Force Deinterlacing for Mpeg 2 1080i files
Is there a way to specify the interlacing options based on codec and resolution?

Basically it appears with the Auto option that deinterlacing isn't happening (debug reports 30FPS with auto, same with off, with it on I get 60FPS).
It will remember my selection for the each live channel and also for all my local media, problem is I don't really want to set it for all my local media, specifically my PVR recordings since they are added to the frequently.
Since the only thing I have that requires deinterlacing would be stuff encoded in Mpeg2 at either 480 or 1080 vertical resolution, if I could specify a way to set just files that fall under that criteria to be force deinterlaced and then I could set it for off for everything else.

Log, switched from On to Auto to Off.

http://pastebin.com/Ay1jiG1Q

I assume I want something like this:

<rule name="deinterlacing rule" videoresolution="480|1080" videocodec="Mpeg2" video.deinterlacemode="6" />
Don't cut and paste Logs, we have no idea what Hardware platform you are running.

If it is an AMLogic platform running hardware mpeg decoding (am-mpeg2), all deinterlacing is done in Hardware from the VPU and Kodi has no influence whatsoever over this process. These Auto/On/Off options swill have no effect whatsoever.

It's a Nexus Player (running 16rc1, but I had the same issues with 15.2), I cut and pasted it because there was about 10 minutes (3500 lines) of stuff before hand that was unrelated.

The Auto/On/Off does have an effect, Off turns it off and On turns it on, its just that the Auto setting doesn't appear to pick up the interlaced flag on the video stream, does it regardless of if its a live TV stream from the backend, streaming source or locally ripped source.

Started fresh with a clean install and here is the complete log (hopefully that way it isn't full or irrelevant info).
Issue still persists, 2 additional pieces of information:
1. Running Kodi on my laptop I do not have this information, the interlaced flags appear trigger the correct response and leaving it on an auto setting correctly deinterlaces 1080i channels while leaving 720P ones alone, I think this rules out the backend or anything there, though like I mentioned previously it does it with all interlaced content regardless of source.
2. When running with the main menu gui overlaid over the TV feed I seem to get 60 FPS content, but I think this because the NP is trying to output the gui at 60FPS since changing the interlace options have no effect on that.

Full log:
http://xbmclogs.com/pkj3ay1pa

Line 854 was where I pulled up the OSD video settings menu, it was defaulted to Auto only playing at 30 FPS, line 875 switched it to Off (no change in FPS), line 898 was switching to On (FPS change to 60, and video quality improves), line 923 was setting back to Auto (FPS back to 30 and image quality worsens). Line 930 stopping the stream.
Some more trouble shooting this evening:
If I disable HW acceleration, everything works as normal (Auto deinterlaces only 1080i/480i channels, off turns it off and on turn it on for all), as long as I use bob or inverted bob, if I use software blend, I get the same issue with interlaced content only being deinterlaced with the On setting not auto.
You could try to force 60fps like the nVIDIA Shield guys do for mpeg2:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2199639

I would suggest an advancedsettings.xml plain text file by saved to a usb stick and installed using Kodi's file manager:
Something like this...
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <adjustrefreshrate>
      <override>
        <fpsmin>29.96</fpsmin>
        <fpsmax>30.01</fpsmax>
        <refreshmin>59.99</refreshmin>
        <refreshmax>60.01</refreshmax>
      </override>
    </adjustrefreshrate>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Are you viewing 25fps or 29.97fps mpeg2 TV. Run some recorded stuff through the Mediainfo PC/OSX program to see the exact video details, the log shows conflicting reports.

The live TV would be 29.97fps, I do have some local content that is 25fps interlaced but that is all SD and isn't of huge concern, the PVR recordings are the main concern, since I play back recordings from both 1080i and 720p sources and don't want to have to set the deinterlace method for each one every time I record something new.

Thank you for that advancedsettings,xml, I tried that and it made no difference, behavior was identical to before (Auto=No DI, Off=No DI, On= DI with HW acceleration).

Here is the output from Mediainfo:
http://pastebin.com/RE3vTVZN
Any thoughts/help on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Force Deinterlacing for Mpeg 2 1080i files0