make Smart Playlists use the "comment" field
Please, make the "comment" field of a mp3 an allowed field for Smart Playlist rules.
I use the comments for individual grouping my music files, eg. "summer 06". Would be great if this works in XMBC just like in iTunes.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Great job, keep it up!
We don't read it, so that would have to be added first.

An extra field would also have to be added to the database table.

And finally, support for smart playlists would need adding.

As you can appreciate, it's no small task. It's also not something I'm particularly interested in having, so I'm unlikely to add it.

A patch will ofcourse be welcome, however.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I see! I even thought it's not that easy.
Possibly some other users have a need for that feature too and post it here. On the basis of that you maybe think about adding it again.

Best regards
Werner
What do you know, I happened to want to update the library to support rating songs, so while I was at it, I added a field for comments, and updated the tag scanners to support them.

Smart playlists have support for comment and ratings. There's no index on it, so I'd be interested to hear of performance on a large library with lots of comments.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I've never tried it out, so I only know what's in Wiki and what you've written.

If it's supported in the current build, I'll try it the next days.

Best regards
Werner
I added it to SVN about 5 minutes before I posted, so you'll need a nice new build for it to work. And obviously you'll have to rescan your files (best delete the musicdb as with the new scanning stuff you can't force a rescan of stuff that hasn't changed).

I'll update the wiki when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've just installed the new build (XBMC-SVN_2007-04-29_rev8692-T3CH) and rescaned all my music files in a new musicdb. Smart Playlist with rule on the comment field work great. Performance ist very good. I notice no delay on playlists with more than 100 entries.

Thank you very much for your great and quick work.

But I think there's a little problem with the mp3-scanner, because not every comment is written in the database.

Best regards,
Werner
You'll need to supply a file that doesn't scan the comment in. Feel free to PM me a link.

You could try to add performance by adding an index on the comment column of song table using sqlitespy:

CREATE INDEX idxSongComment ON song(comment)

Then try those bigger queries.

SQLiteSpy will tell you the timings of the queries as well, so run some tests on the same queries before and after adding the index:

select * from songview where comment like 'blahblah'

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've tested performance as described. Theres no difference with or without index. I've tested queries with up to 836 rows in return out of 1951 entries.

Best regards,
Werner

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
make Smart Playlists use the "comment" field0