Req tweaking song queue logic
@Milhouse:

I use standard OpenElec 6.0.1 with Kodi 15.2. I don't use the library or Upnp, I have everything organised under one directory /music (the default for my Synology 216+ device). This directory is mounted via SMB on Kodi. Last count was 72390 files, 5000+ directories.

When I want to play music I use the 'files' option, to scroll to the artist, then scroll to the album, then select track 1.

Scrolling to artist (listing all directory's under /music) is fast.
Scrolling to album is fast.
Starting playback on first track - sometimes more than 20 seconds wait.

My workaround is using Mysql for the library. I can do that at home, but Mysql is not an option for everybody.

This is a fairly standard use-case I think, playing mp3's in a folder. Starting of series or films is lightning fast, the files are much bigger. So throughput is not the issue. When I use a Win7 box, the problem goes away, so it looks the inefficient way the playlist is made uses too much CPU on the Synology.

Is that an answer for you? Am willing to upload logs etc, or to provide more info if needed.
File mode with music.... whats the point??

You don't even get any music data that way.

Just out of interest, why do you not scrape your music into the library and just browse Artist >> Album >> Track?

I'm really finding it hard to understand why file mode is used by some people...
(2016-02-18, 09:58)bartmans Wrote: My workaround is using Mysql for the library. I can do that at home, but Mysql is not an option for everybody.

Mysql fixes that? Sounds really strange to me. I guess there shouldn't be much difference where to query the data mysql or sqlite. At least at this particular case.
(2016-02-18, 09:58)bartmans Wrote: Is that an answer for you? Am willing to upload logs etc, or to provide more info if needed.

Yes thanks - it's really to try and understand the different ways people are hitting this problem which may hopefully lead to a more informed/complete solution, if such a solution is possible/necessary (disabling certain options or accessing the songs in a different way/node/view might be a better solution, or it may not).

(2016-02-18, 09:58)bartmans Wrote: My workaround is using Mysql for the library. I can do that at home, but Mysql is not an option for everybody.

How is this a workaround exactly - you said you were playing songs via Files (which incurs a delay) so what are you using the library for? Are you saying that with MySQL you don't experience any delay when playing via Music > Songs? But with SQLite you do? I'm not sure why there'd be any appreciable difference.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Okay, will try this weekend to upload a log.

Habit is why I'm using file mode. Since discovering XMBC I've listened to my music that way, it was never a point when using a Windows PC. It became an issue when I started using Pi's for this. Mostly I find an album, start at track 1 and listen to the end. I'm an oldie maybe (43 ...), but I like albums not tracks.

I have no idea why using Mysql works. I have replicated this over the weekend. Using clean OpenElec and clean Synology. Before using Mysql a very noticeable delay when starting a MP3, after 'installing' Mysql on the Pi, almost no delay.

As I say: will try to upload relevant logs.
(2016-02-18, 14:31)bartmans Wrote: Mostly I find an album, start at track 1 and listen to the end. I'm an oldie maybe (43 ...), but I like albums not tracks.

Assuming you have your music files organised <artists> / <albums> / <songs>, then navigating to an album folder and playing track #1 will queue up only the tracks for that album, whether using MySQL or not (or even no library at all, ie. accessing via Music > Files). Since most albums only have 10-15 tracks this is not a problem for even an RPi1 - it's when the listing contains hundreds or thousands of songs that the delay becomes quite noticeable, but this is normally seen when accessing the Songs node via the library, I'm not sure how you could access so many songs to incur a delay via Files unless you've got a single directory containing thousands of songs...?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Probably in file mode it queues all the files, not just the ones within a directory.
(2016-02-18, 15:44)scf2k Wrote: Probably in file mode it queues all the files, not just the ones within a directory.

No, I posted my comment after testing what happens with Music > Files > <artist> > <album> (both with and without a library), and what happens in Music > Library. My folder structure is <artists> / <albums> / <songs>, and the same files/tracks are queued for both Files and Library when playing a song from an album. The Files node will queue all of the files in the current album directory, while the library node will queue all of the album tracks for the current album. So when playing a song from an album via either Files or the library, you'd normally only expect a dozen or so tracks to be queued for any album, which isn't taxing at all. If hundreds of songs are being queued then clearly I've missed something out...
(2016-02-17, 10:58)zag Wrote: I always thought there was no point in a "Songs" node, its just a list of all tracks. How on earth are you supposed to browse that?

Why not use the Artist >> Album nodes to browse your music? This method of navigation seems much more logical.

I'd have the same argument for removing the Albums node, totally pointless in my opinion.

@zag,

I very often do use the Albums node to browse my large library. I prefer to listen to albums, rather than songs, so its easier for me to scroll through albums sorted by Artist to find whatever it is I feel like listening to.
(2016-02-20, 21:06)khaoohs Wrote: @zag,

I very often do use the Albums node to browse my large library. I prefer to listen to albums, rather than songs, so its easier for me to scroll through albums sorted by Artist to find whatever it is I feel like listening to.

Sure but its far quicker to go Artist >> Album

Just trying to understand peoples use case for this.
(2016-02-20, 21:06)khaoohs Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 10:58)zag Wrote: I always thought there was no point in a "Songs" node, its just a list of all tracks. How on earth are you supposed to browse that?

Why not use the Artist >> Album nodes to browse your music? This method of navigation seems much more logical.

I'd have the same argument for removing the Albums node, totally pointless in my opinion.

@zag,

I do the same
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I do use Genre the most since I listen to music depending on my mood Smile

About Song view, I do use it regularly as a search thing, I do vaguely remember the name of a song but nothing more I can find it back there. (But yet a pure listing of 22K songs is not that useful)

I know there's addons for global search but maybe something native could fit that need.

And as a useful tool for music games sometimes with friends at home.

About speed problem AFAIK the problem http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196537 is still completely actual. (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1732610) and not related to auto queue.
@TE:

If u want to prevent long loading times, add ur songs to the library (as simple as that.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tweaking song queue logic0