HOWTO: Move Kodi's data to external memory on an Amazon Fire TV
This does not work on Android 6.01, try this one http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=297530
Installed the new version of adblink yesterday, and was able to easily (& successfully, so I thought) update SPMC to 16.5 and move the data files over to the SDcard. I used it last night, everything was working fine on my AFTV2.
This morning, trying to boot SPMC it no longer opens. Fist time it falls back to the AFTV home screen, 2nd try results in gray empty screen. Tried restarting AFTV several times, but SPMC will not work. Haven't done anything else to it but what was mentioned above. I've no idea what I can do to fix this...
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
I have the same problem too now!
(2017-01-05, 03:50)Shiva666 Wrote: I have the same problem too now!
Not sure what is going on with SPMC, but I finally gave up & tried installing Kodi 17rc using adblink. after first resetting my AFTV2 back to factory stock. Installed easily & is now 100% working. Was able to also move data folder over to external SD card also using adblink.
Can I just install into the external SD card first and then stick it into the Fire tv? Any ideas?
You can put the Kodi.apk on a thumbdrive, insert it /& boot up your AFTV, then use ES EXplorer or similar to install it from there. Don't think you can install it from the SD card
adblink works much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sghLZLVgKc
Good description; it works for me (FireTV 1. generation).

But: Because I was running into some mistakes/ missunderstandings I've decided write down these instructions.
  1. Create a xbmc_env.properties with your needed settings (xbmc.data=/usbdisk/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files)
  2. Copy your xbmc_env.properties" to "mnt/sdcard/xbmc_env.properties"
  3. Install KODI
  4. Start KODI and end the application (it's a good idea to use a taskmanager to check if KODI has stopped or not). This is needed because KODI have to recognize xbmc_env.properties
  5. Restart KODI again
  6. Copy your "advancedsettings.xml" to the profile folder using the filemanger included in KODI
  7. End KODI and use an other Filemanager like Total Commander to check the location of your advancedsettings.xml. Attention: The filemanager in KODI don't show hidden files so you can not use it!!!!
  8. If needed copy/move your files to the new location (/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi to /usbdisk/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi)
  9. Restart Kodi
Can someone write instructions which work for external SD Card and AFTV2 where OS > 5.2. I have tried this earlier and now again for more than 3 times and was never successful inspite of all steps being followed and verified.

Some confusions and questions:
1. Should the path be “/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files” or “/sdcard1/...” or “/mnt/sdcard2/...”?
2. Mounting is referred in some instructions but the sdcard is automatically mounted. So, do we have to mount again?
3. Es Explorer and other apps ask for permissions to folders and show the instructions to choose folder beforehand. Why cannot Kodi do that, so it would resolve these permissions once and for all?

Hope someone in Kodi Devs takes a note.

Thanks!
This did not work for me with a new install of latest version of Leia.
The xmbc_env.properties line I used was xbmc.data=/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
I copied this file to the root of my FireTV
I installed KODI using ADB
I used the FireTV Manage Applications to move Kodi to external storage
I updated my library
-------
All the data ended up on the root drive (0)
I moved this .kodi data manually to /sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
Kodi started but with no library (which I interpret as it was still pointing to the now empty drive 0)

Anyone see the flaw in my procedures?
Thx
(2020-07-14, 16:34)Longtime Collector Wrote: This did not work for me with a new install of latest version of Leia.
The xmbc_env.properties line I used was xbmc.data=/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
I copied this file to the root of my FireTV
I installed KODI using ADB
I used the FireTV Manage Applications to move Kodi to external storage
I updated my library
-------
All the data ended up on the root drive (0)
I moved this .kodi data manually to /sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
Kodi started but with no library (which I interpret as it was still pointing to the now empty drive 0)

Anyone see the flaw in my procedures?
Thx

The issue is to do with your path.  

I recommend that once you connect to AFT, you run adb shell to be able to browse your AFT and see where your device is actually mounted.

For me, my paths have been: (where ... is a continuation... but all before is the mount location of my external storage.
/storage/usbotg...  (using AFTStick with pass-through power OTG cable.  It was also available on my AFTv 1Gen)
/storage/sdcard1... (AFTv)

Note, the internal storage location for apps, etc.. is /storage/sdcard0...

AND FOR ANYONE WONDERING IF THIS WORKS ON LATEST FIRE TV (os 5.2.7.4) (AS OF 30 AUG 2020)... IT ABSOLUTELY DOES IF YOU ENSURE YOU KNOW THE PATHS FOR THE STORAGE DEVICE YOU WANT TO USE.
(2018-09-03, 00:15)ghanashyaml Wrote: Can someone write instructions which work for external SD Card and AFTV2 where OS > 5.2. I have tried this earlier and now again for more than 3 times and was never successful inspite of all steps being followed and verified.

Some confusions and questions:
1. Should the path be “/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files” or “/sdcard1/...” or “/mnt/sdcard2/...”?
2. Mounting is referred in some instructions but the sdcard is automatically mounted. So, do we have to mount again?
3. Es Explorer and other apps ask for permissions to folders and show the instructions to choose folder beforehand. Why cannot Kodi do that, so it would resolve these permissions once and for all?

