Anyone else stuck on an older release because it's just so damn good?
I am running XBMC Gotham.

I have ipcams, live ota tv recording through PVR plugin & hdhomerun, a huge collection of my kids' favorite movies, Pandora ... and everything runs just about perfectly. If this were a commercial offering through my cable TV provider I'd be thrilled even if I was paying a good amount per month. I love it.

That said, I am seeing Kodi releases and wondering if I should upgrade. Anyone else in this same position? Wife and kids use my setup with zero complaints. Should I keep on keeping on or is there a compelling reason to upgrade?
To be honest, no there's no reason. If it works it works.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yup, first rule of engineering - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only reason I could see is if you want the use of add-ons or suchlike which need newly introduced features (or you want to use newer features directly). But if the current install does all you need it to do and is reliable, I wouldn't touch it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-02-11, 16:44)DarrenHill Wrote: Yup, first rule of engineering - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That's actually incorrect. At least where i work Wink
If it ain't broke figure out why Tongue
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I wouldn't mess with a main setup if it was working 100%.
I run a lower no build on some devices just because that particular version fits the task best.
The good thing is, if you want to try a newer build (i do! ;-)) you can always set it up on other hardware you might have lying around and see how it goes.
(2016-02-11, 16:45)Martijn Wrote:
(2016-02-11, 16:44)DarrenHill Wrote: Yup, first rule of engineering - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That's actually incorrect. At least where i work Wink
If it ain't broke figure out why Tongue

My colleagues would probably say of me - "If it ain't broke, you haven't touched it yet..."
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
There's no real harm in upgrading. Backup your userdata folder somewhere. Check up the upgrade. If you don't like it, downgrade and copy your old userdata folder back.
I remember TheUni telling me (just a few months ago) he's used a Eden or Frodo build still and it doesn't crash for months. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone else stuck on an older release because it's just so damn good?0