention anyway I am not going to get too hung up on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Music bug] How to define, which image is used as cover art for an album?0