New Playlist idea
Hey, all. I was reading the wiki on different playlist options that Kodi has, but couldn’t find one that would accomplish exactly what I want to do, so I thought that I would toss it out as a suggestion. Here’s my situation. I recently bought a bunch of TV series on DVD, and ripped them to my NAS. What I want to do, is create a playlist that would play 1 episode, from each series, in a rotation, in order from beginning to end. So say I have 3 TV series, Series A, Series B, and Series C. The Playlist would play Episode 1 from Series A, then Episode 1 from Series B, then Episode 1 from Series C. Then, it would go back and play Episode 2 from Series A and keep going in that manner.

What would be even better is if it would take into consideration how many episodes are in each series, and then space out the episodes so that each series would finish up at about the same time. That way shorter series won’t end too quickly and you won’t end up just binge watching some really long series. For example, if Series A and B have 100 episodes each and Series C only has 50 episodes, maybe the playlist could play 2 episodes from Series A and B before playing 1 episode from series 3.

It would also be great if once you compiled the playlist, started watching it, and then added another series to the playlist, Kodi would automatically space the new episodes out with the remaining unwatched episodes in the playlist, and not space them out over the entirety of the playlist, which could cause some episodes to not be played, if you’re already past that part in the playlist.

Another feature that this playlist would need is the ability to resume where previously left off or restart last episode if less than a couple of minutes into it. That way, if you watch a couple of episodes, and a new one starts, but you decide that you want to stop before the opening credits are over, Kodi won’t count that episode as watched and move on to the next episode when watching the playlist is resumed.

Also, there would need to be the ability to deselect certain sub-folders within a series folder. That way, if you just wanted to watch the actual episodes, you could deselect any additional sub-folders that contain extras, etc.

Here’s what I don’t want to do. I don’t want to just binge watch one series at a time, because that can get boring after a while. Also, I don’t just want to watch episodes at random, as I want to keep the continuity of each series. My only other option is to forgo the playlist solution and manually keep track of each episode that I watch, but that could get cumbersome after a while. A smart playlist that could encompass all of these features would be so much better. Anyway, I understand and appreciate all of the time and effort the devs spend on making Kodi such a great application, and I know that every user request can’t be implemented, but I thought that this would be a great addition, so just wanted to toss it out there. Cheers!
Holy mother.....I'm not gonna lie, I had to spark a bowl half way through that because I did not feel like I was on your level when you wrote that lol. Now, what you are asking is possible by manually setting up the playlists exactly the way you said, have it alternate shows, but keep episode continuity. Obviously, that will be tedious and quite a hair puller if you have a bunch of shows (which you probably do).

With that being said, if you don't want to manually set it up, this would work well as an addon. I would take a look at psuedotv or similar addons if you haven't already. That may be a more viable solution for you for the time being.
I am not sure if this would be close to what are attempting to do but you may want to check out: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:LazyTV
please ask next Time first in the Supportforum!!

Smartplaylist (episodes) which contains all Shows (you would like to list), sort by Episode. e voila.

was this realy so hard?
(2016-02-26, 16:49)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: please ask next Time first in the Supportforum!!

Smartplaylist (episodes) which contains all Shows (you would like to list), sort by Episode. e voila.

was this realy so hard?

No need for that kind of attitude, I would say OBVIOUSLY he/she didn't know the capabilities of smart playlist, otherwise he/she wouldn't have asked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Playlist idea0