do you actually need a receiver?
I am trying to hook up my laptop to my TV with Kodi but all I see is my computer screen on the tv. Do I need a receiver for this to work properly? Someone told me all I needed is an HDMI cable. Can someone please clarify. Thank you
No you don't need a receiver,
You only need it if you want to have HD audio (bitstream).
What you see on Blu-ray.
If you connect your laptop to your tv with HDMI it will show the picture in your tv.
Start Kodi and add your local movies and tv shows.
And you will be able to watch them on your tv.
Make sure you've the latest video drivers installed.
Depending on the specs of your laptop.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
If you have an HDMI port on your laptop, then it's likely the sound will be carried by that single cable in a digital format. (this audio must be supported by the laptop) Most TV's to-day have the capability to separate and play this digital audio. If your laptop doesn't have an HDMI port, then audio can be taken from the laptops analog audio ear port to the TV analog audio port which would eliminate the need for a separate audio amplifier. So in all it's hardware dependant on what you have.
Hello. But I want to do the reverse and watch TV on my computer. I can see my computer fine on the TV screen but that's not quite what I want. I want to view my tv programs on my computer. I've read a couple of places that I need a tuner but it's not very clear. And can it still work if I have a sky box. Do I need to add an extra display in the control panel on my computer for me to view tv screen? Thank you ?
Yes this is not really a Kodi issue, and yes you need a tuner card or dongle of some sort for your laptop to enable television on the laptop, it's a computer. OTH: utilizing Kodi and some of the streaming add-ons offer entertainment that some people would say is as enjoyable or even more so then that of conventional TV. If a tuner card or dongle is present and supported by the back-end of your laptop, Kodi will operate the front end.Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
do you actually need a receiver?0