Screensavers - with "song playing" info
Here is one thing that I think XMBC is sorely missing (or I am sorely missing how to enable this feature).

When a long playlist is running, its smart to use the screensaver to protect your TV. One thing I miss though, when running the screensaver, is the "Song Playing" information that you get in the Library, even the Main Menu views.

Could someone add this to some of the existing screensavers? I use the Stars one, but there are many others. Heck, IMO, ALL of them should be at least able to do this as a selectable option.

Here is what I am asking:

* Screensaver turns on as normal (whichever is selected)
* XBMC continually displays the album art of the current song playing, as well as "Track Name, Year Released, Track Number, etc. Basically, transplant this feature on the screensaver.
* The "Song Playing" information can move around on the screen. Either have it move continuously (this is probably hard to do), or simply have it reappear in a different position when the song changes.

This keeps the screensaver 100% functional, but allows people who might be over hanging out to see what song is playing while the screensaver is still active.

Is this already a feature? Does it sound like a good idea?

Thanks
Why not use the vis as screensaver?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

recoil Wrote:* The "Song Playing" information can move around on the screen. Either have it move continuously

I second this idea. I use, and love, the milkdrop vis, but what I'd really also like is a screen saver that is simply "now playing" info appearing on screen (drifting or reappearing in new locations). (a la some satellite tv systems that have music-only channels - they do exactly this).

rational: I can't keep the now playing info always on, for fear of burn-in, so when I've got to know what's playing I have to head across the room, find the remote, hit the button...you know, life is tough...

Visualisation is great for party time, but for every day, general listening, this would be a great addition for many people.
XBOX 1.6 w/ 160 GB hdd, Xecuter3, 80 mm quiet fan, Harmony remote
NAS NASLite 480 GB (so far)
A/V LG 42 inch plasma, component out 720p, digital audio out, 5.1 surround
jmarshall Wrote:Why not use the vis as screensaver?

Well, that's an option, but not a "fully functional" one as it relates to the request.

To me, a Visualization is really the same thing as a screen saver. It is something that moves around in the background so your TV doesn't get burn-in when you are listening to long Play Lists. Now I'll grant you, a Visualization reacts to the music being played, which is cool, but from a conceptual standpoint, I look at a Visualization as more screen saver options.

Now, a Visualization will flash the "Song Playing" info when a song starts. But after a few seconds it vanishes. Screen savers do not even have this option.

While having the "Song Playing" information disappear is a good thing, because otherwise you could burn-in this part of the TV if you aren't careful, leaving it up in the same place isn't what we are proposing.

* Have the "Song Playing" info stripe stay in one place for one song. Then when the song changes, move it to another part of the screen. The rest of the Visualization / Screen saver will keep the same areas from burning in --- as long as it moves around. Then when the song changes again, it disappears, and reappears somewhere else. But having that information ALWAYS visible would be very helpful for many people. Moving it around after a song change simply keeps the TVs from getting burn-in.

If this could be added to Visualizations, that would be a huge step. Personally, I'd also like to see it on the screen savers too, mainly because I prefer to use the "Stars" screen saver, and maybe other folks use them as well.

Maybe this could be a "Selectable" option in the GUI? Doesn't have to be a permanent change. Give people the choice.

Hope that clears up the difference between your suggestion, and what I was asking.

Thanks
Actually Lexicon's suggestion is similar, but taken a bit further. Looks like he is suggesting a screen saver that is maybe a black screen with the "Song Playing" info moving around --- either with song changes, or floating around the screen.

He is right, I've seen Cable and Satellite music channels do this. Its pretty cool.

I feel at the core though, our requests are pretty much the same thing.
I mite be missing something but why not press the white button when the visualisation is on (my screensaver). Also I honestly don't think there is that much danger of burn in with new TV's. I honestly have never heard of or seen any TV's that have had burn in from leaving the same thing on the screen for too long, my mates dad leaves his TV on 24/7 playing an old sega golf game and he has no problems. As far as I know the TV still works and has been on for a few yrs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screensavers - with "song playing" info0