Win Is Ember Necessary?
Afternoon,

A quick question - I started using Ember a little while back to add metadata and artwork to all of my movies and TV shows, and it works perfectly ... however, I've now added 'Watchdog', and 'Artwork Downloader' to Kodi itself so when I add new media to my library and start Kodi (Watchdog scans for new content so the on-screen message tells me) the new movies already have artwork, actors, fanart etc already displayed.

I guess Ember adds the artwork at a local level because when I look in the folder on my harddrive of new content not scraped with Ember there is no artwork saved in there so I guess the add-ons simply grab it online but don't save it?

What do you guys do in this situation?

Thanks.
G

Twitter: @GLloyd303

Pipo X9 | Windows 10.1
Deleted my original post as I came out with spurious dribble and in the end decided I cannot answer the question Rolleyes
Confusion is just a state of mind.
You are correct: Embers stores all scraped data directly in your library folder - thats the difference to the "Just use Kodi scraper" setup.
If you are happy with the setup you described and the fact that you don't have any control of the selected images used for fanart/poster/tv show than your solution is fine I guess. In fact when I first started out with XBMC I did the same and didn't use any mediamanager. A tool like Ember is typically used by more advanced Kodi/YAMJ Users who want full control of their artwork and NFO files. You can fine tune your genres, images, metadata and all video information. Another advantage is that you have everything stored (images/Nfos) with your movie libray on your NAS/storage - thats a nice backup in can there are problems with Kodi database... If you don't need any of that and are happy with the way Kodi scrapes your content and displays it and don't need all that micromanagment than you can go on with your solution.
And to add to Cocotus excellent answer: As I'm an old school geezer, I hate wrongly named files. So I just love the Bulk Renamer
Thanks @Cocotus - great answer and pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter. I wish I had the time to sort the perfect fan-art for all my movies, at some stage I will make the time I'm sure because the default fan-arts that are selected aren't always the best and the cover isn't always my favorite poster for the movie.

It does seem like a good idea to have it all stored on the drive too in case of a Kodi crash etc, and I am kind of possessive like that hence why I like to have stored media as opposed to streaming. I guess when I saw the fanart and metadata being automatically populated it made me ask the above, and it is a nice fail-safe for when I haven't had chance to do it manually via Ember. I'd say 90% of my collection has been done via Ember so far but I've let it slip over the past few weeks.

Back in the day I used to use MCM when I used Emby (cant remember what it was called when I used to use it!) and had a WD Live device - I spent the longest time organising all of my fan-art etc and become obsessive with it.

@Monk - A quick question for you sir? I too want to have all my files and folders named in a uniform fashion, can the Bulk Renamer do files AND folders? As I have already scraped 90% of my collection the art is named like the following;

The.Shawshank.Redemption.1994.1080p.BluRay.x264-discart
The.Shawshank.Redemption.1994.1080p.BluRay.x264-poster
etc ...

IF I change the file names (and folders hopefully) will the art follow and change automatically or do I need to scrape again?
I would actually like all of my files named as above so that I have the title, year, quality, format, codec - can you assist me what the correct string is for this?

Thank you guys for your help, and I apologise for all of the questions - I have read so many Wiki's and forum posts for answers but don't seem to be able to get it right.
G

Pipo X9 | Windows 10.1
(2016-02-12, 11:27)InkAndDrink303 Wrote: @Monk - A quick question for you sir? I too want to have all my files and folders named in a uniform fashion, can the Bulk Renamer do files AND folders? As I have already scraped 90% of my collection the art is named like the following;

The.Shawshank.Redemption.1994.1080p.BluRay.x264-discart
The.Shawshank.Redemption.1994.1080p.BluRay.x264-poster
etc ...

IF I change the file names (and folders hopefully) will the art follow and change automatically or do I need to scrape again?
I would actually like all of my files named as above so that I have the title, year, quality, format, codec - can you assist me what the correct string is for this?

Bulk Renamer does indeed rename folder and files. Just check the dialog, there is a schema for naming the folders and a schema for naming the files. Besides the schema you will find a ?-icon which shows you the available metadata to be used in the naming process. Your intention would be something like:

$X.$T.$Y.$R.{$S.}$H
Again, thank you for the response @Monk!
G

Pipo X9 | Windows 10.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Ember Necessary?0