Hope someone in Kodi Devs takes a note.

Thanks!

It all depends on where your AFT is mounting the external storage you are using.  Use "adb shell" (after you connect) to get a linux command prompt with which you can browse up/down the tree to see where your device is mounted AND the name it was given.  If I hadn't done that, I would never have seen that my external storage was given the name:  "usbotg".

Primer:  <content> (replace everything including the < and > with your content.  I am using :: to separate the command from description with description to right of :Smile
cd <directory name>  :: Change Directory
cd .. :: change directory by going up one level in the tree.
cd /  :: change directory to the root directory
cd <path/directory> :: change to a specific directory specifying every directory from root / to destination directory.
pwd   ::  lists the current path to your location in the directory tree
ls -a  :: list all files (including hidden . directories)
cp -R <path/source-directory>  <path/destination-directory>  :: copy all files of a directory and sub directories to new location
rm -rf <path/directory>  ::  CAUTION this will delete all files from the specified directory and below.  Use this to delete the files in your internal storage AFTER YOU HAVE CONFIRMED the successful move.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
So much thanks to arickmcniel for the response. It led me to the right answer.
I'll share my 'lessons learned' for others who follow.

* Total Commander and ES File Explorer utilities do NOT give you the path you need. Use ADB as per the recommendations
* To find my path I needed to search in the directory mnt:  ADB Shell ls -a /mnt/
* My secondary drive turned out to have the non-intuitive name of sdcard2
* So the one line in my xbmc_env.properties file became xbmc.data=/mnt/sdcard2/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
* I moved all my files in org.xbmc.kodi/files from the FireTV storage to my secondary storage.
* This DID NOT WORK the first time, despite clearing cache, forcing stop etc. It DID WORK after I changed the path in xbmc_env.properties to an incorrect path, and then changed it back.
* If you're unfamiliar with ADB, here's a good guide:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-t...evice.html

I freed up 2gb of storage on my firetv main storage.

Again special thanks to arickmcniel.
(2020-09-14, 18:59)Longtime Collector Wrote: Sorry for the delay in responding.

* Total Commander and ES File Explorer utilities do NOT give you the path you need. Use ADB as per the recommendations
* To find my path I needed to search in the directory mnt:  ADB Shell ls -a /mnt/
* So the one line in my xbmc_env.properties file became xbmc.data=/mnt/sdcard2/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
* I moved all my files in org.xbmc.kodi/files from the FireTV storage to my secondary storage.
* This DID NOT WORK the first time, despite clearing cache, forcing stop etc. It DID WORK after I changed the path in xbmc_env.properties to an incorrect path, and then changed it back.

Anyway to make a more noob guide to follow? Looking forward to doing this for a long time!
(2020-11-24, 04:29)derrgoo123 Wrote:
(2020-09-14, 18:59)Longtime Collector Wrote: Sorry for the delay in responding.

Anyway to make a more noob guide to follow? Looking forward to doing this for a long time!

I'm a bit of a noob myself so it's hard to see how I could make this any more nooby ... You really should take the time to learn about ADB (it allows you to do all the work on your PC and easily transfer the work to the FireTV). Link was provided. I have a series of pushes and pulls set up for the most common files that get customized.

Before doing this I suffered constant bugs with KODI apparently caused by insufficient memory (I had to constantly clear the Amazon FireTV cache), even though the FireTV showed lots of memory. After doing this I have been problem free, even with having added my enormous music library (which I highly recommend you consider if you haven't done this).

Here are some common ADB commands I use:

CONNECT TO YOUR FIRETV: (IP Address Unique to each device)
adb connect 192.168.1.155:5555

INSTALL UPGRADE: (I transfer between PC and FIRETV from my downloads folder)
adb install -r C:\Users\mypc\Downloads\kodi-18.8-Leia-arm64-v8a.apk

CAPTURE FIRETV SCREENSHOT
adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/image.png
adb pull /sdcard/image.png C:\Users\mypc\Downloads

CAPTURE FIRETV VIDEO
adb shell screenrecord /sdcard/screen.mp4
adb pull /sdcard/screen.mp4 C:\Users\mypc\Downloads

LIST FIRETV FILES ON PC
adb shell
ls -a
... and from within ADB shell you can use ...
cd to change directory just like on a PC
cat to view the contents of a particular file

PUSHING AND PULLING FILES PC-to-FireTV (examples)
adb pull /mnt/sdcard2/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/database/MyMusic72.db c:\Users\mypc\Downloads
adb push c:\Users\mypc\Downloads\songs.xml /mnt/sdcard2/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/library/music
Hey guys, looking for a bit of help.

I've used adblink to move my fire tv kodi data to a usb stick and now Kodi wont start.

It's created me an xbmc_env.properties file in /mnt/sdcard which contains the following line :

xbmc.data=/storage/336D-52D7/kodi_data/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/

And then if I go to the path listed above I can see a .kodi directory with all the stuff in it you'd expect.

but when I try and start kodi it now won't start up.

Any advice?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOWTO: Move Kodi's data to external memory on an Amazon Fire TV2